Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2017, 02:48 PM

289 posts, read 776,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Not sure what you are talking about. When I was a kid no one ever went to that part of downtown. Today it is growing with nice restaurants, one picked as the best Italian restaurant in the state, new hotels, new business, new condos and this is before the convention center expansion and new arena.
You don’t have a clue, man.

I think Angelo’s has been fairly successful, but I recently read that Rosario’s closed. The new brewery is nice, but I can’t tell if it appeals to Pueblo’s population. Places like this in the Denver area are usually bustling with a younger crowd. There’s a few office buildings, but I don’t necessarily see those as money-makers for the city. And then you have the little trinket stores on Union avenue.

Sorry Joss, but you can’t convince me that the Riverwalk is generating the revenue they thought it would when the plans came to fruition. And now they want to kick neighboring businesses out, cutting dozens of jobs so they can build a swimming pool?

Good grief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 03:27 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,459,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Let's Go Here View Post
You don’t have a clue, man.

I think Angelo’s has been fairly successful, but I recently read that Rosario’s closed. The new brewery is nice, but I can’t tell if it appeals to Pueblo’s population. Places like this in the Denver area are usually bustling with a younger crowd. There’s a few office buildings, but I don’t necessarily see those as money-makers for the city. And then you have the little trinket stores on Union avenue.

Sorry Joss, but you can’t convince me that the Riverwalk is generating the revenue they thought it would when the plans came to fruition. And now they want to kick neighboring businesses out, cutting dozens of jobs so they can build a swimming pool?

Good grief.
You are telling only part of it.

Sure Rosario's closed but I knew he was going to move for a while now and already a new restaurant has opened, 21 Steak. The Place, a restaurant by the Riverwalk, is my favorite restaurant, I was there last night, and they do well. Then there are a few good restaurants on Union Ave that do good. Plus a lot of the condos are sold out. The old Alpha Beta Building is being remodeled to a train center, the Professional Bullriders (PBR) is in a nice 4 story building and they are building the arena and will host a international school, AT&T is still there, etc. Plus once the convention center gets expanded plus a new arena I am told 3 new hotels will be built to support it and that will cause even more restaurants to open. Plus the study for the water park is still going on and that will add even more guests to downtown and they have yet to expand the Riverwalk all the way to the lake but it is getting closer as it will be expanded a little bit more next year. So yes the area is not at its full potential but its well on the right path.

Last edited by Josseppie; 11-25-2017 at 04:32 PM..

Old 11-26-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
You are telling only part of it.

Sure Rosario's closed but I knew he was going to move for a while now and already a new restaurant has opened, 21 Steak. The Place, a restaurant by the Riverwalk, is my favorite restaurant, I was there last night, and they do well. Then there are a few good restaurants on Union Ave that do good. Plus a lot of the condos are sold out. The old Alpha Beta Building is being remodeled to a train center, the Professional Bullriders (PBR) is in a nice 4 story building and they are building the arena and will host a international school, AT&T is still there, etc. Plus once the convention center gets expanded plus a new arena I am told 3 new hotels will be built to support it and that will cause even more restaurants to open. Plus the study for the water park is still going on and that will add even more guests to downtown and they have yet to expand the Riverwalk all the way to the lake but it is getting closer as it will be expanded a little bit more next year. So yes the area is not at its full potential but its well on the right path.
I think you’re missing the point.

All I’m saying is that the city should spend this money on improving the community, not on boosting tourism. Maybe invest in more police officers and find a way to fix the drug problem. If that happens, maybe it’ll become a more attractive place for employers who can help boost the economy.

Old 11-26-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
I think you’re missing the point.

All I’m saying is that the city should spend this money on improving the community, not on boosting tourism. Maybe invest in more police officers and find a way to fix the drug problem. If that happens, maybe it’ll become a more attractive place for employers who can help boost the economy.
You can walk and chew gum at the same time. We passed a tax hike to hire more police officers and if you have not noticed the opiate/ heroin Epidemic is a national problem. So boosting tourism will help the city grow in the long run.

Old 11-26-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
You can walk and chew gum at the same time. We passed a tax hike to hire more police officers and if you have not noticed the opiate/ heroin Epidemic is a national problem. So boosting tourism will help the city grow in the long run.
Pueblo will never be a tourist destination. It doesn’t have the natural beauty nor the nearby landmarks that are typical of tourist towns. When someone is planning a trip to Colorado, I highly doubt that Pueblo is among their destinations. Expanding the Riverwalk and building a water park may increase patronage from locals, but it won’t boost tourism to the level of many Colorado destinations.

What is it with the City’s leadership thinking that boosting tourism is the answer to the city’s woes??

Old 11-26-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Pueblo will never be a tourist destination. It doesn’t have the natural beauty nor the nearby landmarks that are typical of tourist towns. When someone is planning a trip to Colorado, I highly doubt that Pueblo is among their destinations. Expanding the Riverwalk and building a water park may increase patronage from locals, but it won’t boost tourism to the level of many Colorado destinations.

What is it with the City’s leadership thinking that boosting tourism is the answer to the city’s woes??
It depends on the type of tourism your talking about. Regional tourism is a growing market here why the need to make the convention center larger.

Old 11-26-2017, 12:08 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Riverwalk should be done for the sake of those who live there, i.e., cities should stop trying for "free money" from bilking the tourist hordes that invade certain cities, like they do Estes Park or Manitou Springs, CO or Asheville, NC, or Branson, MO, or Gatlinburg, TN, that make these places wacky beehives of spastic activity every year.

Build a city for the people who live there. If you build it nice enough the people will come live there and their property taxes will support the city.

If it were me, I'd tear out I-25 that bifurcates the city, as it also does to Trinidad. I'd build a new I-25 out east of the steel mill and restore the city to being a whole city that's quiet enough to enjoy and walk around. Just walking under the bridge of an interstate highway is a jarring experience, you may as well build a moat around the city to keep people out.

Most riverwalks are a minor gimmick, little more than shallow drainage canals with bathtub boats offering circus rides like a Disney park. I've ridden in riverwalks at Disneyworld, Gaylord Opryland and San Antonio and will never ride in another of these stupid things, don't even want to walk along one of these silly contrivances. The one riverwalk that I really enjoyed was in Davenport, IA along the Mississippi River; now THAT is a true riverwalk, with a baseball stadium, eateries, hotels, jazz bars .... and it's a real river.

Pueblo has no real tourist draw and probably never will other than the Arkansas River and reservoir. If they build a livable city with sufficient integral vibrancy, they will attract some of the boomer retirement wave. Time is getting short on the boomer demographic as they are retiring now and looking for safe, clean, active, walkable, and affordable places with the variety of services to support them.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 11-26-2017 at 02:14 PM..

Old 11-26-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
It depends on the type of tourism your talking about. Regional tourism is a growing market here why the need to make the convention center larger.
How do you define “regional tourism?” And how is the expanded convention center going to boost such tourism? I lived in Pueblo for a while, and I can only remember visiting the convention center 2 or 3 times, and I don’t recall too many major conventions taking place in Pueblo, either. This is why it’s fair to question the expansion.

Old 11-26-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Riverwalk should be done for the sake of those who live there, i.e., cities should stop trying for "free money" from bilking the tourist hordes that invade certain cities, like they do Estes Park or Manitou Springs, CO or Asheville, NC, or Branson, MO, or Gatlinburg, TN, that make these places wacky beehives of spastic activity every year.

Build a city for the people who live there. If you build it nice enough the people will come live there and their property taxes will support the city.

If it were me, I'd tear out I-25 that bifurcates the city, as I-25 does to Trinidad. I build a new I-25 out east of the steel mill and restore the city to being a whole city that's quiet enough to enjoy and walk around. Just walking under the bridge of an interstate highway is a jarring experience, you may as well build a moat around the city to keep people out.

Most riverwalks are a minor gimmick, little more than shallow drainage canals with bathtub boats offering circus rides like a Disney park. I've ridden in riverwalks at Disneyworld, Gaylord Opryland and San Antonio and will never ride in another of these stupid things, don't even want to walk along one of these silly contrivances. The one riverwalk that I really enjoyed was in Davenport, IA along the Mississippi River; now THAT is a true riverwalk, with a baseball stadium, eateries, hotels, jazz bars .... and it's a real river.

Pueblo has no real tourist draw and probably never will other than the Arkansas River and reservoir. If they build a livable city with sufficient integral vibrancy, they will attract some of the boomer retirement wave. Time is getting short on the boomer demographic as they are retiring now and looking for safe, clean, active, walkable, and affordable places with the variety of services to support them.
Agreed on most of your points. I think the Riverwalk was well-intentioned when the plans rolled out, but it isn’t generating enough revenue for the city. Thus, they continue to throw money at the problem - thinking all of these expansions/additions will generate more traffic. I’m not saying they should eliminate it - it really is a nice place to go in Pueblo. It just doesn’t appeal to Pueblo’s population, nor is it a draw for outsiders.

Old 11-26-2017, 02:18 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Agreed on most of your points. I think the Riverwalk was well-intentioned when the plans rolled out, but it isn’t generating enough revenue for the city. Thus, they continue to throw money at the problem - thinking all of these expansions/additions will generate more traffic. I’m not saying they should eliminate it - it really is a nice place to go in Pueblo. It just doesn’t appeal to Pueblo’s population, nor is it a draw for outsiders.
True. No doubt they feel compelled to try and compete with the 16th Street Pedestrian Mall in Denver but Pueblo's riverwalk will never come within a country mile of Denver's attraction. Bigger point is that no one is going to drive a hundred miles from Denver down to Pueblo to see this thing. We had model railroad shows in Colorado Springs and though we advertised in Denver no one ever bothered to make the 65 mile trip. The place will have to find its niche and build a local following.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado