Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2010, 09:06 AM

664 posts, read 2,066,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
When I say that Pueblo has a good chance of being the largest city in the state I am referring to the largest city not MSA. That is because of all the larger cities in the state Pueblo has the most room to expand plus Pueblo has a large downtown that can become just as dense as downtown Denver. In fact Pueblo is working on the Riverwalk/ convention center area and the Riverwalk is only 1/2 finished and the convention center is the second largest publicly owned facility in the state at 49,000 square feet and it will be expanded to 94,000 square feet but has room to expand more in the future. I have talked about it earlier in this thread but the Riverwalk area will be to Pueblo what LODO is to Denver. However, I don't think the Pueblo MSA will top 3 million anytime soon so I think the Denver MSA is safe. That is why I call Pueblo "Colorado's second city" not "Colorado's first city".
I know. I mentioned how Pueblo also has the advantage of not having incorporated suburbs to compete with for development. Remember Colorado Springs and Aurora both have a large frontier to the east so they have large growth possibilities. It all depends on who can attract jobs and who wants to grow that much. And Pueblo still needs to expand 6-fold to surpass Denver and that assumes no other city passes it first.

Pueblo's downtown as dense as downtown Denver Last time I was there I didn't see many large high-rises like in Denver and up is where the density comes from. Population-wise Pueblo may get dense but 'stuff-wise' it won't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 09:26 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,459,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilicheesefries View Post
I know. I mentioned how Pueblo also has the advantage of not having incorporated suburbs to compete with for development. Remember Colorado Springs and Aurora both have a large frontier to the east so they have large growth possibilities. It all depends on who can attract jobs and who wants to grow that much. And Pueblo still needs to expand 6-fold to surpass Denver and that assumes no other city passes it first.

Pueblo's downtown as dense as downtown Denver Last time I was there I didn't see many large high-rises like in Denver and up is where the density comes from. Population-wise Pueblo may get dense but 'stuff-wise' it won't.
You are right as it will be hard to tell which city will end up as the largest city but I think Pueblo has the advantage because not only are we expanding with developments like Pueblo Springs but we are developing our downtown to make it more dense. Even the area around CSU Pueblo known as Thunder Village will be dense with a urban center. In fact in a article in the Denver Post when the Riverwalk was started said they could easily see Pueblo passing 500,000 people because of this.

You are correct downtown Denver is more dense then downtown Pueblo now but Pueblo has the second largest urban center in the state, larger then the urban areas of Fort Collins and Colorado Springs combined. So as our downtown continues to grow with infill you will see it becoming dense and be home to thousands of people. In fact before the recession Pueblo almost got a corporate headquarters to move here and build 2 sky scrapers that would of been the tallest buildings in southern Colorado. Unfortunately the recession put a end to that but we are still home to a few corporate headquarters so when this recession ends downtown Pueblo should continue its growth and I would suspect you will see a different sky line in Pueblo in 2020 then you see now.

This is the Professional Bull Riders corporate headquarters, they are located on the Riverwalk.

Some condos being built on the Riverwalk

Old 04-29-2010, 05:20 PM

This is getting annoying, even for me. They have been saying they are going to start construction of this building for about a year now. Now the new start date is June 1, I will see if they actually start this time. BTW how can the Chieftain say its a "new proposal" when its the same building that has been talked about for months. Come on now, that is not something I would do and I am the biggest booster of Pueblo there is.

A new retail and office building to overlook the Historic Arkansas Riverwalk of Pueblo, boasting the latest energy-efficient technology, was unveiled Monday.

The link: http://www.chieftain.com/news/local/...cc4c03286.html

Old 04-30-2010, 07:56 PM

Talking Downtown Pueblo

Two more construction projects in Pueblo are about finished, the addition to Parkview Medical Center and the remodeled and addition for the new condos on the Riverwalk. Now hopefully the new retail building on the Riverwalk will break ground in May and the new court building will start soon after to keep things going till Pueblo can get the state grant and then the largest construction project in downtown in my lifetime can begin.

The condo building on the Riverwalk

Parkview Medical Center

Old 05-04-2010, 07:41 PM

Talking looking east to Downtown Pueblo

I wanted to post a different view of downtown Pueblo so on my way home I stopped and went to the mesa that overlooks downtown Pueblo from the west and took these pictures. Not the best as I don't know how to take a panoramic view but I think it does a ok job of showing how there are a few buildings that stand above the tree line.

You can see Parkview Medical Center, Midtown with Express Scripps that was actually one of the first shopping centers in the state as it was built back in the 1950's. Finally the senior towers and you can see part of the train yard.

In the future I would like to see more towers at Parkview and more around the park. plus I think Midtown is a perfect place for two highrise's.

This is a different angle of the same view. I liked it so I had to post it. You can, also, see CSU Pueblo in the back ground. Keep in mind this is from the south side and the university is on the far north east side.

This is a close up view of 3 senior towers and some downtown houses.

This is a good view if the Financial district. You can see the Wells Fargo Buildings, Qwest Building, Thatcher Building among others. I would like to see a corporate headquarters move here and build 2 buildings over 20 stories. My dream would be to have HP move back as before the recession I had heard they were looking. You can also see the new bridge being built from the south side to downtown, to me that is a awesome bridge.

On this and the previous pictures you can see how busy the train yard is in Pueblo!

Another view of the Financial district with the new 4th street bridge construction.

This is a view of the Riverwalk area. You can see the Marriott hotel, Lake Elizabeth, power plant, senior towers and part of the railroad yard. I am hoping this view changes a lot once the next phase of the Riverwalk/ Convention Center development starts. Plus in the future I would like to see the power plant close and developers renovate it to condos, retail shops and restaurants.

This is a close up view of the historic train depot. In the future I would like to see this be the hub for the southern HSR network, Colorado and New Mexico lines, and Amtrak line as well as local light rail and trolleys.

Last edited by Josseppie; 05-04-2010 at 08:56 PM..

Old 05-07-2010, 10:46 PM

The view from Main street by 1st street.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:00 PM

I was in downtown Pueblo tonight and took some night pictures of the area around 1st and Main.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:34 PM

More work being done on the new condos by the Riverwalk.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:32 PM

Talking More pictures of the Wild Wild West Fest

I told you guys I took a lot of pictures. Here are more. Enjoy!

This is the last of my pictures I have of the Wild Wild West fest. Tomorrow I will post some of the PBR Event. So I wanted to say that obviously I know Pueblo is not the largest city in the state nor the richest but I am really proud of what we, as a city, have accomplished with our downtown, especially given our lack of resources. I am hopeful and excited that as we continue to improve our downtown it will be even better in 2020 then it is now.

Two pictures I took of the Riverwalk while at the fest.

Native American village. I liked it because they had teepees next to highrise's. Kind of a odd combination.

This is the mountain man village. I liked this picture because it shows the El Pueblo Museum behind it. You can't see it but Fort Pueblo is here as well.

The rides area for the kids.

Last edited by Josseppie; 05-17-2010 at 10:41 PM..

Old 05-17-2010, 10:41 PM

299 posts, read 903,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
So, Goyanks, what did YOU do this past weekend that was such exciting, unique world-cass entertainment that contributed loads to the economy? Because if something like that is readily available around here on a typical weekend, we'd like to now.

Or are you just trolling?
Let's see, I don't have to go to walk around at a "festival" where there really isn't anything that exciting going on in order to be entertained. I'm more content when I'm sitting in front of my high-definition TV in my small house on the east side of town watching a baseball game with my dad and drinking a cold beer.

Maybe we think differently, but my idea of REAL entertainment is going to Denver for a Bruce Springsteen concert, going to a Broncos or Nuggets game, or going up to Boulder for the CU-CSU football game. All of these "festivals" that we have in Pueblo don't interest me, but heck, if I were like some people who never travel north of Colorado Springs, I would consider these "festivals" monumental events, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado