Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 08:46 AM

73 posts, read 188,064 times

Advertisements

I am a native and still to this day a long time resident of Phoenix, AZ. Without going into much detail my wife of 29 years and myself have decided to leave this area and hopefully relocate to cooler climates in a few years. Salida, CO came up in discussion. Now to be honest, I am a big city boy. But, I always romanced the ideas of living in a small community. Something about it seems to appeal to me. Such as not having to suck in the fumes daily from commercial jets flying in of this drought stricken dust bowl where I presently live. Still, with me in reality there is a certain amount of apprehension thinking about moving to a small town. Something I'm sure I can overcome when I can see the "positives" out-weigh my apprehension.

Now, this is where the title "Salida Residents" come in. Please give me your positives as well as your negatives in "Readers Digest" format regarding the community you live in. I would be very interested to know!

BTW my wife and I are planning a visit in August on the weekend of the 26th & the 27th........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2006, 07:35 PM

431 posts, read 2,793,208 times
Salida is great but about 2 hrs away from big city shopping. But if you travel highway 50 coming from the east. There are several small towns along the way before you reach Salida. Some real small with Pueblo being largest on Hiway 50. Colordo Springs, Pueblo are all about 2 hr drive from Salida. But Salida has a Walmart, lumber yards, hardware store, car dealers,etc. nice people and you can walk the streets without worry but it does roll up its sidewalks at 10. It is on the Arkansas river. I would like to live in Salida. It has a shorter growing season than we do, a hr east, but it is on the whole cooler but not bad in the winter either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by onehotzonie
I am a native and still to this day a long time resident of Phoenix, AZ. Without going into much detail my wife of 29 years and myself have decided to leave this area and hopefully relocate to cooler climates in a few years. Salida, CO came up in discussion. Now to be honest, I am a big city boy. But, I always romanced the ideas of living in a small community. Something about it seems to appeal to me. Such as not having to suck in the fumes daily from commercial jets flying in of this drought stricken dust bowl where I presently live. Still, with me in reality there is a certain amount of apprehension thinking about moving to a small town. Something I'm sure I can overcome when I can see the "positives" out-weigh my apprehension.

Now, this is where the title "Salida Residents" come in. Please give me your positives as well as your negatives in "Readers Digest" format regarding the community you live in. I would be very interested to know!

BTW my wife and I are planning a visit in August on the weekend of the 26th & the 27th........

Old 08-02-2006, 12:36 PM

73 posts, read 188,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadine
Salida is great but about 2 hrs away from big city shopping. But if you travel highway 50 coming from the east. There are several small towns along the way before you reach Salida. Some real small with Pueblo being largest on Hiway 50. Colordo Springs, Pueblo are all about 2 hr drive from Salida. But Salida has a Walmart, lumber yards, hardware store, car dealers,etc. nice people and you can walk the streets without worry but it does roll up its sidewalks at 10. It is on the Arkansas river. I would like to live in Salida. It has a shorter growing season than we do, a hr east, but it is on the whole cooler but not bad in the winter either.
Thank you Nadine!

We're some what closer to our vacation time and I have to say "We're excited" to see what our prospect are in moving there a few years from now! That is our main focus once we're there. If all looks good, then we will plan a trip there in the winter time to experience the surroundings. Our up-coming vacation reservations are made for our trip there and back now. This includes a trip on the Royal Gorge RR, a few days in Colorado Springs & a long discussion on our trip back about Salida.

Old 11-29-2006, 02:27 PM

1,742 posts, read 3,115,680 times
Default Does anyone here reside in Salida?

We are considering relocating to Salida and I was wondering what the positives and negatives of the town/ area are. Thanks

Old 11-29-2006, 05:27 PM

226 posts, read 1,369,369 times
I live in Larkspur, a neighboring town to Sedalia that shares many of Sedalia’s characteristics. Sedalia is a nice area I have assisted several buyers in that area. The town of Sedalia does not have many amenities except for a couple of restaurants and a gas station so you will be going into Castle Rock for most of what you need. If you are looking for homes online be careful because Sedalia covers a very wide geographic area. Many areas are only 5 or 10 minutes from Castle Rock, but other areas will be out in the mountain almost to Deckers and it will take you well over an hour on dirt roads to get to any sort of civilization.

Home prices in Sedalia range from $200k for smaller more remote properties to over $2mil for really nice homes on 35+ acres.

If you give me a little more information I can recommend a couple of areas to look at. Do you have horses? How much acreage do you want? Do you want something newer and larger or older or smaller? What price range?

Good luck with your upcoming move.

Old 11-29-2006, 05:54 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,340,169 times
I think the poster asked about Salida, not Sedalia. Salida is a small mountain town about an hour west of Canyon City and an hour south of Buena Vista. Sedalia is basically a suburb of Denver.

Old 11-29-2006, 07:33 PM

648 posts, read 2,939,839 times
Salida is in the mountains. If you have questions about Salida, my sister-in-law is from that and I can pass your questions on to her. bashep

Old 11-30-2006, 07:42 AM

That would be great bashep. What is the economic outlook? Are jobs plentiful and do you see much growth in the area? Also, what is the largest employer?
We might pop out for a look/see next week. Feel free for her to use my personal email: mailtoroveick@verizon.net
Thank you, RP

Old 11-30-2006, 02:48 PM

648 posts, read 2,939,839 times
Hey there- I will forward your questions to her and see what she has to say! talk to you soon!
bashep

Old 11-30-2006, 02:51 PM

Thanks bashep, I appreciate that. RP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado