Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 09:24 PM

132 posts, read 350,946 times

Advertisements

What was it like? How were the town people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 07:24 AM

8 posts, read 30,509 times
We live in Ridgway which is about 45 miles from Telluride. We work in Telluride. The people are friendly, the cost of living there is expensive.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:19 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
I don't live in Telluride, but I've spent a lot of time there over the last 40 years plus--from back when Telluride was still just a mining town. Some of my former in-laws grew up in Telluride--they left there before the "beautiful people" showed up.

So what is Telluride? Mostly a bunch of idle rich living in hideously overpriced real estate (most all of them part-time residents and almost none of them with any Colorado roots); a passle of old and latter-day trust fund hippies; a transient and ever-overturning group of ski bums; and some developers, construction and real estate leeches whose only means of existence is developing and paving over one of Colorado's formerly least developed and least despoiled places. It is a place that, for over 30 years, has tolerated--if not outright condoned illicit recreational drug use. There is absolutely nothing about the place that would allow it to be considered even remotely as a normal middle-class American small town. It's none of that.

I will grant that the area surrounding the town that has not been raped (yet) by the ski area, developers, and trophy home builders is a beautiful place to visit, but I wouldn't live there if they paid me. I do have a very good friend who lives there--one of the few "normal" people I've ever met from the town. This person has been there since the days that Telluride was a mining town, and has held one of the few half-decent paying year-round jobs available in the town for all of that time. This person is now at retirement age--and plans to relocate elsewhere immediately upon retirement. That ought to tell you something.

So, if that kind of town sounds appealing, go for it, I guess. Most "normal" middle-class folks, when they found out what the place really is, want to have nothing to do with it.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:56 AM

132 posts, read 350,946 times
I'm not sure if I'm "normal", but I guess I'm middle class. My wife is a teacher and we are considering Telluride. They do have affordable apartments for people who work in Telluride and I imagine we could drive to one of the wal-marts that are 1- 1.5 hrs away once or twice a month to by food and goods.

My question is :Would we be osterized because we are christians?

I guess the only normal people would be the people who work for the wealthy people there?

Old 03-04-2009, 11:14 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
bhouston77386 wrote:
My question is :Would we be osterized because we are christians?

Your religion is noboby elses business. It's a personal choice....anywhere. When religious issues arise it is usually because of proselitizing and/or attempts to convert those not seeking conversion. As long as you practice your religion and leave the proselitizing/conversion to the TV evangelists, you'll be OK...anywhere. Telluride is no exception.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:49 AM

541 posts, read 1,224,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
bhouston77386 wrote:
Your religion is noboby elses business. It's a personal choice....anywhere. When religious issues arise it is usually because of proselitizing and/or attempts to convert those not seeking conversion. As long as you practice your religion and leave the proselitizing/conversion to the TV evangelists, you'll be OK...anywhere. Telluride is no exception.
Not really my experience at all in super liberal enclaves, which a trustafarian mecca like this has every indication of being. The mere mention of church often draws sneers from these types.

As for leaving proseletyzation out, well, per the Great Commission, that's not exactly an option if one follows the teachings of Christ. That said, there's a difference between following the teachings of Christ and being an all-out condescending nuisance--something in my experience that super libs/trustafarians could probably take a lesson on, as well.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:09 PM

1,664 posts, read 4,362,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingtc View Post
We live in Ridgway which is about 45 miles from Telluride. We work in Telluride. The people are friendly, the cost of living there is expensive.
So you commute 90 miles every day? What kind of job justifies that?

Old 03-04-2009, 08:17 PM

79 posts, read 288,038 times
At least his/her 90 mile commute is at 55-65 miles an hour through some of the most beautiful scenery in the world. I'd take that over a commute in Los Angeles on the 405 going 5 miles an hour for 3 hours any day!

I think a lot of people in Telluride attend church. If you count fresh tracks at chair 9 on a Sunday morning as church . . .

Old 03-05-2009, 11:49 PM

3 posts, read 21,548 times
Default Telluride

I have lived in Telluride and people don't care about your beliefs as long as you tolerate theirs. My father is a middle-class "normal" person and has happily lived there for 12 years apartments are small and can be hard to come by. As for the people who commute most of tellurides workforce commutes from the surrounding towns. Also many of the students commute 30 minutes to an hour for school. It's normal in this area.

Old 05-26-2014, 01:15 AM

52 posts, read 117,343 times
Most of the people I know in Telluride are non-judgemental and quite friendly. They live there, simply, because they can - it's one of the prettiest settings for a town I know of.

Most of them (contrary to popular belief) worked damned hard to get where they are, and they contribute to the community in big ways...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado