Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 12:35 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,152,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
You can absolutely find that in Castle Rock! In fact, neighborhoods in the $250k to $400k range far out-number those offering homes for a half-million and up.
Good to know for those looking to move there. I haven't found too many areas in Denver where there wasn't a large variety of homes in different price ranges. My neighborhood in SE Aurora is very middle class (most homes are in the $200Ks) but there is a subdivision that has homes that are very expensive (compared to ours) with huge layouts and all the extras. It's a good rule of thumb to not live in the most expensive house on the block or the cheapest. There just isn't a reason to live in a $500K house in Denver if doing so means you are financially stretched. Denver is unique (compared to other places I've lived) in that you don't have to be rich to have your kids in a great school district or to not worry incessantly about crime. There are plenty of middle class areas that will provide a family with a great place to live. That's not to say I wouldn't move if I won the lottery, but since that is unlikely, we will stay here in our perfect-for-us house in a friendly neighborhood in a great school district and enjoy our ability to go to breakfast every Sunday, take vacations, fix broken appliances, etc. Everyone has to find their own slice of heaven, but I think those moving from California (where a mediocre house can run you $500K) or the East Coast (same as California prices) tend to want to buy a house that is huge because in their minds it's cheap. A big house means a bigger property tax bill, more money to heat and cool it, more money to furnish it, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 05:14 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,544,016 times
Living in Lone Tree, which might be considered pretty high end due to the Heritage Hills and Heritage Estates gated communities, I've found that a $500k home in the Denver suburbs will make people think you're pretty well off. Maybe not rich, but well off. It's all relative though.

Castle Rock is one hell of a drive if you're planning on working in Denver - DTC might not be as bad, but weather will affect you. I live near Yosemite and Lincoln, which is near I25 and it takes me about 35 minutes to get to the Kipling exit on HWY 6 (in Lakewood) in the mornings if I leave by/before 7 am. Usually about 45 minutes to get home. Weather can easily double or triple that. A good snow storm can quadruple it.

If you want a small town feel, try looking at Parker. It's closer to DTC and might have what you want. Littleton is just about as far from DTC as Castle Rock. South Aurora is pretty nice and can have a number of options in that price range. There a pocket in Englewood that you might like near Orchard road and Jamaica, east of I25. It's very close to DTC and in between the Park Meadows mall and downtown Denver. Very convenient. We almost chose a house there.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:18 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
I live near Yosemite and Lincoln, which is near I25 and it takes me about 35 minutes to get to the Kipling exit on HWY 6 (in Lakewood) in the mornings if I leave by/before 7 am. Usually about 45 minutes to get home.
What route do you take? My wife and I are looking at your general area but were wonder if it were too far should she get a job at the Federal Center.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:06 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times
Quote:
There a pocket in Englewood that you might like near Orchard road and Jamaica, east of I25. It's very close to DTC and in between the Park Meadows mall and downtown Denver. Very convenient. We almost chose a house there.
For some weird reason out of hell that area has an "Englewood" mailing address but it's nowhere remotely near Englewood, which is a small city centered on Hampden & Broadway just south of south Denver.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
What route do you take? My wife and I are looking at your general area but were wonder if it were too far should she get a job at the Federal Center.
I take I25 to HWY 6. It's not bad if you leave early. If you leave after 7:30 it can be pretty rough. It's a good 30 miles one way, which is pretty far. But I've made it to work in as little as 25 minutes leaving the house at 6:45 am. And at some point (maybe 5-8 years down the road) I've been told you'll be able to take light rail to that area. Lone Tree has a very accessible light rail station that goes downtown - my mother-in-law's boyfriend rides it to work every day.

Last edited by Ludachris; 04-08-2009 at 08:59 PM..

Old 04-08-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
For some weird reason out of hell that area has an "Englewood" mailing address but it's nowhere remotely near Englewood, which is a small city centered on Hampden & Broadway just south of south Denver.
I know - we were really confused about the city limits in that area too.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:40 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
Quote:
I take I25 to HWY 6. It's not bad if you leave early. Where is the Federal Center?
Right off 6 and Kipling.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Right off 6 and Kipling.
Just edited my post above after I looked it up...

Old 10-31-2009, 09:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,941 times
I am in the process of relocating to Castle Rock. I realize this may seem like a foolish question, but does anyone know if Castle Rock has a Little League Program? My boys are my top priority, and this means a lot to them.Thanksnk

Old 11-01-2009, 05:56 PM

302 posts, read 864,056 times
Quote:
My first question would be "where will you be working?" If the answer is "Downtown Denver" or "Haven't found a job yet" I would strongly caution you against Castle Rock. It looks to be a nice little down but there's really not a whole lot down there and really no jobs except for retail and county government, as far as I know. There's plenty of family oriented areas all over the Denver metro. Now if you're independently wealthy or telecommute, and don't mind heading up I-25 to Lone Tree and beyond for a of services, then CR looks like a good spot.
Wouldn't Castle Rock though be an ideal commute to either Colorado Springs or Denver (both rich with jobs, relatively speaking)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado