U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 06:50 PM

112 posts, read 375,835 times

Advertisements

This makes the second time this year that my wife has had an offer (in medical) to work in a ski resort town or area. The first was Bozeman MT.
Man, I was really rooting for that for her...but the money was nowhere accommodating for the cost of living there so we had to pass.

Part of the problem is that we live in Houston where, for the 4th largest city in the US, jobs are still pretty plentiful and housing is extremely reasonable. The drawback is that IT IS HOUSTON! Dirty, flat and boring with a yee-haw mentality.

Now there is an opportunity that presents itself in Steamboat that looks very good. The money is better but still not so good that we'd feel comfortable paying TWO HUNDRED GRAND more there for the house we have here!

That is the least expensive stuff I see on the market when I go to Realtor.com and like Bozeman, the houses start becoming plentiful at around 700k.

Is there any place close by that the average person can live for around 250k? Also, another problem I am finding is that residential rentals are hard to find because of all the seasonal stuff.

We would rent if we could get the room (need about 2400-2600) sq. feet
to fit our stuff in and we have two med sized dogs that have lived mostly indoors all their lives since puppies.

We would both love to move to Steamboat but only if we can afford the housing.. Where should I look and is there really hope?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 07:28 PM

7,349 posts, read 11,660,554 times
Hate to rain on your parade but the odds of living in Steamboat on the average salary are slim-to-none. You're probably going to end up working in Steamboat and living in Craig, Hayden, Oak Creek, or Yampa.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:51 PM

9,840 posts, read 20,536,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantis7 View Post
This makes the second time this year that my wife has had an offer (in medical) to work in a ski resort town or area. The first was Bozeman MT.
Man, I was really rooting for that for her...but the money was nowhere accommodating for the cost of living there so we had to pass.

Part of the problem is that we live in Houston where, for the 4th largest city in the US, jobs are still pretty plentiful and housing is extremely reasonable. The drawback is that IT IS HOUSTON! Dirty, flat and boring with a yee-haw mentality.

Now there is an opportunity that presents itself in Steamboat that looks very good. The money is better but still not so good that we'd feel comfortable paying TWO HUNDRED GRAND more there for the house we have here!

That is the least expensive stuff I see on the market when I go to Realtor.com and like Bozeman, the houses start becoming plentiful at around 700k.

Is there any place close by that the average person can live for around 250k? Also, another problem I am finding is that residential rentals are hard to find because of all the seasonal stuff.

We would rent if we could get the room (need about 2400-2600) sq. feet
to fit our stuff in and we have two med sized dogs that have lived mostly indoors all their lives since puppies.

We would both love to move to Steamboat but only if we can afford the housing.. Where should I look and is there really hope?
No there is no hope. When living up in the mountains in a ski resort, the demand is more than supply hence the higher prices. You have to trade off lifestyle choices for the housing expenses. If you love outdoor activities like skiing, rafting, hiking, etc, then you'll love it. There is no free lunch. So for what you trade off from houston in lower cost of living and tons of jobs you gain in ski town lifestyle living. All depends what you want in life. I did the ski resort thing in Vail and Steamboat for over seven years until that trade off wasn't worth it to me anymore.

Realistically you are stuck with the Steamboat area. Some people say oh just commute from Craig but that kind of defeats the purpose of living up there to begin with not to mention the sketchy commute over to Steamboat in the winter.

250K for 2500 sq ft, ROFL!!!! You wont even find that in rural mountain areas in colorado much less ski towns unless you live in a log hut with a outhouse miles from anywhere.

I don't think you should have any trouble finding a house rental. Check with the various local property management agencies. If you are lucky $2000 a month may find you a house/duplex that size.

Also I'd suggest renting to get a feel before sinking money in a house purchase. Steamboat was one of my least favorite ski towns, not from a visiting stand point which is fine, but actually living there. I found it way colder than Vail and Aspen and much more isolated in feeling.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:12 PM

Default Appreciate the candor

Thanks for putting it straight out there. I did my homework but sometimes there are options like the other towns nearby that aren't the resort environment. i don't have to have the ski resort environs to enjoy living in the Rockies.

Anybody suggest a company that deals only in rentals or somebody that knows the other areas like Craig and Hayden for those posibilities?

Also, may seem like a stupid question but do you need a 4x4 there or are teh roads pretty much cleared in the winter for normal cars?

Old 03-31-2009, 08:17 PM

I grew up in Craig but I haven't lived there in a long time. Craig isn't exactly postcard Colorado. There are mountains nearby but the town itself is in a high mountain desert with the Yampa River running right through it. There are trees in town but once you get out of town you can go for miles and not see one. The rent and average house price are a lot more reasonable than Steamboat.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:34 PM

Default Appreciate the candor

Thanks for putting it straight out there. I did my homework but sometimes there are options like the other towns nearby that aren't the resort environment. i don't have to have the ski resort environs to enjoy living in the Rockies.

Anybody suggest a company that deals only in rentals or somebody that knows the other areas like Craig and Hayden for those posibilities?

Also, may seem like a stupid question but do you need a 4x4 there or are teh roads pretty much cleared in the winter for normal cars?

Old 03-31-2009, 08:38 PM

Thanks much bluescreen... as far as jobs go, how do most people mak a living in Steamboat that arent connected wit the resort business directly? Where do most people who make average salaries live? I am not at all adverse to altering my lifestyle to live in a place with a real quality of life. What do you pwersonally think of the area?

Old 03-31-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Thanks much bluescreen... as far as jobs go, how do most people mak a living in Steamboat that arent connected wit the resort business directly? Where do most people who make average salaries live? I am not at all adverse to altering my lifestyle to live in a place with a real quality of life. What do you pwersonally think of the area?
For the most part (there are exceptions) they don't live in or near Steamboat because the housing is just too darn expensive. The town still has just about everything else...lawyers, banks, restaurants, etc, so finding a job not associated with the resort isn't impossible.

It's a great area but it can get bitterly cold in the winter. Plus the peripheral towns I've mentioned are all at least 20 miles from Steamboat. Craig's the furthest away at 40 miles. However, a lot of people work in Steamboat but live in Craig.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:

Craig and Hayden are really the only sizable communities within an hour. I don't find them particularly attractive or desirable towns to live in. Also from people I know that have done it, the commute down that road to Steamboat in the winter is not fun at times.

For Rocky Mtn. living if you didn't live in the Steamboat area, I couldn't see the point. I think if you took at trip up there and saw Steamboat and then saw Craig and Hayden you'd see my point.

With Steamboat they clear the roads, but the side streets not as much and they can get pretty icy. My first recommendation would be a good winter tire put before all wheel drive or 4x4. There is also the excellent winter driving school in town and it's the only proper winter driving school in North America.

As I said, Steamboat i found to be relatively isolated compared to summit or eagle county. You are about 1.5 hours away from any other place of significance.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
A significant percentage of people are dependent on tourist or 2nd home dollars either directly or indirectly. There would be a smaller percentage that are in services such as car repair or carpet cleaning or what have you.

Many people in ski towns due to the high cost of living have to have roommates or if coupled live in a duplex/condo. It's tougher to be able to afford a stand alone house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado