U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2009, 11:54 AM

296 posts, read 1,121,501 times

Advertisements

I have a question about Cripple Creek. Is there enough to do there to warrant staying a night or two with an 8 yo and 2 yo? We're looking to be in the Springs for a couple days but want to get up a little bit into the mountains. Is Cripple Creek a good choice?

I'd rather be in Ouray or Silverton camping, but this trip is for us and the kids.

Are there any other alternatives close to the Springs/Denver but further into the mountains that aren't uber expensive? We've previously stayed in Ouray, Frisco, Grand Lake, Boulder, Estes, but are looking for someplace new.

Any info appreciated.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 12:05 PM

23,649 posts, read 43,734,290 times
No. Cripple Creek has one thing, gambling. Okay, there is a tiny train ride and a tour of a gold mine, but doubt that the kids would like the mine tour, might even be a bit scary for the two year old.

COL SPGS has a good zoo and nearby Woodland Park has a dinosaur center.

Then there is the Royal Gorge theme park out in Canon City, as well as a real train ride (with lunch), and more. From there I think's it maybe an hour to the snowplay area of Monarch Mountain.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:53 PM

8 posts, read 33,734 times
You can try taking the kids on the cograil up to Pikes Peak and get some high altitude doughnuts. I don't know if it's open year round, but it might be. Just take a coat.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:27 PM

16,106 posts, read 24,723,178 times
I think it's open year round, but you have to get up there before the last run... about 1:00pm or something?

Ditto on Royal Gorge and consider going to Buckskin Joes for about a few hours! They have a little train too. But this is one scenic train ride that goes along the edge of the Gorge (not too close, but close enough to see down it a bit... Royal Gorge Scenic Railway). Gun fights!

I have pics of that somewhere. Evidently not on this computer.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:04 PM

23,649 posts, read 43,734,290 times
Regarding Pikes Peak, visitors need to know it's ALWAYS 30 degrees colder up there than down here. If it's 35 here, it 0-5 up there, usually with strong winds that have a wind chill of -30, worse some days. Take the train or drive up (conditions permitting). About 10 miles of Pikes Peak Hwy are paved, about 6 miles are not paved. Not too many guardrails either. The train is a neat trip for first timers, you get a narrated trip, often by a local railroad historian.

Regarding the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo here in COLO SPGS, they have a major Giraffe program and your kids can actually feed the Giraffe's at face level, with biscuits the zoo will sell you. Kids love it. Here's a picture.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:23 PM

The Giraffe is a bazarre animal, is it not?

Buckskin Joes pics

Old 04-04-2009, 11:10 AM

1,331 posts, read 4,782,534 times
Dog, yes, giraffes are bizarre!!!
My oldest son, when he was a lad, would ask, "what does a pig say....dog..lion, etc. I always said the noise, then, "what does a giraffe say?" What.... I don't know...took me 3 years to find out!
I used to ask this of the students at the beginning of the school year ( I was a school bus driver for Cherry Creek). Nobody ever knows it off hand!
let me know if you figure it out!! Of course, we have th internet now!!

Old 04-04-2009, 01:11 PM

9,803 posts, read 14,815,033 times
I was on a scenic narrow road ( about 20 years ago ) that led from Cripple Creek to Canon City .

Thought it was well worth the trip til it started drizzling( July) and that road got slippery.
(scared the heck out of me and I wasn't even the one driving )

Old 04-04-2009, 03:10 PM

24 posts, read 69,094 times
There are not too many things to do in Cripple Creek with children that young. The area is beautiful if you want to see the Heritage Museum and a few other mining attractions. Cripple Creek also has a theater where seasonal melodramas are performed. But, be aware it is a gambling town. You can also take a little train ride. So, all in all a day could be used in the area but if you aren't big gamblers and have two little ones with you I might advise only one day in this beautiful historic mining town.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:55 PM

Marmac, what are you saying? You rode down Phantom Canyon when it was raining?

That's pretty impressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado