Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 07:32 PM

12 posts, read 38,917 times

Advertisements

Hello . I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has lived in a mostly warm or tropical climate such as Florida (where I live-) or any other southern state and moved to a cold snowy climate ( such as Colo, WY, Utah or Montana) in their 50's. I want to know how you adjusted? or still adjusting? What were things you expected and didnt expect. How you deal with the snow , meaning : how do you handle getting your errands done? getting your mail... living your everyday life in the winter. Do you regret your move and see that it was a mistake? Or ? What about the effects of the winter on you physically. My husband and I are comtemplating this kind of move. We're both 55. I'm sure some people would love to move to Florida and get away from the cold. But, we were born and raised in Northern Florida and we're both tired of the year long summer and humidity. We'd like to live somewhere where it there's more seasons and we can have a mountain view ( we absolutely love the mountains out west) . Every vacation we travel to one of the states I mentioned. We love snowmobiling... but don't snow ski or do cross country. So, while we've only 'played' in the snow, we've never lived 24/7 in snow. so, we really don't know what its like . I know some of the questions have common sense answers, but we want to see if there's something we hadn't thought of or considered. Thanks , looking forward to the responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 08:12 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,465,055 times
First, most Coloradans do not live in the parts of the state where snowcover is prevalent all winter. In fact, in most of Colorado (and most of the Rocky Mountain West, for that matter), the ground is bare (and brown) most of the winter. Second, while winter in Colorado is colder than Florida in winter (duh!), it is not an icebox all winter statewide by any means. Temperatures can run from well below zero to 70¬į above in Colorado in winter--often with temperatures in that range found different places statewide on the same day! And, quite honestly, people who complain about most Colorado locale's weather in winter have never lived where there is real, brutal winter.

Finally, some people adjust and/or like winter or they don't. There isn't a one-size-fits-all answer. I am a Colorado native and have lived in the Rocky Mountain West all of my life. I'm past the half-century mark in age, and I don't really give winter a second thought. It's just a matter of being prepared for it when driving or being outside in winter weather. Like the old saying goes of the "6 P's": "Proper Preparation Precludes P**s-Poor Performance."

The winter affects different people different ways as far as health goes. My biggest complaint is dry skin--easily solved with an indoor humidifier and the liberal use of "udder cream" ( http://www.durvet.com/DS/113_DS.pdf ).

Old 04-03-2009, 08:29 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,920,709 times
We've lived in AZ and SoCal before moving here in '04. I had never used a snow shovel or blower in my life. I enjoy the winter months here. I get out and clean our drive and sidewalks way more than I actually need to. I love to walk our dog after a blizzard, even having to use snowshoes several times. We also live in Monument which usually ends up with twice the amount of snow as the rest of the front range. I am often amazed by the difference in the amount of snow when driving down to COS, only 10 miles away and 1000' lower. Really, only after you have lived here a few winters can you tell if you like it or not. Oh yeah, I'll be 55 this year

Old 04-03-2009, 08:58 PM

Thanks jazzlover and vfrpilot for your responses. We're hopeful for more responses giving us a view of Colorado life in winter... as we know we can handle the other seasons. Thanks ya'll.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:12 PM

252 posts, read 732,639 times
I live over in Nebraska--you know, West of CO., that funny shaped state??? Talk about cold winters, we got them! My parents became snow birds (to AZ) and, now, I've inherited their place down there. But I really 'kinda' like winter, here, and would prefer AZ in middle March when it's brown, here. I think Winter is pretty. The worst is the inconvenience of hunting around for my mittens and my boots and my hat and then, zipping up as opposed to just running out on the patio, barefoot. I don't know, winter takes a lot more energy....but, I think hot and humid or hot and dry are really overrated for beauty.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:53 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,441,334 times
For what it's worth, the guy who got me interested in Colorado is a SoCal native who moved to the Denver area in his late 60's and has no problem with the winters. He says he gets by fine with a light jacket most of the time. Of course everybody's different.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:11 AM

Thanks Escape California, that's certainly encouraging about your friend and him being in his 60's. Thanks Roots&bulbs also , much appreciated.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:32 AM

7,182 posts, read 9,309,123 times
I grew up in Phoenix and hated the hot summers. Phoenix can hit 100 degrees from the end of March until late November. I wanted out. So in 1977 I moved to Colorado Springs and love it. I especially love the clean air and water and four seasons; my favorite is fall. I am now 59.

However, I know others who like heat and love living in Phoenix. So I think the answer depends entirely on you. My advice would be to rent for a year if you move and decide for yourself it the change suits you.

Seems to me when it's cold, you can always put on a coat. But when it's darn hot, you can only take off so much.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:52 AM

Thanks Vision67. That's pretty much the way I feel about Florida. The Humidity is smothering. I can't get outside and enjoy anything... as soon as I step outside I start perspiring... I can't wait to get into the air conditioning. Colorado sounds like, based on what I've read on other theads and from this one... that it has more to offer us than maybe Wy.. or Montana although , we love those states too. Your thoughts about putting on a coat.. vs.. taking it all off... my thoughts exactly. Thanks again

Old 04-04-2009, 09:35 AM

7,182 posts, read 9,309,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda53 View Post
Thanks Vision67. That's pretty much the way I feel about Florida. The Humidity is smothering. I can't get outside and enjoy anything... as soon as I step outside I start perspiring... I can't wait to get into the air conditioning. Colorado sounds like, based on what I've read on other theads and from this one... that it has more to offer us than maybe Wy.. or Montana although , we love those states too. Your thoughts about putting on a coat.. vs.. taking it all off... my thoughts exactly. Thanks again
I neither have nor want air conditioning. At 6700 feet, we don't need it. I love to open the windows for fresh air, and with just a whole house fan, we can keep comfortable all summer. Here, even if the summer daytime temperature gets above 90, it quickly drops after sunset and goes down to 55degrees at night. Thin, dry air won't hold heat. Like you, I find hot humid air stiffling.

Oh, and the cold winters kill bugs. In summer, we don't need screens. Mosquitos are very rare. I used to also hate the bugs in Arizona; I'm sure Florida must be crawling with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado