Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 02:43 PM

3 posts, read 15,993 times

Advertisements

Hey,
i'm from Sweden and i'm going to Rocky Ford this fall to join High School for a year. Do you know any about the place?
From what i've read this far you don't seem to like the "eastern planes" very much. Depressing area or whatever you say, that makes ME depressed

My host dad told me that Colorado has the least amount of exchange students in the whole U.S. Could that really be true? And in that case, why? I thought you in the midwest were a friendly people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 03:15 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,975,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stina_R View Post
Hey,
i'm from Sweden and i'm going to Rocky Ford this fall to join High School for a year. Do you know any about the place?
From what i've read this far you don't seem to like the "eastern planes" very much. Depressing area or whatever you say, that makes ME depressed

My host dad told me that Colorado has the least amount of exchange students in the whole U.S. Could that really be true? And in that case, why? I thought you in the midwest were a friendly people.
Well, people on online forums tend to be kind of negative and we do like to air our personal preferences and pet-peeves. But you have to remember that this is mainly for people who are coming to relocate long-term to a place -- and you're coming for one school year -- so remember that it's a different situation. Many of the negatives people see to a place like Rocky Ford don't really apply to someone in your situation. For me, I'd go just about anywhere for a school year given a good opportunity -- the chance to be in a new place, experience new things is worth it. And going in with a positive attitude defintely helps -- if you go into a situation planning on having fun you usually do.

To be honest, I don't know that part of the state very well, but having grown up in a small town for a few years, I know that small towns ARE usually friendly, and as "the new kid in town" you should have no problem making friends.

While the eastern plains is not nearly as beautiful as the mountains, if nothing else you'll be a few hours away from them, so your host family likely be able to take you to them. I'm sure some of your classmates go up on a regular basis as well.

I'm not sure why Colorado is not popular with exchange students? Perhaps it's because we're not a particularly populated state nor are we particularly well connected to Europe. I'm kind of surprised that we'd have fewer exchange students than our even smaller neighbors like Wyoming, though.

Best of luck to you and hope you have a great year in Colorado!

Old 04-05-2007, 03:42 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,784,597 times
Default You'll be fine!

Hi. My daughter just returned from six months in Chile, South America, as a foreign exchange student. One of the kids she met there was an American from Colorado, and she thought he was one of the nicest kids she met.

I lived in Colorado and loved it -- I found the people very friendly, very beautiful scenery, just a nice place.

When you're an exchange student, you're often treated as "the prize!" People will automatically think you're cool. Just remember that in the U.S. -- and this is something families had difficulties with their exchange students who were used to more freedom or had servants -- is that American families expect the kids to help around the house and with chores, that they will expect you to check in with them about where you are, where you are going and when you will be back, and things like that (exchange students often seem surprised that American families are like that). American families do most things for themselves and are very independent. They take pride in doing their own work. So, just be polite, offer to help out, participate in family activities, and enjoy yourself.

Anyplace will be new for you, so it won't matter if you're in Florida, New York, Colorado, Kansas, Oregon, Texas or any other place. You will be coming to learn the culture, the language, to meet (hopefully) life-long friends, and to create happy memories. You are very lucky to have this opportunity, and I am sure you can make this one of the happiest times of your life!!

Good luck to you!

Old 04-05-2007, 03:57 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
I think that claim that Colorado is the lowest for foreign exchange students is not correct.

There are some areas of Colorado that are economically depressed due to climate and business conditions.

However, that has nothing to do with the sense of community and the friendly reception you'll get in these towns.

You'll have lots to do in Colorado and I have no doubt that you'll have a great time here with your friends.

Old 04-06-2007, 11:18 AM

Default You're right

Thanks for taking your time to answer a worried exchange student.

Well, when i first thought of Colorado i just saw the mountainous area and the breath taking scenery. Never in my mind there could be something like the eastern planes. But there was and that's where i got my placement.

Actually, i'm not as disappointed as you might think i am according to my first post. I have e-mailed my host family a lot and they seem so nice, and that's what really matters. Being placed in a big, gorgeous house at the California coast with a family that would take no notice about me, i wouldn't prefer that. I'm not going to the U.S to have a nice holiday and get a nice tan - i'm going to earn confidence in myself and improve my english. I think i can manage to do that in Rocky Ford too. Btw, Rocky Ford is "the sweet melon capitol of the world". Isn't that cool!? I love sweet melons

Old 04-06-2007, 01:34 PM

431 posts, read 2,793,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
Well, people on online forums tend to be kind of negative and we do like to air our personal preferences and pet-peeves. But you have to remember that this is mainly for people who are coming to relocate long-term to a place -- and you're coming for one school year -- so remember that it's a different situation. Many of the negatives people see to a place like Rocky Ford don't really apply to someone in your situation. For me, I'd go just about anywhere for a school year given a good opportunity -- the chance to be in a new place, experience new things is worth it. And going in with a positive attitude defintely helps -- if you go into a situation planning on having fun you usually do.

To be honest, I don't know that part of the state very well, but having grown up in a small town for a few years, I know that small towns ARE usually friendly, and as "the new kid in town" you should have no problem making friends.

While the eastern plains is not nearly as beautiful as the mountains, if nothing else you'll be a few hours away from them, so your host family likely be able to take you to them. I'm sure some of your classmates go up on a regular basis as well.

I'm not sure why Colorado is not popular with exchange students? Perhaps it's because we're not a particularly populated state nor are we particularly well connected to Europe. I'm kind of surprised that we'd have fewer exchange students than our even smaller neighbors like Wyoming, though.

Best of luck to you and hope you have a great year in Colorado!
I think this is true in all ways. I too am surprised about the stats of fewer exchange students. Is that bases on population? I did have a very close friend that had a exchange student. I don't remember from where. That student did not understand how large our country was and wanted to visit places she had hear about that were thousands of miles away and she thought all Americans were rich and could take her to see those places. She was not happy in Leadville which is small as is Rocky Ford but deep in the mts. so not the same as Rocky Ford living. There most people are farmers and ranchers and the kids are expected to work on the ranches and farms too. So if you are in one of their homes you probably will be treated as their kids are. Town kids---I don't know much about because we are not town or city people, but I am sure will be expected to do chores there too. Here in our small town, I know of several boys and girls that were exchange students. Knew them because they were soccer players on our teams. I doubt Rocky Ford has soccer (football to you). Soccer is not the popular sport here as in the rest of the world. Don't know why our game of football is called football. Hasn't got much to do with feet as soccer. Enjoy our country and welcome to Colorado.

Last edited by Nadine; 04-06-2007 at 01:49 PM..

Old 04-06-2007, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Thanks for taking your time to answer a worried exchange student.

Well, when i first thought of Colorado i just saw the mountainous area and the breath taking scenery. Never in my mind there could be something like the eastern planes. But there was and that's where i got my placement.

Actually, i'm not as disappointed as you might think i am according to my first post. I have e-mailed my host family a lot and they seem so nice, and that's what really matters. Being placed in a big, gorgeous house at the California coast with a family that would take no notice about me, i wouldn't prefer that. I'm not going to the U.S to have a nice holiday and get a nice tan - i'm going to earn confidence in myself and improve my english. I think i can manage to do that in Rocky Ford too. Btw, Rocky Ford is "the sweet melon capitol of the world". Isn't that cool!? I love sweet melons
Rocky Ford cantaloupes are the very best. And to start your education may I introduce you to some difficulties of the English/American language. When speaking of the terrain that you are going to, it is spelled PLAINS. Yep said the same way as planes. Confusing isn't it. Well don't feel bad, we are confused about those kind of words too.

Old 04-06-2007, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
Rocky Ford cantaloupes are the very best. And to start your education may I introduce you to some difficulties of the English/American language. When speaking of the terrain that you are going to, it is spelled PLAINS. Yep said the same way as planes. Confusing isn't it. Well don't feel bad, we are confused about those kind of words too.
I do feel very bad. Planes, where the hell did i get that from!? Planes are planes and not plains. LOL

Old 04-06-2007, 07:28 PM

Quote:
I do feel very bad. Planes, where the hell did i get that from!? Planes are planes and not plains. LOL
Don't feel bad. I do dumber things believe me.

Old 04-07-2007, 01:22 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,784,597 times
Quote:
Nadine: I think this is true in all ways. I too am surprised about the stats of fewer exchange students. Is that bases on population? I did have a very close friend that had a exchange student. I don't remember from where. That student did not understand how large our country was and wanted to visit places she had hear about that were thousands of miles away and she thought all Americans were rich and could take her to see those places. She was not happy in Leadville which is small as is Rocky Ford but deep in the mts. so not the same as Rocky Ford living. There most people are farmers and ranchers and the kids are expected to work on the ranches and farms too. So if you are in one of their homes you probably will be treated as their kids are. Town kids---I don't know much about because we are not town or city people, but I am sure will be expected to do chores there too.
I think that is a VERY important point to make to an exchange student, as many (most) of the exchange students I have known only know about the U.S. from movies -- which are NOT representative of the general population here!

Many exchange students are shocked to learn that all (most) Americans are not "wealthy." Many of the exchange students who DO come to the U.S. are already from truly wealthy homes -- many have parents who are ambassadors, doctors, CEOs of companies, and in many of their countries they have servants and cooks and maids.

A lot of the exchange students did not even know how to cook, much less do chores! So, please understand that most American families do their own chores, work, cooking, cleaning, etc. And they DO expect the children to share in those chores -- and in America, you will be treated as one of the family, which means participating in those other activities.

And America IS a huge country. Our Chinese exchange student wanted us in California to take her to New York City (!) over Christmas break! There was no way we could do that -- it was way too expensive. She was very disappointed, however, she did not understand that we had less money than her family did. We live in a very beautiful area of the country, and she wanted to explore an entirely different part -- there is plenty here to do, so we saw no need to fly across the country because of her curiosity -- plus, we couldn't afford to do that.

My suggestion as an exchange student is to come with an open mind! Try to understand that America is not Hollywood movies -- I get upset when I think of how other people think of us outside of the U.S. because of Hollywood -- movies are not real life here -- many Americans would love to live the way they do in those movies!!

Also, American families will treat you as part of the family -- that means they will expect you to follow the family rules (yes, we have rules here), and please respect those rules, even if they seem silly to you. The family will expect you to help out as all their own kids help out. That is actually a compliment to you to be treated like one of the family -- including doing chores and following household rules! Sometimes exchange students have felt as if they should get special treatment for being an exchange student -- American families want you to BE a part of the family!!

You will find plenty to do where you will be. Enjoy the culture, the school, the friends. See America for what it really is, rather than what movies portray. And if your host family does not take you to other places, please understand that this is a huge country, and getting time off of work or school, and getting the money to travel to all these places is often very difficult for a typical American family. Just enjoy where you are.

Families who elect to be a host family are special people to begin with -- they enjoy other cultures, they WANT to help you out, they WANT to open their homes to you, and they WANT you to experience American life -- they are very excited about having you in their home. Understand this and you will do just fine!

And...if you find that you hear about other places or want to explore more, do as my daughter is going to do, go back when you are a young adult or in college!!

You will find challenges as in all families - just be willing to help, to participate, to be open and helpful....that will take you far. You are an ambassador for your own country, and people will learn from you, too, what your world is like.

Americans are very generous and kind people! Become part of the family, with all the pieces that entails, and enjoy your experience! It is NOT your home country, and it WILL be different -- remember: "It is not bad, it is just different." Best of luck to you and post sometime when you get there and let us know what you think!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado