Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 09:46 AM

6 posts, read 20,020 times

Advertisements

After living overseas for two years, I am looking into returning to the US to live. I am a Legal Interpreter (Bi-lingual Spanish) That being said this time is my choice where I will move, and not my job's. (Although I will work).

I have lived Omaha FL and Washington D.C. in the past.
Please provide information as I am undecided whether to move to Dallas or Denver. Important for my daughters and I are the following:
Plenty of sunshine daily, and weather not below 20 or 25, although we don't mind altitude or snow.
If Dallas, we were considering Plano, but Denver no idea (equivalent suggestions?).
to start we'll rent a house (we like small houses) or town-home.
Work availability
Available single, intelligent and educated (don't mind successful men)
I am spiritual and interested in studying Naturopathy.
Study groups of "A course in Miracles" would be nice.
My daughters speak French so I wander if there are French immersion programs.
Golf
Thank you for your input. I spent about three months in Ft Worth about 10 years ago and liked it, although never been in Denver I really like what I have read. I am planning to go visit Denver for a week, and would appreciate advise on good school areas close to fun stuff that I might check during that week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 10:49 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAngela View Post
Important for my daughters and I are the following:
Plenty of sunshine daily, and weather not below 20 or 25, although we don't mind altitude or snow.
Well there are more sunny days in Denver than there are in Dallas, but there are more days where temps are in the teens and 20s in Denver.

It hasn't been below zero in Dallas since 1989, but it's never been above 105 in Denver.

Quote:
If Dallas, we were considering Plano, but Denver no idea (equivalent suggestions?).
Plano is to Dallas as Highlands Ranch is to Denver.

Quote:
Work availability
Texas was one of the last states to go into recession. We didn't start shedding jobs until November of '08.

Quote:
Available single, intelligent and educated (don't mind successful men)
Push - you could find that in either place.

Quote:
I am spiritual and interested in studying Naturopathy.
Study groups of "A course in Miracles" would be nice.
That might be easier to find in the Denver area.

Quote:
My daughters speak French so I wander if there are French immersion programs.
Spanish is the lingua du jour here.

Quote:
Golf
18 holes of golf will be FAR more enjoyable in Denver come mid-July.

Bottom line, if you don't mind the heat, the mild winters of Dallas can't be beat.

The economy is healthier, and the cost of housing and overall tax burden are lower in Dallas - but it's Dallas, and the local scenery doesn't even come close to the Front Range. Down here fire ant mounds are called mountains.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:46 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
My personal preference would be Denver. I think it's a neat city with much nicer scenery.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:30 PM

Great insight so far. Thanks.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:49 PM

116 posts, read 412,105 times
Move to Denver. But, hey, that's just my opinion. Plenty of bilingual needs here. And your quality of life would be better, IMHO. No offense to anyone in Dallas.

I lived in Dallas when I was a kid, so I'm not entirely foreign to the place. It was flat suburbia and it made me want to stick a fork in my eye.

If I was given your decision, between these two cities, it would be like someone asking me if I wanted to live in Heaven or Hell. Again, not to discount Dallas ... just my opinion.

And here's the bottom line. If you move to Dallas, you might like it just fine. You'll go out, have fine dinners, go to some great shows, do this or that, experience excellent shopping, and have a jolly good time while doing it.

But when/if you move to Denver, you can do all that as well. You'll find a great art museum, great restaurants, the Denver Mint, blah blah, and have a great time. But you'll also find magic beyond ... maybe you'll go on a hike somewhere. Or go camping. It'll hit you like a freight train: All this wonder is just beyond the hills where you live! Very few places (with jobs, no less) offer this.

People stop short of killing to be able to move to Colorado. If you're given the opportunity, don't hesitate. Bottom line, if you don't like it here, sell your spot to someone else, and move on to smaller and worse things.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupulin View Post
Move to Denver. But, hey, that's just my opinion. Plenty of bilingual needs here. And your quality of life would be better, IMHO. No offense to anyone in Dallas.

I lived in Dallas when I was a kid, so I'm not entirely foreign to the place. It was flat suburbia and it made me want to stick a fork in my eye.

If I was given your decision, between these two cities, it would be like someone asking me if I wanted to live in Heaven or Hell. Again, not to discount Dallas ... just my opinion.

And here's the bottom line. If you move to Dallas, you might like it just fine. You'll go out, have fine dinners, go to some great shows, do this or that, experience excellent shopping, and have a jolly good time while doing it.

But when/if you move to Denver, you can do all that as well. You'll find a great art museum, great restaurants, the Denver Mint, blah blah, and have a great time. But you'll also find magic beyond ... maybe you'll go on a hike somewhere. Or go camping. It'll hit you like a freight train: All this wonder is just beyond the hills where you live! Very few places (with jobs, no less) offer this.

People stop short of killing to be able to move to Colorado. If you're given the opportunity, don't hesitate. Bottom line, if you don't like it here, sell your spot to someone else, and move on to smaller and worse things.
My daughter could not stop laughing! nice way to put things. Thanks for the info.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:58 AM

Old 05-15-2009, 09:40 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,976,875 times
I think I'd like Denver better than Dallas too, but you do have to be mindful of jobs -- it appears that Texas is one of the few places in this country that's surviving the recession well. Colorado is not as bad as most places, but I don't think jobs are all that plentiful here at this time. This is something to keep in mind. You might want to find a job first and then move out at that time, if you can.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:47 AM

Thanks

Old 05-15-2009, 11:11 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
I'd say it comes down to very few things - which can you put up with easier? 6 months of humid heat, or 6 months of crazy fluctuating temperatures with fairly cold spells along the way? Winter can get pretty chilly in Dallas, but overall, it's relatively mild. Summer can get pretty hot in Denver, but it's not humid and usually cools off nice at night, so more mild than Dallas summers.

And then there's the Texas culture - nothing wrong with it, but it can rub non Texans the wrong way. If you can embrace it, then you may love it there.

Denver's more liberal than Dallas overall, if that's important. They both have 6 letters and start with "D", so on that point, they're equal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado