Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 07:01 PM

11 posts, read 38,026 times

Advertisements

Gunnison is beautiful, and well worth it's bragging rights, but being a gunny local isn't easy. I think it's especially hard for girls. From my experience girls don't stay there. You have to truely love the outdoors to be happy there. Shops close early and it's very isolated. I sometimes miss it, but wouldn't move back. I also understand that good jobs are hard to come by.

I would look into Montrose if I were you. It's a nice little town and has an array of shops and entertaiment that would be more comfortable for someone who is comming from a city. When I lived in Gunnison we often drove to Montrose to go to the movies or a restraunt that we didn't have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 08:21 PM

11 posts, read 38,026 times
Default not as bad as it seems.

I drove a VW Jetta there. That along with small trucks like the Tacoma were popular. Subaru's are also good. I parked it outside and never had a problem starting it. It wasn't four wheel drive and I didn't use snow tires. I did keep chains I never used, the only time I ever "Almost" had to use chains was around Blue Mesa in December.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:35 AM

88 posts, read 221,463 times
Default Moved to Gunnison

from Miles City Montana. I love it. Its awesome in every way, and as a younger guy, its not a bad place to be. The city is alive (during the day of course) and people are really friendly. Very cool spot, imo.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:18 PM

12 posts, read 48,122 times
Default A couple more questions for locals

It's nice to see so much continued interest in Gunnison!
I have a couple more questions for some lucky locals
Can anyone make recommendations on where to go for:
A decent automotive shop
Mattress/box spring sets (inc delivery - it would be nice to buy local)
A good vet (dogs, rabbits)
Possibly a kennel
Some of those are probably going to be in Montrose or even Grad Junction, but I'd appreciate the advice anyway. Those are items where I don't want to learn by mistakes!

Old 05-10-2010, 07:34 AM

Nice collection of links, Jim. I'm sure a lot of visitors will find them useful.

In my case, I'm looking for personal recommendations and insider knowledge. They seem to count for a lot more than a directory listing.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,514 times
Gunnison Vet Clinic (AKA Critter Sitters) is definitely the best place to go for pet care (vet, grooming, boarding, etc.) Tom and Polly Vernard run it and we've been taking our pets there for years. Great folks who really care for your animals.
Miller furniture has mattresses/boxsprings, but I'd recommend Ashley Furniture or one of the places in Montrose of Junction for that - financially the local shops can tend to be rather high.
Automotive - Precision automotive or John Roberts for basics!

Hope you love this beautiful area!!!!

Old 10-06-2011, 03:55 PM

Thanks for the info! It is much appreciated.
Plans are taking shape now. Can anyone recommend a Gunnison electrician for a small wiring job?

Old 10-06-2011, 09:01 PM

50,762 posts, read 24,261,465 times
About 10 days ago, when coming down off Monarch Pass, my tire started going flat...fortunately very slowly. I say that because in Gunnison they couldn't get the size tire I needed (for a Buick Lacrosse) "for days". Fortunately, I made it to Montrose, and even there it was a day and a half to get the tire from Denver, and that was because it was a chain -- Big O.

I was quite impressed with Montrose as a small city. Close to Gunnison and Crested Butte, but also close to the bigger Grand Junction. Some good restaurants and hotels, and a decent downtown (with a little shopping mall spread down to the south along US-550). Oh, and Montrose does have a hospital.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:24 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,166,492 times
I kind of liked the rural felling of Gunnison. Yet they usually have a lot of things that you would need for day to day living.

When I lived in crested Butte we had to drive to montrose if we wanted to go to McDonald's.
I think it was in "83" when McDonald's came to town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado