Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 05:51 PM

103 posts, read 394,290 times

Advertisements

McGowdog....that was a pretty expensive tripod, but I didn't take the pictures.....just had someone who is a pro do it for me.

I'll follow up on museum and places to dine in more detail later...but for now, I can tell you my favorite watering hole is the Elks....and I'm on my way there!!!!

Everyone have a good day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Nice pics, La Junta! I kind of envy your camera angle. I can't quite get up that tall.

I see that road in the first pic... going off to Trinidad - 350. Then the one cutting straight west is 10 to Walsenburg, right?

So... Rocky Mountain Oyster lunch for $6.50? Yum! Pass the bread and butter!

That town is laid out just like I thought it was; bassackwards! From 50, you see all these train tracks and some old industrial and ag buildings blocking you view from the river and its valley of green trees lining it; then the town is build to the south away from the road that takes you through town from west to east. You really have to drive through town and out to the park to enjoy it.

So tell us more about that museum and your favorite places to dine!
McGowdog...

You are right again...,and you can get Rocky Mountain Oysters at 3 places: Frontier Diner in Cheraw, Copper Kitchen (Featured on Alton Brown's show on the Food Network), and the Cafe at La Junta Livestock.

HWY 350 is the one towards the top of the pictures that angles off diagonally towards Trinidad (southwest. HWY 10 is in the upper right quadrant, and is kind of a line going west through the farmland.

The town is built to the south of what everyone sees, but in the glory days of the Santa Fe it was OK. There was a Harvey House where the Amtrak station is now, and it was a stately looking structure...in fact, I'll find some pics of it and post!

There are actually 2 museums. The Otero Museum is on 3rd street (old Highway 50) and is comprised of about 6 buildings. It has stagecoaches, covered wagons, firetrucks, old tractors, guns...quite a place. It has been said by guests from the various Colorado Visitors Centers that it is one of the most "hands on" places they have visited. (See Otero Museum for more information.)

The Koshare Indian Museum is home to the World Famous Koshare Indian
Dancers of Boy Scout Troop 232 of the Rocky Mountain Council founded in 1933. The Museum itself houses one of the finest collections of Southwestern art and artifacts in the United States. All of the pieces in this multi-million dollar collection were selected by the Scouts over the years.

There is also an authentic reproduction of a Native American Kiva, which is round in shape, wit adobe walls and a 40 ton log roof counstructed of over 600 logs. It is the largest self-supporting roof of its kind in the country, thanks to the efforts of architecht Damon Runyon...distant cousin of the Damon Runyon of Pueblo's Runyon Field.

The Koshares perform their summer and winter ceremonials there, as well as special performances. Find out more at www.koshare.org

Well...almost lunchtime...so let me go out and sample another place before I start on favorite eateries in town.

More later.....and once again, here's hoping that other towns in Southern Colorado jump in.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:14 PM

6,599 posts, read 9,153,142 times
Default La Junta, CO -- PHOTO TOUR

this is so neat! i really do need to make a weekend trip down to La Junta!

Old 06-12-2009, 05:32 PM

17,874 posts, read 27,262,848 times
Default La Junta, CO -- PHOTO TOUR

Few pics of these Ark Valley towns on the way home. The fourth and fifth pics will give me an idea for another pic thread. May or may not be able to take pics inside though... Sure was a nice day;

Old 07-02-2009, 02:04 PM

Default Just saw the post.....great pix.

McGowdog....sorry I didn't acknowledge the great post. Have not kept up the last few weeks. Nice pictures and thanks for the post. Let me know when you want to come down and we'll make sure you get inside the Kiva.

Koshare performances left this summer will be July 4, 5, 6, 10, 11, 15, 18, 19, 25, 30. They are all at 7:30 PM and the cost of the ticket for the show ($8) allows you entrance and tour of the museum. And the museum is awesome....best display (about $8 million dollars worth) of Native American art, etc. except the Smithsonian.

For more activities see www.LaJuntaEvents.com and for more information about Kiva, Otero Museum, Dinosaur Tracks, Bent's Old Fort, etc. go to www.VisitLaJunta.net
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Cowboyxjon.....I'll see if we have a few spare keys to the city when you come down. Just DM me in advance so I can find them.

Got some pix to download...get them up as soon as I can.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:57 PM

Default Not nearly the quality of McGowdog's...but more La Junta Photos.

"New" Tiger Field....4.3 million dollar stadium complete with all weather 8-lane track and synthetic turf football surface. This will replace the original Tiger Field, built in 1938. The old one was touted as the best and fastest cinder track in the State and went out in style as teams from Springs (Mitchell, Coronado) and all of the Pueblo Schools came down for Tiger Relays this past spring to the longest running track meet in the State. (According to some National Track Officials...this side of the Mississippi!)

City Council, Chamber officers, Radio announcers, Volunteer Firefighters and Community Members downtown (at the corner of Walk and Don't Walk) collecting the last of $10,000 raised for annual 4th of July Fireworks Show at Kids Rodeo Grounds.

Amtrak station...full service stop on Southwest Chief from Chicago to LA

Industrial Park, Airport, and Golf Course.....Greenhouses at bottom left operated by Bonnie Plants. Anyone in Colorado Springs, Pueblo, Alamosa, Canon, Raton, Lamar, LJ or points in between who bought plants from Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Lowes or Home Depot....they came from these greenhouses in La Junta!

Belleview Avenue in "Tree City" USA...the Smile-Hi City!

More homes on Belleview...right across the street from the one above.

The mileage sign recently restored on the local Elks Lodge...easily visible from Amtrak station and Highway 50....note Coast to Coast mileages for Highway 50.

And last, but not least...if the pictures made you sick....we have a great hospital that is partnering with Parkview Hospital in Pueblo the month of August to Host our monthly community Wake-Up Breakfast!!!!

Old 07-02-2009, 04:54 PM

Default Come on down to the Smile-Hi City

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
this is so neat! i really do need to make a weekend trip down to La Junta!
Hope you make it down...life is good here! Generally, most everyone will smile and say "Hi". Last October, the folks from the RFD Television Show www.bestofamericabyhorseback came to La Junta (unbeknownst to anyone in town), and deemed it so friendly they stopped over here to celebrate their 100,000 mile milestone June 12 through June 15th. They have about 40 riders who are riding from Mexico to Canada. They hit the 100,000 mile mark for all of their rides at the finish line of the old "Tiger Field".

Just a few pictures of them and other things of interest around town. Here they are arriving at Tiger Field

And here they hit 100,000 miles led by Tom Seay...producer

The famous Copper Kitchen Cafe (featured on Alton Brown's Food Network show) and the new Railyard on Colorado Ave.

The Colorado Bi-Centennial Covered Wagon at the Otero Museum.....free admission!

And.......these little plants started out 780 to a tray at Bonnie Plants Greenhouses......

.....and then grew and got shipped to Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Lowe's and Home Depots in Springs, Pueblo, Alamosa, Canon, Lamar, Trinidad, Raton and La Junta...

Just in case you think it is always sunny in La Junta....here is the Elks Annual Kids Fishing Derby at City Park lake the first weekend of May. Even bad weather doesn't keep them from coming.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:14 PM

18,134 posts, read 25,664,806 times
la Jun! Cool pics! Always like to see SE Colorado represented on the board!

Old 07-07-2009, 10:11 AM

You're too kind LJ! Your pics rock, especially the aerials. Can I trade a dinner offer in for a ride above LJ sometime?

Old 07-08-2009, 12:13 AM

Since we've got our photo threads broken up here to save time... thanks to MFBE, thanks again Mike... they've kind of separated a bit.

I want to link the other threads to this one.

Bent's Old Fort 1

Bent's Old Fort 2

Fowler Colorado

Rocky Ford Colorado
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado