U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2007, 09:47 AM

106 posts, read 513,478 times

Advertisements

Have heard many opinions on cost of lving in CO. Considering suburbs of the Denver area and are wondering how the cost of living there is VS Fla. We have heard that the state sales tax is high, it is expensive to register your vehicle, property taxes are high etc etc. We live in Sarasota FLA now. It is pretty cheap to register your car but our property taxes are high. $5,000 per year and Homeowners is $3,000 per year. We are wondering if CO will truly be any less expensive?
Please, any advice?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2007, 10:25 AM

90,377 posts, read 109,066,016 times
The state sales tax is 3%. However, unlike many states, the local governments freely add on their own sales taxes. That is the primary source of revenue for local govt in Colorado. Most people can't tell you exactly what their local sales tax is. In metro Denver, there is RTD (public transit) sales tax, SCFD (scientific and cultural facilities district) sales tax, football stadium sales tax, baseball stadium sales tax, PLUS county and local sales taxes. Total sales tax is usually around 8%.

Property taxes are low compared to many states. Our house valued at $500,000 on the open market has a prop tax of $2100. It's been so long since I registered a car anywhere else, I don't remember if CO's seemed high or low. There are lots of web sites you can google for this information. Probably in terms of taxes the difference is minimal, just the mode of collection (sales, property, income, fees, etc) is different.

One difference (maybe), in Colorado we vote on all our taxes, so govts have resorted to charging "fees" in many cases. Fees do not need to go to public vote.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:00 PM

2,713 posts, read 5,339,428 times
any more comments?

Old 02-19-2008, 06:54 PM

1,331 posts, read 4,696,328 times
plantlover,

I am currently living in Vero Beach, Florida. I have been here for 9 1/2 months. I will be moving back to my home in Colorado in 23 days..TG!!
I wish I would have NEVER moved!! DUMB, real dumb!!
Visions of living on the ocean and all!!

I do know when we registered our vehicles here last May (2007)...it was TONS more!!!

That said, my sister, who lives in Daytona Beach Shores AND Georgia,...registers ALL of her vehicles in Florida. Cheaper some how??HMM!

As far as property taxes...WAAAAAYYYY higher in Florida!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now mind you, I am talking about direct oceanfront property taxes as compared to Colorado's but, still!!!

I am a Colorado native and have lived in many different parts of the State.
I am going back to my home in Canon City. My property is 2 acres of landscaping with my own tennis court, I have a 4,500 sq. ft. home with 3 fireplaces. I have 2 separate buildings with over 2,200 sq. ft.
I am NOT trying to sound uppity, but, my property taxes are only 1,300 per year. Go north 38 miles to Colorado Springs and, I promise you, I couldn't afford it. If I had this same property in Florida......I assure you...not happening!!!!!!!!!

The property taxes where I am now,...the treasure coast on the ocean...smaller home (1,500 sq. ft.) are 42,000 yes thousand a year!!!!!
That's cheap!!!! Doesn't take a rocket scientist, does it?????????

I guess it all depends on WHERE one lives in Colorado.
In 1995, when I moved to Canon City, I lived in the Cherry Creek School District beforehand....My taxes were 1,600 a year then (big house)...can't imagine what they are now!!! I raised my OLDEST there (he graduated from Smoky Hill High School) and is now in Rhode Island...a professor at Johnson & Wales University.
My YOUNGEST...born in Cherry Creek...raised later in Canon City (they are 10 years apart).....graduated from Canon City High School and is now a Cryptologist located in Hawaii.

See???? It IS location . Truth to tell........your property taxes and HMO's will be cheaper in Colorado!! You just have to decide if you like dry, as opposed to humidity....mountains, as opposed to oceans.....snow, as opposed to endless summers... other than that...I'd say MOVE to Colorado!

One thing is for sure (one of the reasons I am moving back) you won't have to deal with.......sand fleas,...no-seeums, fire-ants......alligators LOL...

You will have to deal with...high altitude....closer to the sun..ie; sunburns..loss of energy (due to the altitude). But, these are things that you will get used to.

I WILL NEVER get used to the bugs in Florida!!!!!!! I look like I belong on a leper colony!!!!!!!!!!! Pi$$es me off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, being in the "Tropical" part of Florida....on the ocean...when the temp drops, I swear it drives the cold thru you more than in Colorado!!
It is like -15. Dry is a good thing!!

Just do it.......move!!! You will love it!! Colorado is where most in Florida long to be or, question why you moved in the first place!!

Good Luck and, sorry I was sooo long winded!!

Old 02-19-2008, 10:41 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,150,944 times
Dang.... so you didn't get the chance to jetski w/ the alligators?

Old 02-20-2008, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike78613 View Post
Dang.... so you didn't get the chance to jetski w/ the alligators?
Nope! I couldn't even get half way thru the scuba diving classes! My husband and sister and son (while he was here in June) got their Padi cards. I'm just the "bubble" watcher on the boat.
I can snorkle at the springs around here though! Whoopie!

We are surrounded by jungle and the bob-cats have taken my cat,...it's interesting being on the beach but, scary too!!
I am going out now to watch the shuttle land, there's a plus! I am 35 miles south of Cape Canaveral. The last time it sounded like a semi landed on my roof!!

23 days and counting!! Home Sweet Home!! YAY!!

Oh Yeah, don't forget the Lunar Eclipse tonight!!

Old 02-20-2008, 08:23 AM

13,395 posts, read 42,146,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantlover View Post
any more comments?
As a plant lover, you might find plants a lot more expensive in Colorado.
After so many years in Colorado, I was pleasantly surprised to see how much cheaper they are out here.

As Sheridan says, true cost of living (and the quality of life that accompanies it) all depends on location.

Comparing living expenses between the two states is sort of apples and oranges, but I did a side by side comparison of our Denver zipcode and our Fernandina Beach zipcode, and came up with this:

Fernandina Beach
Population density: 1,044
Median income: $48K
Cost of living index: 106
Unemployment Rate: 3.2%
Recent Job Growth: 4.2%
Future Job Growth: 12.3%
Days of sunshine: 222
Days of precip: 111
Median Home value: $278K
School expenditure per pupil: $4,703
January average temp: 44
July average temp: 90

Denver

Population density: 3,635
Median income: $46K
Cost of living index: 110
Unemployment Rate: 5.7%
Recent Job Growth: 0.9%
Future Job Growth: 6.7%
Days of sunshine: 245
Days of precip: 74
Median Home value: $257
School expenditure per pupil: $5,693
January average temp: 22
July average temp: 94

Old 02-20-2008, 08:39 AM

6 posts, read 37,455 times
it is all depending on where you live. I am looking at a home in louisville.
After much research. I have figured the cost of living is about the same. We currently live in Boca Raton. Yes we will have a bigger home in Co. but price for price we get more for the $$ in CO. Taxes are half what they are here in Fl. but you have added costs such as warmer clothes for winter, heat in winter as opposed to a/c in summer etc. Two sets of wheels/tires.
We are the outdoors type so we love co. IMO it is all revelant unless you downgrade your home and then you will see some saving,IMO.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:40 AM

23,024 posts, read 42,146,268 times
Here's an old thread where the comparison between FL and CO was made:
- FL to CO in 2 weeks...best decision we have made!

Shopsafe posted that, in FL, he paid property tax of $10k per year in 2007 and $6k for homeowners insurance.

Mike from back east posted that, in CO, he paid property tax of $3.3k per year in 2007 and $1.5k for homeowners insurance.

Both were on homes of $550k in value. CO was $11k per year cheaper, just for these two items.

s/mike

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-20-2008 at 10:52 AM..

Old 02-20-2008, 01:03 PM

Mike from back east has it correct!!
That's a 917.00 difference per month!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado