Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 03:11 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times

Advertisements

Mr. Doom and Gloom here: I can't escape the conclusion that more unemployment equals more price drops in housing. I think many people are holding on by a thread thinking the market will recover and they won't have to accept a lower price. I just can't see how that will happen.

Last edited by Bideshi; 10-13-2009 at 04:39 PM..

Old 10-13-2009, 03:58 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
"getting better" in regard to home prices depends on wether you are a seller or a buyer. Nothing has changed about that. Based on my personal observations, I agree with jazzlovers assessment......practically no sales occurring and foreclosures are soaring

Old 10-13-2009, 05:35 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
I'm renting. No plans to buy. I'm happy.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:10 AM

1,072 posts, read 1,945,572 times
I've been looking at houses in the Durango/ La Plata county area and nothing is selling at the moment. Houses that were listed for $650K are now as low as the high $400s. I'm not inclined to jump on anything though because I really don't see any signs of the decline slowing down or stopping yet.

My realtor just brought one to my attention that's listed at $649,500 but has been taken back by the bank at $380K. I'll be curious to see what the bank prices it at. I'm not ready to retire for 4-5 years yet but it sure is interesting to watch what's happening in the real estate market there at the moment.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:36 PM

One month checkup:

Well I've lived in Ridgway for a month now. I learned, while sound asleep at 7am, the town has a fire siren to alert the firefighters. How quaint. A fire siren. Just moving here from the south, I immediately thought TORNADO, as I jumped out of bed. Then, flood, avalanche, mine cave in. It dawned on me it was a fire siren. There are more deer here than I've ever seen in my life, and most of them want to walk out in front of my Mustang. A herd of deer graze near my place every evening, and I've seen them walking along the river here. I've also seen Fox, and a bear and her cub. Ok bears are not cute and cuddly. They are big and strong. I plan not to become dinner for them. Visited the Ridgway State Park several times, and although I haven't hiked all the trails, that is my goal. It took me about 2 weeks to get used to the altitude, and now if I overexert myself I'm still panting. Bottled water is my best friend, I carry one everyplace I go, always have some in my car. I bought a used Jeep, as this will do better in the winter than my sportscar and I want to drive the Jeep trails here. The night sky is DARK. I mean DARK. I've never seen so many stars. Saw my first real snowfall last week. The 6" we got is a dusting according to the locals. It was nice to see snow and not an ice storm. I'm learning to make a list of things and limit the drive to Montrose to a couple times a week. I'm happy to be near my older sisters who live in Delta and visit with them and nieces every weekend. Gas prices are high, and my car insurance doubled. The people everywhere I've gone are friendly, outgoing, and right darn helpful to a new resident. Everyone has welcomed me. The only negativity I've seen is from a couple of people on this forum, but that's to be expected I suppose. Friends back in Arkansas ask me all the time if I'm happy here. I can't help but look at these mountains, this sky and breathe this fresh air and say OH YES!

I'll give a 2 month, 3 month, 6 month and the dreaded one year check up.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:34 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
One month checkup:

The night sky is DARK. I mean DARK. I've never seen so many stars.
Having grown up in this part of the country, I'm used to seeing dark nights and seeing a lot of stars. I thought this was as bright as they got. But let me tell you something. Was I ever suprised when I visited the River-of-No-Return wilderness in Idaho. You wanna know what stars are REALLY like, you go camp out there. It's amazing. There's no civilization at all and from what I've seen on the map there's no electrical transmission lines either. Means there's no artifical lights of any kind anywhere in that wilderness. One night there was no moon out and, I kid you not, I could see by starlight. I saw with the naked eye more satellites streaming across the sky then I'd ever seen in one spot or in such a short amount of time.

It's such a vast wilderness that if jazzlover ever decides to get away from it all, he could move there and no one would ever know.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:23 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
Quote:
I'll give a 2 month, 3 month, 6 month and the dreaded one year check up.
It will be interesting to hear how that first winter goes. I think that is the test.

The saying in Vail was along the lines of you come for the skiing but stay for the summer. Summer is the time when the curtain of snow is lifted off of Colorado opening up much of the state you can't really see in the winter.

My aunt and uncle have lived in Ridgway off and on since 1993 and they seem to like it. I'm sure it looks a lot different from when I last visited.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:34 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
Quote:
One month checkup:

The night sky is DARK. I mean DARK. I've never seen so many stars.
Well, nothing like it used to be. Too much population growth, too many crap rural subdivisions, too much bright lighting and signage in the towns.

I'm probably the guy you're calling out for being "negative." Well, maybe so. I've been around this area too long, I guess. I remember when the sky really WAS dark, when there were far more places where you couldn't see an artificial light than there were where you could, when the roads were pretty much empty most of the time, and--maybe most of all--when the people who lived here appreciated all of that instead of being fixated about all their materialistic crap that they bring with them when they move here. To your credit, you apparently did not do that--but, among most transplants, that makes you a distinct minority.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:55 AM

Well um...thanks?

Old 11-04-2009, 10:24 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I'm probably the guy you're calling out for being "negative." Well, maybe so. I've been around this area too long, I guess. I remember when the sky really WAS dark, when there were far more places where you couldn't see an artificial light than there were where you could, when the roads were pretty much empty most of the time, and--maybe most of all--when the people who lived here appreciated all of that instead of being fixated about all their materialistic crap that they bring with them when they move here. To your credit, you apparently did not do that--but, among most transplants, that makes you a distinct minority.
Hey jazz, you should seriously check out River-of-No-Return wilderness. Go up there to explore. (Not to live - it's a national wildnerness) but to explore an area that's how Colorado was back in the day. Although I have no doubts there are a few hardy mountain-men types who are living in there undetected.

River-of-no-return + Selway-bitteroot = 100 mile x 100 mile continuous mountainous area of no power transmission lines, no people, no paved roads (just forest roads and jeep trails), and no civilization whatsoever. you'll enjoy it immensely.

I myself want to make it back there sometime to explore it more. I liked it a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado