U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 10:33 AM

162 posts, read 811,778 times

Advertisements

I'm considering relocating there. Are there many office jobs there - ie. billing, customer service, clerical - many businesses?

What's it like there overall?
Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 01:44 PM

8,317 posts, read 27,691,706 times
There are those kinds of jobs there, but the wages tend to be poor. Unfortunately, the costs for housing are NOT cheap. I would sure check both out before you relocate there. Also, Grand Junction has a growing drug and crime problem. Check out the police blotter in the Grand Junction Daily Sentinel newspaper. It can be pretty sobering for a community that size.

If you're thinking it's a mountain climate, it's not. Grand Junction sits in the desert. About 8" of precipitation in a year, days over 100 degrees not uncommon in the summer (thank God, the humidity is low and it cools off at night). It had a very attractive downtown at one time, but has sacrificed it for the mall and big boxes. Lots of suburban sprawl--it's definitely having growing pains. A friend who works there (and is a native of the area) said this (which I posted earlier), "Grand Junction has all of the problems of a big city and none of the amenities." Grand Junction does have a better economy, more jobs, and better wages than most of the Western Slope, but it still isn't great.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:42 PM

7,810 posts, read 17,908,687 times
I moved to Grand Junction almost 3 years ago. Compared to Virginia Beach where I spent 16 years prior to the move, Grand Junction is a veritable paradise. Wages are lower, but then so are the housing prices (compared to VaBch). Crime is no worse here for a city of this size than anywhere elese I've ever lived. Traffic is a non-issue, and the climate is significantly more comfortable to me than the climate of the east coast. As noted, 100 degree highs ar not unusual from mid June to early August, with greatest concentration tyically occurring in July. The nighttime lows will generally drop into the 60's throughout the summer, even on the very hot days.

It is human nature to make comparisons, and you will likely do the same when you come to Grand Junction. Rather than comparing Grand Junction as it is today with Grand Junction of the good old days, you'll be comparing it with wherever you are currently living. I make no recommendation about relocating here or not. Come for a visit and form your own opinions on which to make a big decision like relocation.

People wil come or not come regardless. If someone likes the place and is serious about living here, they will probably make the move. If they don't like it here, they won't come.

Get out and see the rest of the USA and you will soon discover that the only thing unique about Grand Junction compared to most other towns about the same size is the great scenery and easy access to outdoor recreation. Some folks are willing to pay a modest premium for that.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 04-22-2009 at 08:55 AM.. Reason: Remove references to a troll post that was deleted.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:42 AM

323 posts, read 1,060,580 times
I've never been to GJ but have a friend who relocated there from Michigan and loves it for the outdoor recreation. That's what's most important to him.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:51 AM

I agree with you electic-lady. Personal values always influence opinions about the live-ability of any location, no matter what anybody else says about the place. That is why is is so helpful to visit a place that you are thinking of relocating to. No one elses opinion really matters in the long run.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:24 AM

1,201 posts, read 3,798,679 times
I've been in GJ since 2002. I grew up in Massachusetts, then I lived in Wyoming for several years before moving here. GJ has it's problems, and current housing costs are a bit too high for my tastes, but I love the outdoor activities here. I ride bikes a lot and hike and camp. There are plenty of these opportunities right here in Mesa County.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:36 PM

6,288 posts, read 10,672,206 times
Currently there are no jobs being advertised in the papers. Things are real slow.

As for what it's like here, well it's a pretty decent small town (about 70,000 population.) If you like towns of this size, chances are you would like it. It's peaceful, people are friendly and respectful. Very low crime.

Your profile doesn't say where you're from, so I'm not sure how different it would be for you. It's a dry, desert environment. Very little precipitation, mostly sunny skies. It's at 5,000 foot elevation. It's quite barren and brown.

There are big mountains nearby. There's also some popular outdoors spots such as the Monument which offer desert hiking and such.

Grand Junction is in an area known as the "western slope" because we're on the western side of the Rocky mountains. GJ is the most populous town on the western slope.

If you're not used to small towns, then you might have to adjust to life in GJ. There's not much in the way of city life, culture, etc. (at least compared to bigger cities.)

Things to do in GJ include: parks, outdoor sports (there's lot of local softball and baseball teams). There's a decent little "Main street" which has some little shops and stuff. But the Main street closes at 5pm and pretty much isn't open on weekends. There's also a few bars and things like that.

also for some reason, there's an unusually high number of sushi restaurant restaurants, like six or seven. Grand Junction local seem to adore sushi.

you'll like Grand Junction if you like a small town atmosphere and you like living in a desert environment. Especially if you like sports because there's plenty of sporting activities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinecities View Post
I'm considering relocating there. Are there many office jobs there - ie. billing, customer service, clerical - many businesses?

What's it like there overall?
Thanks!

Old 04-22-2009, 12:42 PM

6,288 posts, read 10,672,206 times
Jazzlover:

i wouldn't say that there's a "crime problem." I mean, my criteria for a crime problem are:
- graffitti, trash, lots of problem people on the streets
- feeling unsafe walking down the street

None of these in GJ. Extremely minimal crime.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:50 PM

I think jazz means that there's alot of crime now compared to the amount of crime when he lived there in the 1800s.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:06 PM

102 posts, read 306,254 times
i wouldn't say that there's a "crime problem." I mean, my criteria for a crime problem are:
- graffitti, trash, lots of problem people on the streets
- feeling unsafe walking down the street

You must just not live in the right neighborhood. I had a house in downtown Grand Junction until 2006, and we had everything you listed and much worse. I'm talking police visits to the block on a daily basis. I'm not kidding, one night I couldn't get home because SWAT guys with assault rifles had my whole area blocked off, looking for a crazed gunman on the loose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado