Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 04:04 PM

71 posts, read 299,850 times

Advertisements

My thread got put in the wrong place some how so I'll try again. We are looking for advice on whether to switch from propane to natural gas. Those of you who have made the switch, are you happy with your decision. Is propane warmer than natural gas? My research that I have looked at on the internet say propane has more BTU's than natural gas. The natural gas company said that natural gas has more BTU. Who do you beleive. Is the cost of heating a home cheaper with natural gas than propane? We just want hear from you all that have made the switch and what your experience is. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 02:33 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic View Post
My thread got put in the wrong place some how so I'll try again. We are looking for advice on whether to switch from propane to natural gas. Those of you who have made the switch, are you happy with your decision. Is propane warmer than natural gas? My research that I have looked at on the internet say propane has more BTU's than natural gas. The natural gas company said that natural gas has more BTU. Who do you beleive. Is the cost of heating a home cheaper with natural gas than propane? We just want hear from you all that have made the switch and what your experience is. Thanks
Here's a calculator that can assist homeowners in figuring out which method of heating a home is more economical:
www.eia.gov/neic/experts/heatcalc.xls
Based on that spreadsheet, here is the rough order, from low cost to higher cost, per million of BTUs:
- Geothermal heat pump $10.14
- Coal $10.47
- Natural Gas $13.24
- Elec Air Source Heat Pump $14.83
- Wood $16.53
- Corn $17.84 (see link for details)
- Wood Pellets $22.28
- Fuel Oil $31.15
- Kerosene $34.54
- Propane $37.48
See the spreadsheet for all the details and notes.

Here's a Federal page for comparing wood to other fuels...
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-20-2011 at 02:41 PM..

Old 07-04-2009, 05:20 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,476,427 times
If natural gas is available, I would go with natural gas--for two reasons. First, propane tends to be more expensive--if for no other reason than it is less efficient to deliver to the home--propane by truck to a tank, natural gas through a pipeline network. Second, is safety. Natural gas is lighter than air, so if there is a leak, it will dissipate fairly readily. Propane is heavier than air, so if there is a leak, it tends to pool in the lowest place in the structure in a concentrated mass. If the propane finds an ignition source, a devastating explosion can occur. This can happen with natural gas, too, but natural gas has a better chance to dissipate rather than pooling. I have used both over the years--when I had a choice, I always used natural gas.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:03 PM

2,221 posts, read 5,291,770 times
Neither gas nor propane is "warmer" than the other...that's a layman's fallacy associated with not buying a furnace with sufficient BTU output for the heated space.

Propane is primarily produced as a petroleum by-product, so a spike in oil prices can produce a punishing spike in propane prices. It's also produced in limited quantities according to projected seasonal demand, and a large unanticipated spike in demand from a severe cold spell, or a production/distribution shock (refinery or tank farm explosion, distribution problems from blizzards, hurricanes etc) can send prices spiralling to the heavens.

Last year, when oil hit $147/bbl, propane hit $4/gal in some rural areas of CO. A good rule of thumb for propane use in this area is to divide your house's square footage by two, and that's approximately how many gallons of propane you'll need each year. At $4/gal that averages to $500/month all year long for a 3000 sq ft house...or about $900/month to heat the house during winter, and maybe $50/month throughout the year for hot water, dryer, stove etc.

Natural gas prices tend to be more stable. Most people I know using propane do it because they have no other choice.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:09 AM

227 posts, read 1,009,200 times
Well said Bob. When it comes down to it, fire is hot no mater what is fueling it!

Old 07-06-2009, 03:29 PM

18,021 posts, read 27,468,060 times
I get really hot when I get my propane bill. We are on natural gas now and our bill was way lower.

Tell your propane company to come get their 500 gallon yard bomb out of your yard and pay the 200.00 to get the natural gas conversion.

It's cheaper, it's better, no more yard bomb.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:45 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Here's a calculator that can assist homeowners in figuring out which method of heating a home is more economical:
www.eia.gov/neic/experts/heatcalc.xls
Based on that spreadsheet, here is the rough order, from low cost to higher cost, per million of BTUs:
- Geothermal heat pump $10.14
- Coal $10.47
- Natural Gas $13.24
- Elec Air Source Heat Pump $14.83
- Wood $16.53
- Corn $17.84 (see link for details)
- Wood Pellets $22.28
- Fuel Oil $31.15
- Kerosene $34.54
- Propane $37.48
See the spreadsheet for all the details and notes.

Here's a Federal page for comparing wood to other fuels...
I've updated the old figures since the old link no longer worked. Looks like Propane is a huge loser compared to natural gas.

Wood can be pretty close, but most of us don't want to mess with a stove several times a day and night. My sister pretty much heats her home with wood; her husband has a pal in the sheet metal biz who wrapped their wood stove in ductwork so that the forced air system puts the heat throughout the whole house. Works great, and looks pretty ugly, but most basements aren't very photogenic to start with.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 11-05-2012 at 10:28 AM..

Old 12-20-2011, 03:21 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
I have friends in the San Juans that heat their homes with propane, it's their only choice. A buddy spent $3,000 to fill up his tank. That's insane. My home is heated with natural gas, which is going up, but so far the bills have been around $80.00 a month. I also supplement heating by firewood that cost $100.00 for two cords. Of course the thermostat is kept at 66 degrees when I'm here and 62 at night. I don't keep a house 80 degrees, that's dumb. I put on a sweatshirt.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:59 AM

18,021 posts, read 27,468,060 times
So you freeze, but it's only costing you $80.00/month? Pretty good deal...... I think.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:16 AM
gn3

151 posts, read 416,754 times
66 isn't freezing. I keep my place at 63 in the morning/evening, 58 when we're gone or at night. To me it feels comfortable with season-appropriate clothes. Anything above 68 is sweltering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado