Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 08:51 AM

152 posts, read 142,531 times

Advertisements

May be touring Pueblo, Co this Spring Break, wanted to get an early start on suggestions.

Anything you all have in mind to check out?
Coming from San Antonio originally, I plan on taking a look at the riverwalk and laughing derisively. "Haw Haw Haw! That's not how we do it in Texas!! Yeeehaw!!", I shall loudly proclaim for all to hear. (Just kidding. I'm obviously kidding.) but, I do have that on
The List of things to visit.

We're thinking of either moving around that area or Vancouver, WA.
Vancouver is more my wife's idea, and Pueblo is mine, so I need help convincing her.
I'd like an affordable place (where we can afford to live and walk/bike around downtown)
with a decent college and outdoor rec. opportunities withing easy reach.

This 'trifecta' is surprisingly hard to pin down.
Low price, outdoors, decent college.
In a liberty minded liberal-ish state.
That's four things, I know, but still.

I also plan on at least driving around the worst parts of the city to see what I'm in for.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 09:11 AM

3,125 posts, read 5,047,057 times
Have you been to Vancouver yet? What were your impressions? We briefly looked at Seattle but were scared away by the prices, airport noise and overcast. We also looked at C.S. but are in the process of being scared away by military centric economy, crime, conservative and religion. Currently looking at Loveland and Fort Collins. Have you considered Fort Collins? We keep circling back to Denver metro is so far pretty darn perfect for us. <Not trying to hijack your Pueblo thread.>

Old 01-10-2015, 09:31 AM

I have only been to Vancouver *once* as a trip to a music store.
I lived in Portland for a year, Olympia for a few months, Eugene for 2 years.
Arcata,CA on and off for awhile...But have only visited Vancouver once.

Wife stayed in Vancouver, BC when she was young for awhile.
So, what I'm getting at is...we're familiar with the general PNW but not Vancouver.

She has a friend that lives there and will give her a good job recommendation.
My wife is a bilingual elementary teacher, so...not sure if that matters or not.

Personally, I reeally dislike hiking in the mud. A lot.
And, hiking and camping are a sorta big deal with me.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:16 AM

2,253 posts, read 6,984,029 times
Wink As well Crested Butte

Yes, visit the Riverwalk in Pueblo, as well as other attractions I will not go into and others would better elucidate.

But my recommendation on your spring break visit is to set one day aside to travel to Crested Butte. I might as well have said Salida, and do (especially the core downtown area several blocks north of US 50). But if as far one should really see the true mountains at Monarch Pass (maybe even getting a little skiing in). But since that far, Gunnison is an iconic Colorado town one should really see, and not that much farther from Monarch. With then the lovely town of Crested Butte shortly beyond Gunnison a natural terminus. For to understand Colorado and why yourself and so many others might favor it, then some of the better aspects. Unless, that is, Pueblo would be the end all of your desires and travels.

Nor would such an excursion need be all that daunting. It is a feasible day round trip, with a driving time from Pueblo to Crested Butte of about 3.5 hours, one way. In a long day that would allow enough time to briefly drive through downtown Salida and other attractions, with a leisurely lunch in Crested Butte. Alternately, a night spent in Crested Butte, with then far more time to explore and enjoy it and all else along the way.

From Cañon City one enters the mountains in the canyon of the Arkansas River up to Salida (elevation 7,083 feet, versus Pueblo's 4,692 feet—Crested Butte lies at 8,909 feet). At that time of year the weather might be anything, with Colorado customarily receiving a lot of snow in March. Nevertheless a good chance one might have a weather window with fairly dry roads all the way into Crested Butte. If with at least a front wheel drive vehicle with at minimum good all-season tires, there should be little issue. But watch the weather closely, as well as CDOT advisements on (more or less) current road conditions. If the weather is difficult, then probably best to adjourn this for another time.

Otherwise, one will surely have all the better appreciation of Pueblo by knowing what lies beyond. And one aspect of a spring break trip one is sure to fondly remember. With perhaps even a few ideas gained in consequence.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:49 AM

Thanks a lot, Idunn. Great info.

Old 01-10-2015, 12:44 PM

17,988 posts, read 27,444,769 times
If you are serious into hiking, I'd recommend going up to Rye and/or San Isabel and finding a trailhead and just going.

Rye has the park and the Bartlett Trail, San Isabel has St. Charles and the Natural Slide just east of San Isabel Lake of which I have a photo thread here.

There's also Bishop Castle, Mingus Ranch, Ophir Creek all along 165 just up from Rye and San Isabel in Pueblo and Custer Counties.

Some hiking can be done around Pueblo Reservoir and the surrounding area as well.

San Antonio has the superior River Walk, we'd all agree. But at least birds don't fly upside down in Colorado like they do in Texas. Jk. All in good fun, ha ha. But srsly, hope you enjoy.

Last edited by McGowdog; 01-10-2015 at 12:56 PM..

Old 01-10-2015, 03:40 PM

Wow, lots of cool places to hike. I'm lovin' it!

Old 01-10-2015, 03:50 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
If you're up for a long hike (and it's not muddy) Picketwire Canyon east of Pueblo has the largest dinosaur track site in North America. I personally haven't been there yet, but plan to do the hike in late April or early May.

Picketwire Canyon in Southeast Colorado

//www.city-data.com/forum/color...hoto-tour.html

Old 01-10-2015, 04:41 PM

17,988 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Thanks Blue.

There's also Comanche Grasslands and Vogal Canyon.
//www.city-data.com/forum/color...hoto-tour.html

Old 01-12-2015, 06:01 AM

What are some of the places within the city proper that you all would suggest visiting?

We plan on looking at the library, the Riverwalk, parts of the Eastside that are the worst...just to know how bad it is. Coming from San Antonio I don't think it can be as bad as some parts of that city, but still, want a full view of what the city has to offer, both good and bad, you know? Thanks again for all the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado