Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 08:21 PM

13 posts, read 30,430 times

Advertisements

Hi, this is my first post on here and I've been searching for basically a liberal, vegetarian friendly, not your typical suburban neighborhood but also somewhere safe and child friendly rental house in Colorado. Basically I've noticed people steering towards Boulder but as I mentioned we're young, college, first time parents, and Boulder is expensive. Our price range is very low- less than 600/mo on rent. Does anyone have some advice on apartments or home rentals, good neighborhoods, and maybe even jobs? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 09:15 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,791,609 times
Pueblo?

Old 07-14-2009, 09:41 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,465,055 times
Probably not gonna happen in Colorado at that price range--at least not until what's left of the Colorado economy gets done collapsing. Then there won't be any entry level jobs.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:05 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,810,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Probably not gonna happen in Colorado at that price range--at least not until what's left of the Colorado economy gets done collapsing. Then there won't be any entry level jobs.
This of course will take place directly following the famine, locusts,and frogs..and btw Boulder is for fluffy headed hippies..

Old 07-15-2009, 08:21 AM

48 posts, read 150,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
True statement! In Durango, you cannot find anything decent for under about $800 unless you want to live in a trailer park and even those are overpriced!

Old 07-15-2009, 09:25 AM

169 posts, read 672,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegmamamegan View Post
Hi, this is my first post on here and I've been searching for basically a liberal, vegetarian friendly, not your typical suburban neighborhood but also somewhere safe and child friendly rental house in Colorado. Basically I've noticed people steering towards Boulder but as I mentioned we're young, college, first time parents, and Boulder is expensive. Our price range is very low- less than 600/mo on rent. Does anyone have some advice on apartments or home rentals, good neighborhoods, and maybe even jobs? Thank you!
Maybe Fort Collins. College town like Boulder, but cheaper. However $600 a month for rent is still low even for Ft Collins, but it is possible for a studio or 1 bedroom apt. Jobs? Now that is another story. In this economic climate jobs are hard to come by anywhere. My only recommendation is to please make sure you have a job BEFORE you move to you new town/city of choice.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:31 AM

2,437 posts, read 8,181,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegmamamegan View Post
Hi, this is my first post on here and I've been searching for basically a liberal, vegetarian friendly, not your typical suburban neighborhood...
What exactly does 'vegetarian friendly' mean?

Do you just want to make sure they have a produce market, or are you seriously afraid you might be chased with pitchforks and torches for throwing a Sheetake Mushroom on the grill?

Old 07-15-2009, 09:47 AM

5,167 posts, read 11,435,254 times
Vegetarian friendly would be health food stores that sell foods you have a hard time finding in regular supermarkets, such as tempeh, soy creamer, hemp milk etc. AND restaurants that offer a variety of meatless options. At least that is, what it means to me... and I am a vegetarian.

forum rules, please read them

Old 07-15-2009, 10:19 AM

2,437 posts, read 8,181,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Vegetarian friendly would be health food stores that sell foods you have a hard time finding in regular supermarkets, such as tempeh, soy creamer, hemp milk etc. AND restaurants that offer a variety of meatless options. At least that is, what it means to me... and I am a vegetarian.
Hemp Milk?

Whatever, I get the picture. Thanks... Would a vitamin cottage or whole foods do? We have plenty of those in the urban/suburban areas.

As for restaurants, I've been to very few eateries that did not have a decent variety of meatless options. If you're looking for a place where being a strict vegetarian (leaning toward vegan?...) is more mainstream then it sounds like Boulder would be your best bet since it seems to have more earthy college students that lean that way. However, as previously mentioned, the problem with Boulder is the housing expense.

I'd say pick an affordable place that you like, where you can find work, and then find ways to live your liberal eco veggie lifestyle. So far, I've seen no grocery stores in this state that are packed with nothing but meat, and no one will harass you for being liberal or even occasionally hugging a tree. You might want to keep a diaper on your child though, at least one made out of hemp or some other renewable fiber.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:23 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,993,025 times
To me, vegetarian frinedly means: even though the business establishment may not be a vegetarain oriented business, it recognizes that vegetarains are potential customers too, so they provide options for the vegetarian. Most restaurants fall into that category to varying degrees. So do most supermarkets, but they usually charge higher prices than the natural foood stores do for the same items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado