Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 08:18 AM

48 posts, read 150,781 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Pagosa and my brother still lives there. Pagosa has been hit hard by the real estate bust. Construction is at an all time low and only 3 building permits were issued from January to April. There are tons of second home owners there and they prop the economy up a little bit by shopping locally. If you are retired or have money to just live on, Pagosa is a beautiful area with nice people. If you are moving there first and then plan on looking for work, you really need to think about it some more!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 01:52 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,343,307 times
Sorry about the elvation Jazzlover! I always stay at Corkins and I thought that was the elevation. Maybe it was driving North pass Chama into Antonio (sp). Anyway, I live as rural in Eastern OK. To get MILK I would have to ddrive 30 minutes. I am not a shopper so that is no problem. Medical does seem like a problem in that area as we are reaching the upper 50s and moving in our lower 60s. I live on a very rural ranch which is nice and beautiful but I was the mountains is the reason for the possible sale of the ranch.

Your right about the contruction. While there last year I contacted a log builder who lives in Pagosa Springs but builds in Chama because he said Pagosa was giving out building permits. True what I was told, he and Pagosa Springs only knows. Prices in Chama I've seen come down some. Haven't check real hard in Pagosa but it does look like Trinidad has come down some.

My husband is a Santa Fe History Buff.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:51 PM

977 posts, read 1,956,497 times
Downtown Pagosa is only about 7000 ft because it sits in a valley...many of the surrounding developments like Pagosa Lakes and such are indeed over 8000. The airport field elevation is 7664.

Crime is pretty much non-existant, just like jobs. It's really a nice town if you can afford it, and stand the scent of sulfur downtown.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:06 PM

38 posts, read 101,509 times
My family has owned a property on the Upper 84 (Upper Blanco Basin) for over 35 years. When my grandparents bought it was a tiny, nothing little town. I absolutely LOVE Pagosa but there are some drawbacks. There is no major medical facility so you would have to go to Durango, cost of living is high because of the isolation, the county is bankrupt (literally) because of the "good ol' boys club" government. Because of the fiscal problems they are over-inflating the cost of properties. My grandparents taxes are now five times higher than last year and no I am not exaggerating at all. This may just be on the larger properties though.
Pagosa has a wonderful small town feel but it is big enough that not everyone knows everyone. Skiing at Wolf Creek is the best. It gets more snow than anywhere in CO and is not a resort because the community has refused to become the next Crested Butte or Vail. There is a great sense of community there and don't forget the HUGE amount of Natl' forest. I would live there in a heartbeat if we were able. It truly is a one stoplight town.
As for the fiscal problems, I really do think it will bounce back. It is beautiful and you can get some good deals on real estate right now.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:48 AM

48 posts, read 150,781 times
Pagosa Mountain Hospital has been in operation about a year now. I think they are fine for general medical issues but will transfer you to Durango for anything cardiac or something that would require surgery.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:58 PM

147 posts, read 627,332 times
Just to clear something up: Archuleta county is not, and did not go bankrupt. It did come close last year, however at this time the county is now running in the black. Because of the county discovering huge deficits (a.k.a. missing money) and having only a few months of operating revenue left last year, many employees were laid off and huge budget cuts were made. After months of audits by both the state and a private firm, the only answers that came out were that money had been "mismanaged." Soon after all this, two new commissioners were elected to office and appear to be making some good fiscal decisions, IMO. As with many small counties in the state, sales tax revenues are way down and the economy here has really taken a hit.

As far as the hospital, SWColorado is right. The Pagosa Mountain Hospital is mainly a critical care access hospital and if you needed major surgery or had serious health problems you would be transferred to Durango or possibly Denver.

Propery taxes did go up a lot here. However, it's not necessarily the county's fault. By Colorado law they had to use the home values from two or so years ago for appraisal purposes, at which time the RE "boom" was still happening here. Therefore, it seems like property is overinflated by today's standards. That, along with the Homestead Exemption being taken away by the state, has really raised taxes for many people. Maybe this is wishful thinking, but two years from now when the assessor does appraisals again, property taxes will hopefully be lowered due to the current price drop in home values.

Oh, we also have two stoplights here. One downtown and one on the west side of town (Hwy 160/Piedra Rd.).

Old 07-22-2009, 06:32 PM

38 posts, read 101,509 times
My grandparents lost their Homestead exemption and their land is being assessed at $50k an acre. Also my grandfather cut off two fingers several years ago and being in the Upper Blanco Basin they are not exactly close to Pagosa let alone Durango but they did do a good enough job in Pagosa that they were able to save both fingers in Durango and he does have use of them today. My point on being so gruesome is that you can get medical care in Pagosa but anything more you will be sent over the mountain and they do have lift flight if necessary.

Despite any downfalls I would live in Pagosa in a second if my dh could get a job there equal to what he is making in KY.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:15 AM

So what would taxes be on a an 50K an acre? Boy I have 300 acres assessed at 3 an acrea in Eastern OK. Now that is taxed at a different rate than my home on 20 acres but I do have a homestead exemption and a ranching exemption. I had hope that property taxes wouldn't be crazy. I do intend to really downsize like 5 - 10 acres!!!

Old 10-11-2009, 04:17 PM

5 posts, read 20,892 times
Kerrymac,
My wife and I just moved here and jobs are tough!!! to come by. Otherwise....We love it!!!

Old 03-24-2010, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrenner1 View Post
Kerrymac,
My wife and I just moved here and jobs are tough!!! to come by. Otherwise....We love it!!!

Take away needing a job because we will be retired. How do you like living in Pagosa Spriings now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado