Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 06:43 PM

1 posts, read 29,661 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to Canon City, Co. in few months, so I am trying to find as much information about this place as I can . I have Fibromyalgia and hope that the climate will improve my health. Will appraciate any input on this location.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 07-18-2009 at 06:49 PM.. Reason: Deleting unneeded quoted material, after relocation from another thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 08:14 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,573,774 times
there's been a lot of discussion on this forum about Canon City. I suggest you do a search and you will probably find what you need to know.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:17 PM

12,259 posts, read 24,359,132 times
Its a nice small town located 30 miles west of Pueblo. If you like small towns you should like it.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:22 PM

4 posts, read 69,783 times
Default Canon City visitor

I drove from Phoenix to Canon City last week and found this town (small city) quite a breath of fresh air. I found the town very easy to drive thru and the people friendly. I've been looking for 35 acre parcels to purchase and found several to choose from. The downtown is pretty clean and charming. Hopefully if all goes well, I'll be returning in September to finish
looking around. Compared to Phoenix, this is paradise....and I've in Arizona for over 30 years

Old 08-23-2009, 05:39 PM

26,115 posts, read 48,712,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyjohn View Post
I drove from Phoenix to Canon City last week and found this town (small city) quite a breath of fresh air. I found the town very easy to drive thru and the people friendly. I've been looking for 35 acre parcels to purchase and found several to choose from. The downtown is pretty clean and charming. Hopefully if all goes well, I'll be returning in September to finish looking around. Compared to Phoenix, this is paradise....and I've in Arizona for over 30 years
John, be sure to study the info on water rights and issues, it's a big deal here.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:45 PM

4 posts, read 69,783 times
Default Canon City visitor

Hi Mike, yeah I already have looked into the " water" issue in Colorado. At least in Colorado they seem concerned about water. In Arizona it's all about money, greed and self preservation. One day Arizona will turn back into a desert.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:03 PM

1,742 posts, read 3,104,498 times
Canon city's aquifers have been polluted from a uranium mill. It is a superfund site. Hasn't even been cleaned up and the owners want to re open it. Shame on them. Here's a link. Issues at Cañon City uranium mill (Colorado) Here's another from Canon City residents http://www.downtheyellowcakeroad.org/

Old 08-29-2009, 08:24 PM

4 posts, read 47,584 times
I have lived in Canon City for over 22 years and love it. As far as the uranium mill, there was only 1 well in a part of town called Lincoln Park that had barely over the acceptable limit of radium. Canon City is a clean, beautiful town, we have no polluting businesses here. The prisons and tourism are our main industries and they keep us financially stable. Cotter, the mill, has been made by the state to do a major cleanup and they are intensively watched. I am not worried about the mill but the publicity has been extremely damaging to our reputation. Our drinking water comes from the river, the only thing Cotter affected was an area that runs along a small area of one section, and this area was extensively tested with no findings of contamination except in the above mentioned well, people living in Linclon Park have not used wells for drinking or irrigatin for a long, long time. We are still "undiscovered" for the state and still affordable. If you like a low cost of living yet with all the luxuries you will love it here. We have several outstanding riding groups/clubs from dressge to team roping, several cafes to get your lattes, hot springs to go relax in, a fabulous river with some of the best white water rafting, and old water rights that keep the fields and older neighborhoods green. We are called the "banana belt" or "climate capital" of Colorado because our winters are so mild. I have ridden my horse in 65 -70 degree days during Christmas some years.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:40 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,440,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarenka View Post
I will be relocating to Canon City, Co. in few months, so I am trying to find as much information about this place as I can . I have Fibromyalgia and hope that the climate will improve my health. Will appraciate any input on this location.
Well, there's good news and bad news regarding Canon City..

First the bad news...
There are thousands of criminals living there...
But the good news...
They are all incarcerated in the prisons there...and when they get out of prison, they go back to Denver...

I like Canon City......

Old 08-30-2009, 02:33 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,063,980 times
I LOVE Canon City!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Listen, we are just a hop skip and jump to COS and Pueblo AND...2 hours to Denver!!
It's just 2 hours to Breckenridge (my fave) and...we have the most rafted place in the states ( The Arkansas River)!
We are (as someone else mentioned) the TRUE banana belt AND climate Capital of Colorado!
The Mountains surround us (literally) and if that isn't enough,.....our real estate is reasonable!!!YAY!!
I am from Denver (had my oldest there and my youngest in Aurora). I have lived in Arvada and Centennial. I still love Evergreen and love the resort areas but, NOTHING compares to Canon City!!
The views are awesome as are the people. Our schools are great and we have tons of mom and pop places as well as the normal places (like Walmart, Chilis, Home Depot,etc..)
If one is a "slowwww" driver, it might take you 45 minutes to Colorado Springs and maybe 38 to Pueblo!!
My oldest son was just here and, drove back and forth to Denver to lunch etc, to say goodbye to friends before moving to Antarctica!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He was in Rhode Island but was raised in Denver.
By the time one drives thru Denver or COS...here, you are in those cities!!
I sit here everyday and look out my windows at all of the greenery and Mountains!! Truly Beautiful!!!!
I live on the East side of town (right when you enter Canon, North of Walmart) and...I still can't believe the views I have!!
I lived directly on the beach in Florida for a year and then came back to my home here!! Yuck for the beach unless one is vacationing!! It's awful!!
The beauty here is unsurpassable!! It is very very green for Colorado and is very laid back. I know that it will change someday when everyone catches on but, for now.....it is an oasis.IMHO!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado