Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2009, 01:48 PM

6 posts, read 13,089 times

Advertisements

We are tired of the humidity and extreme heat and are looking for a medium size city ... like Denver. However we don't want to live in the city but have access to it. We also want our family to have the skiing access within a reasonable drive. We looking for a community / town atmosphere that we remember from living in the northeast. You know, where there is truly a town center and not just a strip mall on a highway. We like the feeling of green and are not really crazy about the desert look. I've been researching the Evergreen area but after reading this forum I think there is a significant wealth of knowledge about this area among you folk. We have rented a house in the Vail valley for 2 months so we can do our research and enjoy august and September in the mountains. But we think the Vail valley will not have enough for us as far as entertainment in the summertime. So we are looking to be closer to Denver for theater and shopping and all that middle size cities have to offer. Sorry for long winded note ... any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 01:57 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Look in the index for threads on Littleton. It is one of several towns on the west side of Denver that should suit you, and it has a stop on the light rail line. There are other suitable places that other members will tell you about.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-23-2009, 04:00 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
Having in lived in Vail for many summers I think they have TOO much to do! There is always something going on.

Old 07-23-2009, 04:43 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,954,564 times
I make it to Evergreen about a once a year. My last time through was September '08 and while I like the town a lot; I wouldn't really say
it has much beyond one or two commercial streets. Not even really "off" the main drag - they are sort of part of the main drag.

My niece has a home in Littleton and it's an easy hop in any direction to get to Denver or to the mountains - north or south.
Castle Rock is a nice area a bit farther south - though with C470, you can be on I-70West in no time.

I am surprised about Vail though - I am always hearing about all their festivals and summer activities.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:18 PM

Thank you for info.
We don't know Vail in summer ... just going for first time this year. I'm sure you are correct and we just don't know.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:20 PM

Spent better part of afternoon chasing the Littleton lead. Thank you. Looks very interesting.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:56 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
As a 30+ year Vail owner ... the absolute "best" times of the year there are the summers and fall.

If you're into outdoor activity, mild summer daytime temps (altitude is why), concerts at the Ford Amphitheater, outdoor high altitude gardens, hiking, golfing, tennis, bicycling, camping, Farmer's Markets, Art shows, fishing (streams and area lakes), boating on Dillon Res (just over the hill) ... you'll not have enough hours in the day to do all the stuff at your immediate reach in/around/near Vail. And you still have the core Village area with the restaurants/night life ... if that's what you want to do.

There's a lot more to do in and around Vail in the warm weather months than there is during the winter when the focus is on snow sport activity.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:24 PM

291 posts, read 911,640 times
Check out Golden.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:17 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
As a 30+ year Vail owner ... the absolute "best" times of the year there are the summers and fall.

If you're into outdoor activity, mild summer daytime temps (altitude is why), concerts at the Ford Amphitheater, outdoor high altitude gardens, hiking, golfing, tennis, bicycling, camping, Farmer's Markets, Art shows, fishing (streams and area lakes), boating on Dillon Res (just over the hill) ... you'll not have enough hours in the day to do all the stuff at your immediate reach in/around/near Vail. And you still have the core Village area with the restaurants/night life ... if that's what you want to do.

There's a lot more to do in and around Vail in the warm weather months than there is during the winter when the focus is on snow sport activity.
Ditto that. Winter was always ok, but I never really got into it except for summer. Always enjoyed the summer. Winter is very narrowly focused on skiing.

Also a lot of restaurants thanks to the great weather set up outside, which I always enjoy dining outside.

Nothing like being down at 4 eagle ranch eating steak and watching the setting sun reflect off the new york mountains.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:55 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,509,755 times
I don't think you'd be bored in Vail but if you want to live closer to the city, Evergreen is a great choice! It's 30 - 45 minutes to downtown Denver and it's about 70 miles to Vail. It has a nice little downtown, beautiful lake, good roads, and some really nice neighborhoods. Decent houses seem to start around 350k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado