Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2009, 06:29 AM

712 posts, read 2,145,513 times

Advertisements

The taxes on my house are being raised due to some necessary remodelling and repairs, but the estimation of it's value has jumped from 75,000 to 261,000 when hardly anything was spent on it. Is this an inflated number? Is there anyone out there who has had simillar experiences and was able to lower the appraisal to something more reasonable at the Assessment Appeals Board? Or does anyone know what will influence the opinion of an Assessment Appeals Board? What they'll listen to? Any advice or insites could be helpful in creating our arguments to put before the board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 07:44 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
I'm kinda' baffled on your timing of this question. By law, the Colorado county assessor's offices must issue assessments in the spring of odd-number years (every two years), and you have a month to appeal the assessed valuation. If you don't file in that time frame, then you are stuck with the valuation for this assessment cycle (2009 and 2010). The next assessor valuation will come in in 2011, and that's your first opportunity to contest (and possibly, appeal) the valuation.

With the information you've provided, it's impossible to know what the "comps" are or how the assessor determined the value of your house. The only thing you can do now is to go to their office and review the information on the data file about your house for mistakes ... number of rooms, fixtures, sq footage, construction, quality and condition issues, etc. Then you can start running "comps" in the area and see how their valuations and Fair Market Value compare to yours.

It may be that your house wasn't reviewed in the most recent cycles, and then when it was caught in the cycle of having repairs/improvements made, the assessor's office reviewed and updated an older valuation to reflect the current market. They're not amateurs, and they have some defensible reasons as to how they arrived at the valuation.

If you don't have experience with these matters, the best thing you can do for the next appraisal cycle in 2011 will be to get an appraisal of your own done on the house, then wait for the assessor's valuation. If they're pretty close, then probably best to leave the matter alone. If they are way apart, then contest the assessor's valuation.

A professional appraisal will be the best tool you'll have to contest the assessor, but even that isn't cast in stone to your favor if the assessor has comps that ... in their professional opinion ... establish the value of your house. They have several computer programs that analyze your house based on the information on the data card, and they do track the marketplace sales. FWIW, I think the assessor's industry has gotten a lot more competent and professional in the last few cycles with the modern software and database programs they now use ... defeating their valuation is more a matter of finding errors in their database affecting condition or material facts than contesting their sold comps.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:55 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,296,065 times
On this subject, my assessment seemed out of line compared to other units in the (condo) building. So, I appealed, presenting info from similar units assessed significantly less. The assessor stuck by his original value. Now, I have the opportunity to appeal. I'm new to CO. Where I lived before (PA), assessment appeals were usually handled by attorneys, fees paid out of the savings after a lowered assessment. Is that done here as well? Is an attorney typcially used for qassessment appeals in CO?

Old 07-28-2009, 07:38 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
Attorneys? no. Appraisers? yes.

Are you comparing sales from Jun 2007 to Dec 2008 or just using other units assessed value? You need to use similar sold properties.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:17 PM

712 posts, read 2,145,513 times
Default Hard to believe

The difficulty that I'm having with the jump in estimation is due to it's being purchased at 75,000, around this time last year. I guess it could have been undervalued at the time, but that just seems outrageous. Even for a houseing market that hasn't cooled, like here in the Denver area. I'll have to make sure that the assessed figures are correct.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:28 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,296,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Attorneys? no. Appraisers? yes.

Are you comparing sales from Jun 2007 to Dec 2008 or just using other units assessed value? You need to use similar sold properties.
I am using similar units and their assessed values as well as sales durin ghtat period. I'm in a new building where the first units didn't sell until the end of 2007.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:32 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
You also must keep in mind that the time frame for the comps/assessor's valuation is from a prior year period. In a declining market, those comps may be higher than the current marketplace.

Also, while your purchase price may be much lower than the "fair market value" of the property due to a number of distress issues or the seller's situation (or from a repo file, etc ... where a "short sale" has taken place), that doesn't necessarily represent what the market data shows you property to be worth by the assessor's standards. You may have gotten a "great deal" on the purchase price, but the assessor is bound by law to appraise the property at it's fair market value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado