Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 07:54 AM

184 posts, read 440,007 times

Advertisements

Caveat: Most of these photos were taken at 8000' elevation whereas Canon sits closer to 5300'. Snow pics were taken in January, Aspen in October, Hail in May.
Attached Thumbnails
Canon city persuasion!!!-125-2544_imga.jpg   Canon city persuasion!!!-dsc_0121a.jpg   Canon city persuasion!!!-dsc_0197a.jpg   Canon city persuasion!!!-dsc_0207a.jpg   Canon city persuasion!!!-dsc_0223a.jpg  

Canon city persuasion!!!-dsc_0237a.jpg   Canon city persuasion!!!-dsc_0268a.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 05:29 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
I live in Grand Junction, but if I had to relocate closer to the front range, Canon City would be high on the list. The real estate has not gone into nutsy mode. IMO you definitely have 4 seasons. If you're into fishing, some of the best trout fishing is just 30 miles west of Canon City on the Arkansas River. I've always been partial to the small towns along the way; Coaldale, Cotopaxi, Texas Creek. The great view of the Sangre de cristo mountain range is 45 minutes west of town. Other state roads lead to other mountain ranges you'd be sure to like. Been a while since i've been on those roads but was through Canon last month and will be going through there in a couple weeks.

Old 09-16-2009, 04:00 PM

723 posts, read 1,045,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I live in Grand Junction, but if I had to relocate closer to the front range, Canon City would be high on the list. The real estate has not gone into nutsy mode. IMO you definitely have 4 seasons. If you're into fishing, some of the best trout fishing is just 30 miles west of Canon City on the Arkansas River. I've always been partial to the small towns along the way; Coaldale, Cotopaxi, Texas Creek. The great view of the Sangre de cristo mountain range is 45 minutes west of town. Other state roads lead to other mountain ranges you'd be sure to like. Been a while since i've been on those roads but was through Canon last month and will be going through there in a couple weeks.
I wanted to visit Canon City sometime early next year. But I also do not want to visit during snow season. I was thinking maybe between mid March to late April. I don't mind the snow so much the freezing temps, but the ice on the roads is what I'm trying to avoid. I would like my first trip there to be a good experience. Could you tell me if that would be a good time to visit?? Whenever I do relocate it will be during the summer (I would like to not have to take my son out of school). So the visit would have to be in spring or very early summer. Thanks, DOUBLE H for your input I really do appreciate it.

GOD BLESS!!!
ALMOST2L8

Old 09-16-2009, 04:50 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMOST2L8 View Post
I wanted to visit Canon City sometime early next year. But I also do not want to visit during snow season. I was thinking maybe between mid March to late April. I don't mind the snow so much the freezing temps, but the ice on the roads is what I'm trying to avoid. I would like my first trip there to be a good experience. Could you tell me if that would be a good time to visit?? Whenever I do relocate it will be during the summer (I would like to not have to take my son out of school). So the visit would have to be in spring or very early summer. Thanks, DOUBLE H for your input I really do appreciate it.

GOD BLESS!!!
ALMOST2L8
You've got it bass ackwards, sort of. You should visit Colorado in its worst season--late winter to early spring. That way, you'll get a good idea whether you'll be able to like it or not. The are plenty of people who visit Colorado in summer, fall in love with place, move here--then find out that the 6-8 months of "brown season" at the lower elevations (which is where most Coloradans live) from about October to mid-May is not what they envisioned. You seldom see pictures of that posted, either. My camera sits in its case most of those months--why bother taking pictures then?

And, if you're going to live in Colorado, you'd better get over the idea of avoiding driving in winter conditions--sooner or later, you will have to do it. If that's not your cup of tea--you'd better look elsewhere.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
You've got it bass ackwards, sort of. You should visit Colorado in its worst season--late winter to early spring. That way, you'll get a good idea whether you'll be able to like it or not. The are plenty of people who visit Colorado in summer, fall in love with place, move here--then find out that the 6-8 months of "brown season" at the lower elevations (which is where most Coloradans live) from about October to mid-May is not what they envisioned. You seldom see pictures of that posted, either. My camera sits in its case most of those months--why bother taking pictures then?

And, if you're going to live in Colorado, you'd better get over the idea of avoiding driving in winter conditions--sooner or later, you will have to do it. If that's not your cup of tea--you'd better look elsewhere.
I'm going to be coming in April because wife and I will be celebrating our anniversary. As for the winter driving, I am from Chicago so I will be just fine. Im not worried about these conditions in general. I would just like our anniversary trip to be a good trip. I am not going to Canon City for the scenery, greenery, or weather. I will be fine with or without all of these things. The purpose of my visit is for scouting job location, surrounding area to, and to see the different neighborhoods. Most of all I want my wife and I to have a wonderful anniversary. Maybe you should stick to answering the questions being presented on the forum, instead of telling everyone the reasons not to come to Colorado. You constantly talk of it being crappy. If it is soooo crappy there, then why do YOU stay???? There must be something good about Colorado!! I didn't think my anniversary needed to be spoken of, but apparently I'm the one who has it backwards!!LOL Thanks to all for the info!!!

GOD BLESS!!!
ALMOST2L8

Old 09-16-2009, 10:36 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,885,624 times
Looks like CO has cheaper state income tax, so sell her on that!

State taxes: Alabama
State taxes: Wisconsin

CO:
Quote:
The Colorado income tax rate is a flat 4.63 percent of your federal taxable income, regardless of income level. State law allows for the rate to be temporarily reduced to 4.5 percent if the budget meets certain targets.
WI:
Quote:
Wisconsin collects income taxes from its residents utilizing four tax brackets.

For single taxpayers, they are:
-- 4.6 percent on the first $9,700 of taxable income
-- 6.15 percent on taxable income between $9,701 and $19,400
-- 6.5 percent on taxable income between $19,401 and $145,460
-- 6.75 percent on taxable income of $145,461 and above.

For married taxpayers filing joint returns, taxes are assessed at:
-- 4.6 percent on the first $12,930 of taxable income
-- 6.15 percent on taxable income between $12,931 and $25,860
-- 6.5 percent on taxable income between $25,861 and $193,950
-- 6.75 percent on taxable income of $193,951 and above.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Looks like CO has cheaper state income tax, so sell her on that!

State taxes: Alabama
State taxes: Wisconsin

CO:

WI:
Great info EricHarris/PokerMunkee, definately a good selling point. Also she actually likes the idea of Colorado as well. It is just moving so far away from home that is getting her. BTW we just had a baby, and she was born premature at 34 weeks (8 months) gestation. She was in the NICU for two weeks, but she is home now. She was on oxygen for the first 3-4 days and is still learning how to breath, but no longer needs the oxygen. She shouldn't have breathing problems, but I was wondering if moving there could bring problems?? When we move there she will be about 9-10 months old. Have you ever heard of a situation where a premature child had problems breathing at Colorado's altitude?? Does anyone have any experience with this situation?? Please!!! Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!

GOD BLESS!!!
ALMOST2L8

Old 09-17-2009, 09:05 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
I've never been in Wisconsin, but I've heard the winters are long and dreary. Based on that factor, I would say you should choose Colorado.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:08 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
Great pics, but it should be strongly noted that there's a big difference throughout these areas in the way things look between 5000' and 8000'. Go to any southwestern Rocky mountain state and 5000' is usually the desert (or valley of some sort) while 8000' is always up in the mountains. You're not going to be surrounded by beautiful forests and elk at 5000'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy WJ View Post
Caveat: Most of these photos were taken at 8000' elevation whereas Canon sits closer to 5300'. Snow pics were taken in January, Aspen in October, Hail in May.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:27 PM

184 posts, read 440,007 times
Generally I agree, which is why I noted the caveat. However, the last herd of elk I saw were down in Florence (at ~5000') right next to Canon City. That was in August. Granted I'm not there all the time to notice trends, and elk in Florence in August could have been extraordinary. As for beautiful forests, where our property sits at 8000' it's rather dry and somewhat desert like (all our south facing slopes are covered with prickly pear cactus). In some places in Canon at 5000' elevation it's actually greener than where our property sits at 8000' (which is still considered Canon City) due to irrigation and farming. That's why it's so important to visit in person. Everything is relative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado