Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2009, 03:18 PM

104 posts, read 605,641 times

Advertisements

I have found a website that lists a cities average temp and snow fall...and now for the life of me I can find it...anyone have any links.

I took my wife and daughter to colorado springs in 07 so she could have a white christmas and although people told me chances are it wouldn't..it began to snow as we pulled into the city and it snowed a little on christmas day.

Now I wan't to take my son to colorado this year and want to stay in a city or at least bea able to drive to a city that has a better chance of having snow fall the week of christmas. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 03:52 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,918,435 times
It's a hit or miss. If you want a higher probability that there's snow on the ground at least, you may want to pick one of the mountain towns. Summit county has a lot of options for a holiday stay but with Colorado weather, you never know.

Old 09-14-2009, 04:09 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,683,870 times
I've been in winters where December has been almost completely dry and others where the snow pounded down day after day. Your best bet is the ski resorts.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:13 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,897,594 times
How old is the son? I'd hit up Breckenridge or Keystone. If he's old enough, he'll love skiing/boarding! Oh, 100% guarantee you will "see" snow there, but no 100% guarantee you will see snow coming from the air.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:44 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,480,618 times
This has been beaten to death many times before, but here goes, one more time. For climate statistics, the most user-friendly site is Weatherbase . You can also go to the Western Regional Climate Center site Climate Data Summaries site ( Western U.S. Climate Historical Summaries ) to research, but it is not quite as user-friendly as Weatherbase.

Now, here's the deal: Late fall and early winter (i.e., November and December) are generally low precipitation months in most of Colorado. The bigger ski areas have invested in lots of snowmaking equipment over the years after having a number of Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday seasons with little snow on the ground. The snowiest months in Colorado are February through early April.

The northern mountains of the state tend to be favored with more likely early winter snowfall (December) than do the southern mountains--Steamboat is a good example of this. Because of Colorado's inland continental location, the weather from year-to-year is highly variable. Some years see lots of early season snow, some years none. Based on what is typical, the higher elevation areas of the northern part of the state west of the Continental Divide would statistically offer the best chance of snow on the ground and actual falling snow during December--but there are no guarantees.

A note to the moderators: Why don't you make a Colorado climate and weather subforum, with stickies for the web sites noted herein? It would save having the same questions asked over and over, and having to post the same website links time and again.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:33 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,880,620 times
Thank you for the Weatherbase link jazzlover, good info.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:18 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,683,870 times
Much of it has to do with whether El Nino or La Nina is active in the Pacific Ocean
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado