Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 01:10 PM

111 posts, read 574,834 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if this sounds like a coyote attack:

This morning I found my two pet rabbits in my suburban backyard in southwest littleton dead from an attack by something. The top of the 6ft wood fence has a board pried loose with nails exposed from whatever scaled the fence. The smaller of the two rabbits was laying outside the rabbit run area with its head bitten off. I'm guessing the animal that got it was going to carry him off. The backyard is right on a busy street, so maybe a loud noise or something scared the predator(s) away? The larger rabbit was still within the rabbit run - nothing bit her, so she must have died of fright.

I thought a 6ft fence around the small backyard would deter predators. Very sadly I've learned how wrong that assumption was, and the obvious wisdom never leave a pet outside at night. I didn't think this would happen in the middle of a neighborhood.

Last edited by lovesunnydays; 09-14-2009 at 01:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 01:22 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,048,379 times
Could be a coyote. So sorry.

Last night I heard coyotes yipping around 9:30, and we live in the midst of a populous suburb. I'm hoping that my neighbors who let their cat wander heard it, too, and will take precautions.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:27 PM

36 posts, read 87,208 times
about a month ago a coyote jumped over my GF's 6ft wood fence (theres dirt on the oppsing side) and chased her dog in the backyard. when everyone came out yellin it jumped back over. this in in suburban SE Aurora, where bunnnies are all over the place runnin around lol

sorry to hear, but probably was a coyote

Old 09-14-2009, 01:44 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,790,983 times
It could have been a fox

Old 09-14-2009, 01:45 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,180,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesunnydays View Post
I thought a 6ft fence around the small backyard would deter predators. Very sadly I've learned how wrong that assumption was, and the obvious wisdom never leave a pet outside at night. I didn't think this would happen in the middle of a neighborhood.
Probably coyotes but could also have been a fox or even neighborhood dogs if there was any way to slip into the fenced area. So sorry about your loss.

As you've unfortunately learned the hard way, a 6-foot fence might DETER predators, but it won't stop them. A well-constructed bunny hutch would likely do the trick, but that's no guarantee to protect against very hungry predators.

How to Build a Bunny Hutch | eHow.com

Old 09-14-2009, 02:01 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Coyote(s).

OK, time for a hunt.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:11 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,180,716 times
Sorry about your bunnies.

It sounds like a coyote or fox. I've seen both in Denver city limits.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:32 PM

111 posts, read 574,834 times
Thanks for all the replies. I feel especially awful for not protecting my bunnies properly... I guess farmers know what they're doing when you see any outdoor animal enclosure with enclosed sides all araound, top and bottom included, so nothing can get to them. As much as I love rabbits, I'm going to go with an indoor pet like hamsters for our next pet.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:44 PM

1,664 posts, read 4,362,313 times
Urban predators like fox and coyotes are highly adaptable and very crafty. Sorry you had to learn this the hard way. Best not to leave the small pets out at night unless they have a fortified, impermeable enclosure.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:50 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,913,962 times
I had 7 ft fences around my property before I moved as do most of the neighbors in the 'hood I lived in. Because I have a dog the neighborhood fox never came into my yard but the lady next door would find a fox sunning him/herself in her backyard all the time.

Sorry to hear about your rabbits. Even in suburban and urban areas you have to do what you can to protect all housepets from coyotes and foxes. Heck, even in places not that close to the mountains (Briargate in Colorado Springs) have been known to have mountain lions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado