Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 08:59 AM

402 posts, read 1,056,050 times

Advertisements

How do you like it? I have lived in florida for 25 years and San Diego before that. I have lived in Florida not because I like it here but because all our family is here. I am sick of the HUMID summer days and lack of seasons. We go to Tennessee every christmas and love the mountains. We have been to Colorado and have a small group of family there.

My family here says I will get sick of the snow, how have all of you adapted. I think I will enjoy it but they say everyone enjoys it the first winter or two and then it gets old. I just dont think this is the case and would like to hear from all of you from the humid south, how have you adapted, are you glad you made the move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 09:48 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
Like any change, you adapt. There have been other postings here about how to deal with the humidity (dry skin, unquenchable thirst, etc). Personally, I like the fact that you do not have to swelter in the summer. Even if the temperature is in the 90's, it doesn't feel as hot as the humid South. Yes, winters are cold, but that is winter. You put on a coat and turn up the heat (or add a log to the fire). After a year or two, you will be like the rest of us who barely wear coats on a sunny winter day because it doesn't feel cold. Winter doesn't get "old" here because we have so many sunny days -- it's not the on-going gray skies of a mid-west state.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:50 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,342,692 times
I grew up in Colo. Spgs. and missed one day of school because the snow was so bad, even for the plows. The plows are out doing the roads so people can still get around. I've heard it's still that way.
I don't like humid weather and spent time in humid climates in the southern states. I'm in a non humid area now in NM, checking out Colo. for the future living and I don't get sick of seeing snow. One thing I had to change moving from humid to non humid is skin and hair care. That was not a huge issue.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:57 AM

447 posts, read 1,606,917 times
I moved here from SC, and I can tell you one thing.......You could give me a FREE million dollar house back in the SE and I wouldn't go back for anything in this world............And the snow comment, it all depends on how much you like snow, personally it could snow year round and skip summer for all I care............Good luck!!!

Old 09-21-2009, 12:38 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
I spent 16 years in Virginia Beach, cursing the humidity almost ever day. After 3 year in Colorado, I much prefer the drier air and the sunnier climate of western Colorado, but I do miss the rain. A rainy day around here is a real treat. Although Colorado winters are colder and longer than Virginia Beach winters, winters in the 2 places are pretty much a wash in my mind. The sun makes even the coldest days here at least as comfortable as the frequent gray, dreary, damp days of southeast winters. In Virginia Beach I dreaded the summers. Here in Colorado I am enjoying summer once again, though the cooler fall weather is still very welcome.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:10 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
I think if you can handle the inverse of humidity which is very dry air, plus be able to handle the high elevation, highly variable weather, microclimates and long winters you'll be fine.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:37 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
So far so good. I am drinking it seems like several gallons of water a day and am addicted to that Lipton Green Tea with Citrus. I don't go anywhere without my western slope newcomer kit: Bottle of water, chapstick, sunscreen and a hat.

Old 09-21-2009, 05:49 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
So far so good. I am drinking it seems like several gallons of water a day and am addicted to that Lipton Green Tea with Citrus. I don't go anywhere without my western slope newcomer kit: Bottle of water, chapstick, sunscreen and a hat.
Jim I am looking forward to hearing about how winter goes for you.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:08 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
As long as there isn't an ICE STORM I'm good.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:28 PM

447 posts, read 1,606,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
As long as there isn't an ICE STORM I'm good.
Don't really have those.....so you should be good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado