Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 01:41 PM

5 posts, read 17,295 times

Advertisements

Presently I live in Durango, CO where real estate prices are outrageous and getting moreso by the second. So - I am considering relocating somewhere in the SW and am considering Clovis, NM, Pueblo and Canon City, CO, and Tucson, AZ. Looking not only for affordable real estate but a small to medium sized town with safe neighborhoods, a choral society, a symphony would be nice, and a college. Any thoughts??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2006, 01:01 PM

2 posts, read 18,265 times
Hi, I live in Vail, Arizona (small town outside of Tucson). Tucson home prices are all over the place and we are currently in a buyer's market. Rentals are very affordable. We have the University of Arizona in the middle of town and all life flows from there. If you are looking for a kind of upper middle class suburb, try Oro Valley, NW of Tucson. But, just a warning, it's expensive. Vail is still small, growing and has excellent schools. Tucson has a theatre (Lion King is coming in August, people were lined up for tickets for it earlier this month). We do have a symphony. If your looking for the more happening stuff, start near the UofA and work your way from there. But, DON'T look anywhere in south Tucson, lots of crime there.

Old 02-28-2006, 02:21 PM

1 posts, read 4,805 times
Default outrageous prices

Hey there...have you tried looking on URL REMOVED (no advertising) ........you can find alot there. I am moving to Loveland from California. Prices everywhere are cheaper than California. But that web site will give you insight to prices in Colorado.

Last edited by Yac; 03-01-2006 at 03:51 AM..

Old 03-01-2006, 08:28 AM

1 posts, read 9,937 times
Hello,

I am thinking of moving from southern California to Colorado Springs after hearing a lot of good things about it. What is the drive like to Denver from there and does Colorado Springs have any culture?

Old 03-01-2006, 05:55 PM

892 posts, read 2,371,958 times
Default relocating to Colorado

I am looking to move to Loveland or Fort Collins, Co from southern California. It has been ten years since I have been there. I am looking for a nice middleclass area, maybe horse property. The less snow the better. Can anyone tell me where to stay away from? Where are the ghettos in Colorado?

Old 03-05-2006, 02:40 PM

746 posts, read 1,324,897 times
I live in Central California, 14 miles from the ocean, and visited Loveland in September.

It impressed me as having lots of traffic, and neighborhoods of small 2 story houses on small lots, all crammed together at high prices. The Colorado freeways were nuts. I was considering Colorado as an option to move and live there, but that trip convinced me otherwise.

I had decided on moving to Boise but took some time to look into things, particularly the winters, which in the northwest tend to be comparatively more overcast.

Now I am considering to build a home in the country instead of buying one in a city, so the options are open again and Colorado is again a possibility. So I have similar questions to the ones already asked, i.e. where to find a nice locale, without all the congestion and high prices.

Old 03-19-2006, 06:48 PM

4 posts, read 78,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kareynolds
Presently I live in Durango, CO where real estate prices are outrageous and getting moreso by the second. So - I am considering relocating somewhere in the SW and am considering Clovis, NM, Pueblo and Canon City, CO, and Tucson, AZ. Looking not only for affordable real estate but a small to medium sized town with safe neighborhoods, a choral society, a symphony would be nice, and a college. Any thoughts??
Thats probably NOT Clovis NM. Sorry

Old 03-21-2006, 03:45 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,789,944 times
Catalina (14 miles NW of Tucson) is safe and real estate is relatively cheaper than Tucson.

Real estate in Tucson is thru the roof.

Catalina is just past Oro Valley on Oracle Road. Stay out of southern Tucson, that's where the crime and gangs are.

Old 03-28-2006, 08:21 AM

56 posts, read 383,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlvs2run
I live in Central California, 14 miles from the ocean, and visited Loveland in September.

It impressed me as having lots of traffic, and neighborhoods of small 2 story houses on small lots, all crammed together at high prices. The Colorado freeways were nuts. I was considering Colorado as an option to move and live there, but that trip convinced me otherwise.

I had decided on moving to Boise but took some time to look into things, particularly the winters, which in the northwest tend to be comparatively more overcast.

Now I am considering to build a home in the country instead of buying one in a city, so the options are open again and Colorado is again a possibility. So I have similar questions to the ones already asked, i.e. where to find a nice locale, without all the congestion and high prices.
Southwest Colorado is a wonderful place to live, but it is remote (which, for some people, is what makes it wonderful). Durango is expensive, but Montezuma County (about 30 miles west of Durango) is very inexpensive, particularly compared to California.

What you DON'T have in Montezuma County is easy access to museums, symphony, ballet, major airports, and first-class hospitals. All these are anywhere from 45 minutes to 4 hours away. It also has very little in the way of employment, so unless you are self-employed, retired, or can telecommute, it can be difficult.

But if you like cheap land, the great outdoors, wildlife, spectacularly scenic views, lots of public land (from desert to mountains), and the richest archaelogical sites in the U.S., all with a very low cost of living, Montezuma County is tops.

Old 04-01-2006, 07:43 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,342,004 times
With good traffic you can get from the springs to the edge of Denver in about 30 minutes. It will take you 45+ to get to downtown. If you are going to areas like Park Meadows or DTC/Inverness then 30 minutes is possible. Also if you are living in the southern part of the Springs or not close to the highway then you will have to add more time to your ride. Colorado Springs is very nice (clean, safe, nice parks, schools, etc.) but there is not much culture there. Denver is much larger and can support its muesums, theaters, music venues, etc. much better and has many more and much better ones. But again the drive isn't too bad for day trips up there, but probably not something you would want to do daily. If you are planning on commuting to Denver your times will increase significanly. Even though TREX in Denver has helped the problem, traffic anywhere on I-25 (in the Springs, between the Springs and Denver or in Denver) can be terrible, especially during rush hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado