Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 09:05 PM

11 posts, read 22,336 times

Advertisements

i am as well a freshman in college looking to continue school in coloardo. i am from tennesse attending the university of tennesee for now. i have debated utah and colorado schools for a while now due to the outdoor oppurtunities and non southern culture. if i were to be in colorado i have narrowed my search down to mostly csu ft collins, cu boulder (but i prob cant afford it), unc, and colorado school of mines. i snowboard and mtn bike. i like to hike and camp as well. however, i am still looking to obatin a social aspect of college to all while getting a good education. i am mostly interested in sciences. particularly physics and astronomy types. I could use some detailed info about the cities that would benefit me the most if anybody is willing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 10:48 PM

718 posts, read 1,985,094 times
Mines and CU Boulder will be closer to the snowboarding than will CSU or UNC. UNC is the farthest from mountain biking. I believe all of them will provide a good education, but Mines is pretty well known for its engineering. CSU has a good engineering program, as well. Cost to attend Mines may be more than CU. Cost of living in Boulder will be highest, and cost of living in Greeley will be least.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:05 PM

ok ok. yea i figured cu and mines would be. the only thing about those two schools well cu in particular bc i didnt yet know this about mines, but they are probably out of my range in that i will be a non-resident student. im really liking csu the most. do you know anything about setting up residency and how long it takes?

Old 10-20-2009, 10:28 PM

718 posts, read 1,985,094 times
CSU and UNC say you have to live here 12 consecutive months prior to the first day of classes. Likely the same at MInes and CU.

More details here:
Student Financial Services - Colorado State University
http://www.unco.edu/regrec/Tuition%2...establish.html

Old 10-21-2009, 11:01 PM

i noticed you were a real esate agent. how is the housing there? my friend and i plan to rent a house or apt prior to enrolling. were trying to spend less than 3-5 hundred dollars a person but still get in a good area. is this possible?

Old 10-21-2009, 11:04 PM

Default colorado for college

i am a freshman in college looking to continue school in coloardo. i am from tennesse attending the university of tennesee for now. i have debated utah and colorado schools for a while now due to the outdoor oppurtunities and non southern culture. if i were to be in colorado i have narrowed my search down to mostly csu ft collins, cu boulder (but i prob cant afford it), unc, and colorado school of mines. i snowboard and mtn bike. i like to hike and camp as well. however, i am still looking to obatin a social aspect of college to all while getting a good education. i am mostly interested in sciences. particularly physics and astronomy types. I could use some detailed info about the cities that would benefit me the most if anybody is willing.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:32 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
Any of those colleges would fit the bill. School of Mines will give you the toughest and best education for science and engineering, although UC Boulder has really good programs too. Anywhere on the front range there will have you an hour or two drive to hiking, biking, etc. I would think that Denver and Boulder would be the best for a young person's social life.

If you're looking for a change to get away from the southern culture, you'll find colorado to be a pleasant change. Colorado is a mixing bowl of people from all over, so it doesn't have it's own strongly defined culture. It's more of a place where everyone just does their own thing.

If you like snowboarding, of course, where can you go wrong?

Old 10-22-2009, 08:50 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Don't assume you can't afford CU-Boulder. I haven't looked at the price diff between the three you mentioned, but all are state universities, though with different boards of regents, etc. Do some research.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:16 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
First, you need to decide what is more important to you--socializing, biking, snowboarding, etc., or getting a first-rate education. If I were paying Colorado's high (and probably soon to be higher) out-of-state tuition rates, I would be working toward the latter. For engineering, Colorado School of Mines has by far the best reputation. For getting a job after graduation, it is the "E" ticket. However, most Mines students will tell that they don't have a rousing social and recreation life--they just don't have time. CU and CSU are OK schools, and a self-disciplined student can get a good education at either one--but both, CU especially, have wide reputations as "party" schools that do not necessarily impress prospective employers. A couple of other schools in the region you might consider are the New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology and the South Dakota School of Mines and Technology--both pretty good schools near some nice country.

Old 10-22-2009, 03:41 PM

90 posts, read 262,441 times
Why not take a year off, establish residency, and then choose your school? OR stay in your state and take advantage of the cheaper education and travel to diff snow and biking places in the off time. If you do the math, the cost difference is thousands that you can have fun with! The resorts do hire college students during breaks and they may even have suggestions of inexpensive places to stay too. The time to apply for those jobs may be now tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado