Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 04:58 PM

124 posts, read 174,032 times

Advertisements

I grew up west of Boston and I can tell you people out in the west, including yes Cali, are not aggressive like they are in the east and THANK GOD for this quality because life in general more pleasant, if not as entertaining. But this goes hand in hand with passive aggressiveness and people not calling it like it is, which is irritating to us east coasters.

Traffic is HORRENDOUS, period. Don't listen to people saying it is not as bad as the East -- it is if you work in DT Denver and live in Boulder County. Drivers are not as bad as in Boston (are they anywhere??) but they can be aggressive and a little scary when they are in those raised hillbilly trucks (this is my opinion after living in socal where drivers are lower key) although who knows maybe it is east coast transplants?! And it is only getting worse with so many people moving here from all corners of the country. We thought it would be a lot cheaper compared to San diego, and it is to a degree, but not nearly as much as thought, and prices continue to rise and not in line with salaries either, from what I hear.

There is a serious lack of culture/arts/history here in my opinion. Denver has a very bland Midwestern feel to it, and it is very white, very Amer-ruk-kin, bordering on hickish in parts, and outside of the Boulder bubble extremely conservative and closed.

Also, unless you do live in the mountains -- make no mistake Denver and much of the area outside of the foothills are the plains, not mountains like everyone says: brown, flat, and hellishly windy.

Another thing it is very dry, there is no water here, not like the east, where you have not only the ocean but lakes, ponds, rivers, and streams absolutely everywhere. There are no forests, no trees (again, I am not talking about the mountains), no real greenery.

The winters are a cinch compared to the NE, although they do not really plow or ever use salt so driving can be much worse than the East. All in all, I don't get all the gushing Colorado love. Yea, the mountains are pretty and all but if you are not a hard core outdoorsy person, scaling glacial mountains, wrestling bears, and wearing all your fancy gear round town, and you love water more than dust then this might not be the place for you. I hope I can quell my nomadic tendencies and enjoy ourselves here for a year or two but in time we are going back to one coast or the other. The Midwest, not for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 09:20 AM

346 posts, read 482,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverphonics View Post
I grew up west of Boston and I can tell you people out in the west, including yes Cali, are not aggressive like they are in the east and THANK GOD for this quality because life in general more pleasant, if not as entertaining. But this goes hand in hand with passive aggressiveness and people not calling it like it is, which is irritating to us east coasters.

Traffic is HORRENDOUS, period. Don't listen to people saying it is not as bad as the East -- it is if you work in DT Denver and live in Boulder County. Drivers are not as bad as in Boston (are they anywhere??) but they can be aggressive and a little scary when they are in those raised hillbilly trucks (this is my opinion after living in socal where drivers are lower key) although who knows maybe it is east coast transplants?! And it is only getting worse with so many people moving here from all corners of the country. We thought it would be a lot cheaper compared to San diego, and it is to a degree, but not nearly as much as thought, and prices continue to rise and not in line with salaries either, from what I hear.

There is a serious lack of culture/arts/history here in my opinion. Denver has a very bland Midwestern feel to it, and it is very white, very Amer-ruk-kin, bordering on hickish in parts, and outside of the Boulder bubble extremely conservative and closed.

Also, unless you do live in the mountains -- make no mistake Denver and much of the area outside of the foothills are the plains, not mountains like everyone says: brown, flat, and hellishly windy.

Another thing it is very dry, there is no water here, not like the east, where you have not only the ocean but lakes, ponds, rivers, and streams absolutely everywhere. There are no forests, no trees (again, I am not talking about the mountains), no real greenery.

The winters are a cinch compared to the NE, although they do not really plow or ever use salt so driving can be much worse than the East. All in all, I don't get all the gushing Colorado love. Yea, the mountains are pretty and all but if you are not a hard core outdoorsy person, scaling glacial mountains, wrestling bears, and wearing all your fancy gear round town, and you love water more than dust then this might not be the place for you. I hope I can quell my nomadic tendencies and enjoy ourselves here for a year or two but in time we are going back to one coast or the other. The Midwest, not for us.

PLEASE, keep spreading the word!

Old 03-01-2016, 10:21 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,557,632 times
Quote:
While I don't dispute much of what you wrote, the above makes me wonder if you have ever been to the actual city of Denver. Denver is the opposite of conservative. We haven't had a Republican even try to run for mayor as long as I can remember.

As to the lack of culture, again I question whether or not you've been to the actual city. We have the largest museum between Chicago and Los Angles, the best art museum in the region, and one of the largest performing arts complexes in the country.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 03-01-2016 at 10:32 AM..

Old 03-01-2016, 10:34 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,001,704 times
Hooverphonics summed it up good. Thank you sir. The "conservative" part probably refers to the gun-loving, hunting, and sort of simple-living folks that are around here (usually away from the cities).

Old 03-01-2016, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig2 View Post
Hooverphonics summed it up good. Thank you sir. The "conservative" part probably refers to the gun-loving, hunting, and sort of simple-living folks that are around here (usually away from the cities).
Those folks are definitely around, but to say that Boulder is the only non conservative spot in Colorado is ill informed at best.

Old 03-01-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Those folks are definitely around, but to say that Boulder is the only non conservative spot in Colorado is ill informed at best.
He only said "outside the Boulder bubble" has those folks, which sounds like he is only talking about people right around Boulder. No statements that Boulder is the only non-conservative spot. He sounds very informed about the area, based on his extensive details, which also match what I've seen. I'll leave it at that and do something more important now

Old 03-01-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
He only said "outside the Boulder bubble" has those folks, which sounds like he is only talking about people right around Boulder. No statements that Boulder is the only non-conservative spot. He sounds very informed about the area, based on his extensive details, which also match what I've seen. I'll leave it at that and do something more important now
Hmmm I read it to say that he sees Colorado as a very conservative place once you leave Boulder. Will let him clarify.

Old 03-01-2016, 11:24 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,779,504 times
Quote:
I grew up west of Boston and I can tell you people out in the west, including yes Cali, are not aggressive like they are in the east
People in the east are verbally aggressive, not physically aggressive. Out west, depending on where you're at, people are more physically aggressive, which can be a problem for the east coaster who is accustomed to yelling at people, but out here that can be interpreted as a physical challenge.

Old 03-01-2016, 11:51 AM

346 posts, read 482,353 times
Quote:

And always will be. Get used to it.

Old 03-01-2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnJam View Post
And always will be. Get used to it.
LOL What's that supposed to mean? I have no problem with it; nothing to get used to. Jeez, go drink a beer or something
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado