Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 05:58 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times

Advertisements

Check Craigslist for rentals. There's tons of them under $1,000 a month. Do what I'm doing, research, visit, then rent. Take a year to learn the area. Travel and talk to locals. At your age do whatever you want to do. Don't let anything stop you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 12:54 AM

14 posts, read 31,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
What about income? Rent one way or the other doesn't matter if you have no income. What are the OP's plans for living besides finding a place he/she likes? There are plenty of places to like, especially compared to the look and climate of south Texas.
If not working, but living off savings to look around, I think we'd need to know how the person hopes to spend time before suggesting a place.
Also, the winter- some places are less inviting in the winter, some more, depending on money and activity. I think someone from the lowlands might underestimate how the altitude can affect where you can go, when, and what you can do.
Still, I'd sure rather try to find a way to live in the Mountain West than Texas, but that's me...
I'd be living of meager savings (about 2 grand) until I could find a job -if that took more than a month or two I might be in a bad situation! I have a year and a half hotel experience, so I was hoping that would help me land a hotel job somewhere.

And I guess I like to spend my time the same way most people my age do: parties, concerts, theme parks, sitting at home hanging out with neighbors...... just having fun.

But I am capable of living on a tight budget, I'm just not sure all the penny pinching in the world would make Colorado possible for me. I'm afraid I'd end up getting myself in a rut -a long ways from home!

Old 11-04-2009, 08:20 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipp View Post
I'd be living of meager savings (about 2 grand) until I could find a job -if that took more than a month or two I might be in a bad situation! I have a year and a half hotel experience, so I was hoping that would help me land a hotel job somewhere.
I would think it's possible to at least find a "survival mode" kind of job, such as working at a restaurant. I would be suprised if you didn't land something like that within a couple weeks.

Living with roommates - however unappealing the idea is - would make your savings last longer.

Do you have family or something to fall back on if it doesn't work out?

Old 11-04-2009, 10:02 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
Quote:

And I guess I like to spend my time the same way most people my age do: parties, concerts, theme parks, sitting at home hanging out with neighbors...... just having fun.

But I am capable of living on a tight budget, I'm just not sure all the penny pinching in the world would make Colorado possible for me. I'm afraid I'd end up getting myself in a rut -a long ways from home!
You could always look into the ski resorts like Vail or Summit County. Usually plenty of hotel jobs on offer, even in these trying times, especially if you present yourself well.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Do you have family or something to fall back on if it doesn't work out?
No, I'd just be jumping out there on my own....

Old 11-04-2009, 08:12 PM

188 posts, read 933,484 times
Quote:
Thanks for your input guys... I still think Colorado would be nice, but I've been looking into rent and the cheapest apartments i've seen are around $1000/month! yikes! Not exactly in my ball park.

I guess I'll look elsewhere...
None of the apartments I looked at or lived in were that much in Colorado Springs. You can find plenty in the $600-850 range unless you are really picky.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetjanetbobanet View Post
None of the apartments I looked at or lived in were that much in Colorado Springs. You can find plenty in the $600-850 range unless you are really picky.
I didn't look into Colorado Springs... I was really hoping for a smaller town

Old 11-05-2009, 08:58 AM

1,742 posts, read 3,115,680 times
Look at Salida, Monarch Mountain is having a job fair. Free transport from town to the hill.
https://skimonarch.com/main/index.php/generalinfo/employment (broken link)
RP

Old 11-05-2009, 11:13 AM

3 posts, read 2,616 times
I am trying to find housing in colorado. I qualify for a 30,000 bank loan or a 22000 usda loan. I wanted so much to move to canon city area, because the weather is more temperate and I have Fibromyalgia which makes canon the perfect place to live. If I get a bank loan, the costs will be much higher for the loan than with usda. There won't be much left to turn on the utilities and survive until my son finds a job. Anybody know of a way to work this out? We love the mountains, don't want to live in the desert, but may not have any choice. Anybody have any ideas that might get us to the mountains a little easier?

Old 11-05-2009, 01:30 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
Take a look at the town of Colbran in western colorado. It's not expensive because it's off the beaten path. It's not a Vail or a Durango, it's just a working class community and it's an absolutely beautiful mountain setting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado