Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 03:44 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettsvchs View Post
This is why the natives dont like transplants......

Rent is now 580$ more expensive than it was 3 1/2 years ago. I am in the same apartment, unit, with no changes whatsoever. Blame your landlord.

Natives typically drive the speed limit. The gap i leave between my car and yours is for safety. So you dont throw rocks and debris at my paint. Not for you to ram you vehicle in there and claim ME FIRST! Weaving traffic, cutting people off is something you see from larger states where you have to assert yourself to survive. How do we know if a driver is a native, transplant, or otherwise?

Transplants move here from more burdened areas and dont realize what they are doing to affect people here. They think, " oh this is so much better than sitting in traffic in LA on the 405," or "wow i sure can afford a home out here!" Granted the move is understandably justified on your part, to escape whatever it is that was bothering you about your "home" states. It comes back to the obvious. All of the reasons you have moved away from are now becoming an issue for Colorado natives. Everybody comes here with a negative outlook on where they came from and think, "stop complaining, it inst so bad! Its way worse in NY,TX,CA...etc Thats because you dont know what its like to not live here with hundreds of thousands of people all moving here withing several years. you won't hear me complain

Cost of rent has almost doubled in 5 years is forcing natives out you say this like it's a bad thing
The commute to work was 20 minutes, Now it is an hour drive faster, leave earlier
Many are taking jobs, not creating them just ones Coloradans won't do
You bring your politics, rudeness and entitlement from Proven failing states and apply the same concepts here and wonder why people arent open to your ideas, or force them on others.huh?

So from a native prospective, Besides being able to possibly meet more people due to population increase, the influx of out of towners has been nothing but negative from my opinion.

What i want is for a Transplant to come up with FACTUAL evidence to prove in what ways have you guys benefited Colorado by moving here. 1) thousands of anecdotal posts on this forum, 2) taxes {you're welcome}, 3) economic activity and output, 4) I'm literally about to create dozens of jobs
My responses in bold.

I don't have to benefit Colorado by having moved here. I moved here to benefit myself. The last thing I'd want to do is benefit the community of natives, as many of you don't want me here anyway, simply because I was born/raised somewhere else. In no other state in the union have I heard such nativist drivel.

So I'ma get richer, so I can spend less time here, and go somewhere I appreciate more. In the meantime, if y'all don't want me here, that's your problem.

Old 08-09-2016, 04:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
OK, this thread drove me to search for my old thread. Here it is: //www.city-data.com/forum/color...tml#post547945
Note this was from almost ten years ago. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Here is the OP:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
With apologies to Jonathan Swift; if you don't know who he is, check it out before reading this.

With the growth issue rearing its ugly head on this forum, I am submitting my own "modest proposal".

As of a predetermined date, all non-native Coloradans must leave the state. There will be no exceptions! If you give a non-native an inch, he/she will take a mile.

All non-native parents of minor children must leave. Orphanages will be established to care for the native children who are left behind. Parents will have the option of taking their children along, if the receiving state will accept them. This should not be a problem in some cities where population is declining and with it, school population. Pittsburgh comes to mind as one example.

Non-native married couples may go to either partner's native state, if it will accept both of them. Otherwise, they must separate and go to their individual states. A sort of "leper colony" will be established in Dinosaur, CO to house those who cannot find a state that will accept them. No marriage or procreation will be allowed at the penal colony!

All non-native educators must leave, as must all out of state students at all the colleges and universities. Never mind that out of state students at state colleges pay more than the cost of their education to subsidize the in-state students. Any increase in tuition will be more than welcome by the natives.

All non-native members of the Avalanche, Broncos, Nuggets, Rockies, Rapids, Mammoth, and Crush teams must leave, as must any non-native coaches.
No native may bring an elderly non-native parent here to care for him/her in the final years, period! Health care providers will not be allowed an exception. Get out!

Come on, natives! We are all non-natives deep down. If it was OK for a young couple to come here in 1945 to start and raise a family, why wasn't it OK for my DH and I to do so in 1980, at the height of "native" hysteria? Why isn't it OK today? We have come, sometimes for a lifetime, sometimes for a short while. While here, we have paid taxes, volunteered in the schools, and dare I say it: helped make Colorado a better place!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 08:25 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,390,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
In no other state in the union have I heard such nativist drivel.
Texas. Texas was nativist long before Colorado. They were putting the flag and lone star on apparel and products as far back as the Mexican-American War. Colorado only started doing this around 40 years ago.

Old 08-09-2016, 10:16 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
I can't even imagine the small mindedness that must be required to consider an accident of birth on a certain piece of dirt, to be something significant!

In essence, that small mind is saying...my dirt is better than your dirt.

Old 08-10-2016, 05:07 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,747,986 times
You know it is funny to me, while an occasional native speaks out about all the people moving here, in my experience most natives really do not care, they are used to it. The people who seem to have the biggest problem with the growth are the people that moved here 10-30 years ago and are pissed that now people have found their so called hidden gem.

You know the one thing that actually bugs me as a native, it is not the growth, it is this culture of being attacked if you say anything negative about the state or front range. It has become this culture of you must agree that everything is perfect or you are the problem. Truth is everywhere has their issues, including Colorado, and the constant attacks on people who want to discuss those problems need to stop.

Old 08-10-2016, 06:26 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Texas. Texas was nativist long before Colorado. They were putting the flag and lone star on apparel and products as far back as the Mexican-American War. Colorado only started doing this around 40 years ago.
I haven't been to Texas in a long time, and have about as much interest in living there as I do Venezuela. My uninformed takeaway from Texas is that they've taken this extreme sense of pride and used it as a marketing tool for themselves (to be shared, only by themselves) to take away from the fact that there really isn't much to love about Texas, other than the fact that it's Texas. In Colorado, we actually have tangible things we can love, and they are all talked about like they are the last pieces of pie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
I can't even imagine the small mindedness that must be required to consider an accident of birth on a certain piece of dirt, to be something significant!

In essence, that small mind is saying...my dirt is better than your dirt.
Nanny-nanny poo-poo! I was born on a piece of dirt near the beach and you weren't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
You know the one thing that actually bugs me as a native, it is not the growth, it is this culture of being attacked if you say anything negative about the state or front range. It has become this culture of you must agree that everything is perfect or you are the problem. Truth is everywhere has their issues, including Colorado, and the constant attacks on people who want to discuss those problems need to stop.
I completely agree; I also addressed this in a thread back in January. I think it's just easier for some to use transplants as a scapegoat for everything (whether deserved or not).

Old 08-10-2016, 07:27 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Maybe. I have some cousins who moved there about the time we moved here. They complained a lot about the "nativity" stuff there. One said he once saw a bumper sticker that said "If you're not from Texas, you're not S***". We had a good laugh about what that meant if you were from Texas.

Old 08-12-2016, 07:19 PM

4 posts, read 6,261 times
I moved here for nursing school & to work as an ER RN. The tuition is cheaper but only in smaller towns. I also moved here to improve my health. The clean air and high altitude are great for my lungs & heart.

I live in a small rural mountain town & I drive to school. It's about an hour each way, 40 miles each way. If I had to drive in Denver traffic, it would take 1.5 hours or more to go 25 miles.

I would rather live & work in a small town than a big city.

I plan to stay in Colorado. It's a peaceful state.

As far as drivers go, as in every state, you have good & bad ones. Show me a large city that doesn't have traffic problems & I'll call BS.

Don't forget, not everyone is used to mountain driving with inclines & declines. Some engines that aren't used to high altitude driving tend to go slower.

I'm not sure what the housing market is like. I imagine if the cannabis industry goes bust, a lot of people will end up moving out of state.

It appears there is a TON of land property to buy. The only catch is it is an hour or two from a major city (Denver, Boulder, CO Springs, Pueblo & Grand Junction). The fact that it is a lifestyle to maintain & build upon the land is a turnoff to many.

Everyone should be able to enjoy this state, native or not.

Old 08-12-2016, 08:57 PM

5,357 posts, read 5,134,067 times
Natives can whine and moan all they want, but at the end of the day, they are the ones getting the big fat paycheck that comes from home equity increases from all the new comers, so I don't care about their whining since they really don't have much to complain about with that benefit in mind.

Of course, the front range has changed, but everywhere changes. If you want the smaller version of Denver/CO Springs back, move to a smaller mountain west city.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:27 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,227,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medicineman81 View Post
r.

I'm not sure what the housing market is like. I imagine if the cannabis industry goes bust, a lot of people will end up moving out of state.
By bust, do you mean move back home?

I, like you, am unsure of the housing market, but it's pretty simple to think that is the laws regarding cannabis were to change nationwide, then things would change/level out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado