Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 11:40 AM

21 posts, read 44,072 times

Advertisements

Cant thank you guys enough for answering so many questions I myself had about Chaffee county and Salida. Thinking of moving there myself.....heard there werent many tornadoes as Arkansas..hope thats right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 01:27 PM

486 posts, read 1,497,126 times
Tornadoes? Gosh no!

Snow storms during the winter months and occasional flooding in the summer months due to heavy rains, but tornadoes are highly unlikely. Possible, but unlikely.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:51 AM

Thats what Im looking for, way too many tornadoes here in Arkansas and getting worse each year. I love the cold and snow, now if I can sell my home we will get out of here before next spring. Thanks Sesamekid.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:21 AM

486 posts, read 1,497,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoharts View Post
Thats what Im looking for, way too many tornadoes here in Arkansas and getting worse each year. I love the cold and snow, now if I can sell my home we will get out of here before next spring. Thanks Sesamekid.
Of course, now that I wrote that, I am going to totally jinx BV! (look at what happened yesterday is Massachusettes )

Old 06-04-2011, 12:35 PM

46 posts, read 118,362 times
We took a trip to the sand dunes a few weeks back. The park ranger suggested a scenic drive back to Co Springs that took us by Salida. What a wonderful surprise. They have the most charming downtown area right by the river. I can't wait to make a weekend trip back and check out the hot springs!

Old 06-10-2011, 09:58 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
I just checked Chaffee County and in the past 61 years, the county has only had one tornado reported, a baby F0. That sounds really good to me.

Old 06-11-2011, 07:59 PM

That sounds good to me about the lack of tornadoes. At least with the snow and cold you pretty much know when its coming. These surprise hits we have been getting is something I just cant live with any longer.

Cant wait to see the downtown Salida for myself. Been hearing all about some fires though west of Trinidad. Anyone getting smoke from those over in Salida area?

Old 08-02-2011, 10:11 AM

2 posts, read 14,851 times
I would appreciate someone posting how bad the mosquitoes are in the BV and Salida area.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:22 AM

462 posts, read 1,173,587 times
I sleep with my windows open and I have no screens. Last year, I got two bites all summer. This year, I have none so far. I keep my horse up the road and there's a pond there and that draws both flies and mosquitoes. I also have a friend that lives by cottonwood creek and he has a problem in the evenings with mosquitoes. Generally, it's very dry country and the only time you notice them is when you are near water.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:31 AM

462 posts, read 1,173,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoharts View Post
That sounds good to me about the lack of tornadoes. At least with the snow and cold you pretty much know when its coming. These surprise hits we have been getting is something I just cant live with any longer.

Cant wait to see the downtown Salida for myself. Been hearing all about some fires though west of Trinidad. Anyone getting smoke from those over in Salida area?
Last spring I came home and all my dogs where out on the county road. The wind had blown my door off the hinges. It's true, we don't get tornadoes but the wind, especially in the spring and fall, can be brutal. And unlike a tornado, it can last for days at a time, so bad that you don't want to leave your house. I'm 6'0 and 175lbs and I've been blown off my feet twice. A lot depends on the location of your house. I'm "on the mesa" as they say and I've noticed a huge difference in wind speed at my place and 2 miles away in town.

No smoke from Trini but earlier in the summer we had smoke from New Mexico and Az fires. We generally get it when the fires are west of us-even as far away as Cali.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado