Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 10:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,199 times

Advertisements

I live in a apartment and I want to break the lease because I feel very unsafe since I have lived at this place a murder has taken place my car was broken into I know of neighbors selling drugs and I did go to the landlord and they are not going to budge on letting me out of the lease I really need help here. Please do I have any way out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 02:22 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
Under Colorado law, the landlord cannot accept payment for rental space for two people at a time.

If you bring them a new tenant, and they accept that tenant who pays the rent, then any remaining rent paid by you belongs to you.

Security deposit, is where the landlord by law must within 30 days from your vacating the unit either return your deposit, or give you a list of charges as allowed in the security deposit, and return any remaining to you. If the charges for repairs etc., exceed the deposit then you are liable for the additional charges. If the landlord fails to give you notice of why they are holding money within 30 days, they must return the entire amount to you.

This is what any knowledgeable real estate lawyer would tell you. I am not offering this as legal advice, but what learned at University of Colorado classes, and from attorneys as I spent many years as a Colorado Commercial Real Estate Broker, and was president of a large county wide rental owners and managers association for 3 years with an annual education day where this is what the attorneys that spoke taught us. I never lost when we went to court acting as my own lawyer as we followed the law exactly. Our policy was when a tenant left the property we did a walk through inspection with the departing tenant to make sure of condition and if the property was in acceptable condition we handed them a check for their deposit at that time. We found that the tenants tried to get the unit ready for the inspection, knowing they were getting the check immediately. This refund policy was right in our leases.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:17 AM

1 posts, read 836 times
What happens if landlord refuses to give u document stating why he isn't giving u security deposit due within the 60 day clause and he was the one that broke lease?

Old 01-24-2015, 08:36 AM

11,827 posts, read 34,436,540 times
Call the landlord tenant hotline in your county. I would guess a small claims lawsuit is in your future.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 717 times
I found out my roommate is doing drugs and dating a drug dealer...hard drugs not the Colorado grass. I moved my stuff out this weekend because I simply don't feel safe around that type of environment...but the woman I lease from is still wanting my rent. The kicker is that she's also the mom of my drug addicted roommate. Someone please tell me if I have grounds to break my lease or if they can sue me. I unfortunately don't have a copy of my lease.

Old 05-02-2015, 03:32 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curiosity11 View Post
I found out my roommate is doing drugs and dating a drug dealer...hard drugs not the Colorado grass. I moved my stuff out this weekend because I simply don't feel safe around that type of environment...but the woman I lease from is still wanting my rent. The kicker is that she's also the mom of my drug addicted roommate. Someone please tell me if I have grounds to break my lease or if they can sue me. I unfortunately don't have a copy of my lease.
Who's name is the lease in? And if it's in your name, why would you sign a lease with your roommate's mother anyway? Is it in her house?

Old 04-04-2016, 01:26 PM

1 posts, read 480 times
How could I break a Lease in a townhome? With the Landlord that keeps stating I'm in violation of lease and didn't give notice to enter the garage for maintenance on the fence the neighbors called in. Not helping with different neighbors that own smoke weed and cigarettes, my unit does not air conditioning and their smoke comes in through open windows violation of HOA we have complained multiple times and the landlord makes comments like enjoy the free high, or there is nothing we can do about it. Stating that HOA has sent emails about our townhome but refuses to show the emails and then next conversation stat they haven't received the email yet. Please help with advice. Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado