Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2009, 03:48 PM

1 posts, read 10,409 times

Advertisements

Hi. My husband will be taking a job at Peterson Air Force Base in Colorado Springs and I will be taking one in the very south end of Denver, Centennial to be exact. I know the situation is less than ideal, but in my field there are no jobs in the Springs. We are looking to buy a home somewhere in between, close to the interstate. It looks like our best choice is Monument, as it is about halfway, and 30 miles or so from each of our workplaces. I am a little concerned about the commute, especially in the winter. Is there any way to avoid monument hill on I25 if we live in Monument? I am considering the FREX bus, but have heard mixed reviews. A little reassurance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 04:43 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,181,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by postratton View Post
Is there any way to avoid monument hill on I25 if we live in Monument?
Not really, assuming you mean northbound. You could take 105 in a pinch, but if the freeway is bogged down then 105 will likely be as bad or worse. If you're ON the divide, that is in Woodmoor or Palmer Lake, you will have the option of bypassing the top of the pass in either direction in the case of a total closure.

The nightmare stories you hear about Monument Hill are a little exaggerated anyways, IMO. I've lived here in PL for well over a year, and visited regularly for 2 years before that, and I have yet to see the pass really bogged down, much less closed. On the other hand, I can't count the number of times I've been stuck in near stand-still traffic between downtown Springs and Monument. So, pick your poison I guess... occasional unforeseen catastrophes on the hill or predictable daily gridlock in town.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:08 PM

1,904 posts, read 3,987,476 times
I commuted to the northern CO Springs area from Castle Rock for 2 years and I never had any major problems with Monument Hill. I heard all the horror stories but never experienced them.

Just my $.02.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:15 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,467,213 times
But did you drive is the winter of 2006? Or spring of 2003? I don't think it's a huge deal, but be prepared for those days, a couple to a few times a year, when you have to stay in!

Old 11-21-2009, 09:02 AM

1,225 posts, read 4,920,709 times
I had a friend that lived in Castle Rock and worked at the Academy. In 5 years he missed no more than 5 days. Some of those were due to 'lack of interest'. I think it all depends on your tolerance of adverse conditions and your employer's attitude toward you putting your life at risk. The interstate rarely is shut down and when it does there's nothing you can do anyway. If it looks too awful to drive then I bundle up and clear the driveway, even though I can't actually drive anywhere
Monument would be a good choice for the commutes to both areas. We've got tons of neighbors that work at Peterson or Schreiver and many that commute to Denver.

Old 11-21-2009, 04:51 PM

53 posts, read 201,148 times
I suggest looking in the Palmer Lake area, close to I-25 and shops, but is still a nice, small town.
//www.city-data.com/city/Palmer-Lake-Colorado.html

If you get snow tires, you will be able to drive anything that's open in almost any vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado