Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2009, 11:26 PM

3 posts, read 13,719 times

Advertisements

I am undecided whether to move myself and my kids to Colorado Springs or Loveland. Can someone tell me the pros and cons of both cities when raising a family. I am looking for a place where I can buy a home with a minimum of 2 acres and I work at home so employment is not an issue. I am moving from Texas and I know the cost of living difference for Colorado Springs but was unable to find it for Loveland--so can someone tell me the cost of living difference between Colorado Springs and Loveland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 05:06 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,998,422 times
I'm also curious about this, i'm starting to scope moving from Florida to Colorado. Originally I was thinking only about Colorado Springs, but i'm starting to do some basic job searching for IT jobs and i'm getting a little worried about most of them requiring government clearances, lots of military jobs, etc.. So i'm starting to think of a 2nd area i'd live in case. The Boulder area seems way too expensive, and i've been to Louisville before and wasn't really impressed.

Ft Collins and Loveland both seem kinda nice, and are close to RMNP which is a really nice place.

The weather for Loveland and CO Springs looked pretty similar as far as avg temp and snowfall, be curious to hear from people who lived there

Old 12-02-2009, 09:50 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,846,493 times
Although it was about a million years ago (1971) when I lived in the Springs, I was military then, I had the impression that their road building had not kept up. When we were looking to move from TX a couple of years ago we considered every front range city from the Springs to Ft. Collins.

We did not want to live in the Springs proper, but didn't want acreage either. Being grand central for so many evangelicals kind of weighed against us moving there.

We bought a place in Loveland on a golf course and we enjoy the "smaller town" vibe quite a bit. This area has its share of tech type jobs with HP and others being here, Ft. Collins and Boulder (an hour away). We never go to Denver except to visit friends, see a play or for the airport. We're an hour from Cheyenne, Estes Park and Denver so we're pretty centrally located to the things we like.

We have great hiking trails and I do some off road bicycling, good community theatre here, Ft. Collins, Longmont and Windsor. The only downside is that the restaurant that had become our "default" for lunch closed and became another "sports bar" place, bummer.

Check out both areas, maybe subscribe to local newspapers before deciding.

gg

Old 12-02-2009, 04:05 PM

718 posts, read 1,984,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormsinmoonlight View Post
I am undecided whether to move myself and my kids to Colorado Springs or Loveland. Can someone tell me the pros and cons of both cities when raising a family. I am looking for a place where I can buy a home with a minimum of 2 acres and I work at home so employment is not an issue. I am moving from Texas and I know the cost of living difference for Colorado Springs but was unable to find it for Loveland--so can someone tell me the cost of living difference between Colorado Springs and Loveland?
Based on listings available in both MLS systems, the very minimum you can get into something with at least 2 acres is less around the Springs. A modular on acreage on the plains near COS starts around $175k. A modular on acreage around Loveland starts closer to $240k, but is in the foothills. Beyond that, housing prices vary widely.

I would imagine groceries, gas and basic necessities will be comparably priced in both areas. If unable to find a cost of living calculator that shows Loveland, use Fort Collins, as both are neighbors and have similar costs. Both are considered one metro area in many models.

Colorado Springs is a larger city than Loveland, and the pros and cons of raising a family in either will follow the pros and cons of raising a family in similar sized cities in other locations.

Larger cities may have more crime, but will likely have more opportunity for culture and entertainment.

For school info, check here: School Accountability Report - School Search (http://reportcard.cde.state.co.us/reportcard/CommandHandler.jsp - broken link)

Good luck in your search

Old 09-23-2010, 09:01 AM

2 posts, read 6,783 times
I moved up here from Amarillo. Definitely Colorado Springs!! Only an hour from the mountains, maybe less. The Springs is a beautiful city! Lots of clean nicely kept parks, easy to navigate city. Much to do also: Cave of the Winds, Manitou Cave Dwellings, Garden of the Gods, Old Colorado City, great fishing, great hunting, hiking...etc. Want horses?? Great place to be.

While I will be moving on (am basically homeless) to Wisconsin, I am looking at land here to buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado