Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 08:55 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,982,648 times

Advertisements

The fact of the matter is, that the subdivisions should be plowed. Just like they are in Montana and other states.Your arguments that the city shouldn`t plow are not valid and puts others in danger. These roads are iced up and are not safe I don`t care how long you`ve been driving on ice for. Ice is NOT safe to drive on. Were my sil lives, they budget for this and they have less tax dollars to work with.Was talking with someone who has been here for 30 years and they said when things are good and revenues are up, the money goes back into their pockets instead of the city. Like for improvements ,etc. This is typical government anywhere.You would think with all of the people that have moved here that this city would be nicer looking by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 09:22 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,997,570 times
cl723 wrote:
The fact of the matter is, that the subdivisions should be plowed.
Your statement that subdivisions should be plowed, seems more like wishful thinking than a fact. How can you ever prove a statement like that? Certainly it would be a nice convenience, and it would undoubtedly improve safety, but it's just not economically feasible in a place like Grand Junction where the roads are rarely covered in snow for more than a few hours. The recent snowstorm is an abberration from the long term norm. Even so, the main roads were mostly snow free within 24 hrs. The subdivisions however are still ice/snowpacked 8 days later. An inconveniebnce perhaps, but not a big deal in my mind. IMO, it doesn't make sense to tie up alot of money on snowplows in a place where substantial snowfalls occur so infrequently. Most of the snowfalls I've witnessed in 4 winters have been less than 3 inches.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:42 AM

Cosmicwizard, LOL, seems like you are trying to argue. Your first two sentences don`t make since and are not vaid. I`ve been here a long time and the last few years we`ve had major snow compared to other years were the snow would melt fast and the roads were usually clear. Talking to the people who have been here for many years, they remember snow like we`ve had recently. So, I would gather to say that there are years were there is a lot and some years there is not as much.So your point is invalid to say that GJ rarely gets a lot of snow, cause it does. Less than 3 inches? You`re definitly wrong about that. I`ve NEVER experienced less than 3 inches here during a winter.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:09 AM

3 inches ( or less ) per snowfall...NOT 3 inches for the entire winter. I'm only commenting on the past 4 winters as I clearly stated in my post. I know nothing about winters prior to that. In comparison to cold, snowy palces I've lived in the past, Grand Junction winters are relatively mild and easy winters with very little snow.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:19 AM

Some of the winters have had at least 4 inches per snowfall and the roads would clear up but still have snow on the grassy areas,etc.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:27 AM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
Cosmicwizard, LOL, seems like you are trying to argue. Your first two sentences don`t make since and are not vaid. I`ve been here a long time and the last few years we`ve had major snow compared to other years were the snow would melt fast and the roads were usually clear. Talking to the people who have been here for many years, they remember snow like we`ve had recently. So, I would gather to say that there are years were there is a lot and some years there is not as much.So your point is invalid to say that GJ rarely gets a lot of snow, cause it does. Less than 3 inches? You`re definitly wrong about that. I`ve NEVER experienced less than 3 inches here during a winter.
I'm sure Cosmic meant three inches per storm. Several years ago (I believe in 2000 or 2001), we had a real good storm, resulting around 5, maybe 6 inches. But those storms are rare, I've been here to stay since '93, have spent stretches in the early 70's and early 80's here on short term construction assignments. I remember that particular storm, inversion hung over the valley for days. I drove up to Grand Mesa during that time and Mesa, Collbran, and Cedaredge would come in with temps warmer than where I'm at in Fruita.

The OLD old timers make good points here though, this area would get its fair share of winter several decades back. But as long as I've been here, to compare winters here to the front range cities-uh uh.

Which is one of the reasons I live here.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:15 AM

You said that you were commenting on the past 4 winters. Like I said, the last few years we`ve had more snow. I should know because I`ve had to drive on it. Last year we had ice and snow in our sub div through March of 2009.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:31 AM

cl723...Since I've been here for only 4 winters, I'm not arguing with you. Whatever the actual amount of snow we've had the past 4 winters, it seems like very light snowfall to me in comparison to the cold, snowy places I have lived in the past. Since you lived in GJ during winters with less snow, you know first hand that the past 4 winters have brought more snow. I have no intention of making either of us right or wrong. Our points of comparison are just different.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:40 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,471,711 times
I have a good friend who is a "high-up" in city government. He is taking tons of heat over the "lack of plowing" after last week's storms. His answer is simple--the city can either plow only what it is absolutely has to, or it can start cutting back on law enforcement, including laying off police officers. There isn't enough money to plow like crazy and maintain law enforcement levels in the current (and likely to stay this way) economy in this fellow's particular city. Unplowed streets can be unpleasant and, yes, dangerous. But, when resources are limited, things have to be prioritized, it's as simple as that. We are very likely to have to learn to live without a lot of things that we have gotten used to having government do for us.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:29 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
Just how bad are the residential streets in the big cities without plowing? I drove on a few last winter after some smaller snows and while they were covered with snow and ice, and the car wanted to zig zag a bit, they were navigable in a small FWD rental car. Maybe all the home owners should just clear the part of the street in front of their houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado