Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 08:16 PM

624 posts, read 1,161,111 times

Advertisements

I have a request for the Colorado forum , if anyone has a photo of Lone Cone Mountain, would you consider posting it here?
My understanding, its in Southwest Colorado, I found one photo on the web, but it was not as clear and scenic as I wished.

Many thanks if you can help with my search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 10:23 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
I've spent a lot of time down around Lone Cone in years past, but all my photos of it are slides that I've yet to digitize.

There are a few photos of it on flickr.com . Here's one:

Old 12-18-2009, 06:10 AM

796 posts, read 1,842,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I've spent a lot of time down around Lone Cone in years past, but all my photos of it are slides that I've yet to digitize.

There are a few photos of it on flickr.com . Here's one:
That is absolutely gorgeous! We don't have any of that in FL...

Old 12-18-2009, 06:25 AM

Jazzlover

My sincere thanks, that is exactly what I was searching for.

That photo is beautiful.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:07 AM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Great pick Jazz! I know that area as well, I'm guessing it's 20 miles south of Norwood on the Dolores/Norwood road. Miramonte reservoir is just west of Lone Cone.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:08 PM

My most interesting memory about Lone Cone happened years ago. We were heading down the Norwood-Dolores Road up near Lone Cone on a Labor Day weekend. Unlike today, hardly anyone was up there, even on a holiday weekend. We happened on a huge patch of wild raspberries, perfectly ripe. Well, nothing else to do but pile of the vehicle and go start grazing! There were 4 or 5 us spread out over probably a couple of acres, just eating ourselves silly on those raspberries. Well, I heard some rustling about 30 feet away in the bushes. I figured it was one the other guys with us, and kept on eating. In a few minutes, I had worked my way over to where I had heard the rustling. There the bushes were all smashed down for about a 20 foot radius, and there was a steaming pile of bear scat right in the middle. It was then that I realized that the rustling I had heard was not one of my buddies. Thankfully, the bear chose not to challenge us, though we were sure eating the hell out of his raspberry patch . . .

Old 12-18-2009, 04:01 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
And there ARE bears around that area, oh yea there are! I worked for the USFS as a road construction laborer for the latter 5 months of 1968 and our crew saw a lot of them. We were based out of the old Olinger building on Main st. downtown Durango, and the equipment garage was by the tracks where the old Safeway store was.Most of the bears we saw were closer to Groundhog reservoir, another favorite fishing spot. Favorite spot is Miramonte, my best friend yanked out an eight pound German brown out of there once! Been a couple years since I've been back down there, gotta get back!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 12-19-2009 at 07:59 AM..

Old 12-18-2009, 08:38 PM

I have looked at the photo of Lone Cone Mountain Jazzlover posted, many,many times,something about it is enchanting.

Are there any ranches below the timberline? Or is it Federal land?

Chilling story about being so close to the grizzly in the berry patch. I was hiking the visitors trail near the visitor center in Denali, alone, enjoying the trail, when I remembered, that in Alaska, wildlife can be anywhere.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset_Va View Post
I have looked at the photo of Lone Cone Mountain Jazzlover posted, many,many times,something about it is enchanting.

Are there any ranches below the timberline? Or is it Federal land?

Chilling story about being so close to the grizzly in the berry patch. I was hiking the visitors trail near the visitor center in Denali, alone, enjoying the trail, when I remembered, that in Alaska, wildlife can be anywhere.
No grizzlies left in Colorado, just black bears. There are private ranches intermixed with federal land around Lone Cone. A lot of the private land all the way from near Ridgway to down around Lone Cone was owned by Marie Scott. She accumulated ranch land for her whole life. At one time, I believe she owned close to 100,000 deeded acres (that is not a typo), plus probably at least that much acreage in federal grazing leases. The most prime part of her holdings up near Dallas Divide was sold to Ralph Lauren for his Double RL ranch after Scott's death. The rest was sold to numerous other purchasers. Unlike the out-of-state yuppie dumb***es who have trashed the Colorado mountains with their second home McMansions, Scott lived simply in a small ranch house, despite being one of the larger single landowners in the United States.

Read about her here:

Marie Scott - A Biography | TheFencePost.com

Marie Scott was a real character--about as tough a ranchwoman as you could find. I met her once at a livestock sale yard years ago. Quite a lady . . . She was one of the "real" Coloradans that I admired, nothing like the wannabe Coloradan knuckleheads that infest the state now.

Old 12-19-2009, 01:13 PM

184 posts, read 440,007 times
Now that's my kind of woman! Thanks for sharing her story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado