Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 01:38 PM

18 posts, read 31,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri722 View Post
OMG...I couldn't have said this better myself...I am not 23 anymore...but ever since we started visiting Colorado...I cannot get it out of my heart...
not just the beauty...there is something about it that draws you in...I talk
about being there all of the time...I check the weather there everyday...I
know I drive my kids crazy with my obsession to live there...but it's almost
as if there is a feeling that is where I belong, so I hope to live there soon!
I'm glad someone completely understands how I feel! I talk to everyone I can about how much I love it there. People who have been there totally get and those who haven't, I just tell them they need to go see it for themselves. And I had a widget on my laptop that shows the weather for Denver (although it hasn't been appealing lately. It read -2 last night). I visited for the first time this past June, went back in August, November, and I'm going again in February. I really hope I can be out there by May or June. Thanks for posting!

Oh, and freewest- my dad warned me about those Rocky Mountain Oysters...don't count on me eating any!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 01:47 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,113,429 times
Sounds like the lead in to a John Denver song.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:38 PM

336 posts, read 695,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerzz3737 View Post
I'm glad someone completely understands how I feel! I talk to everyone I can about how much I love it there. People who have been there totally get and those who haven't, I just tell them they need to go see it for themselves. And I had a widget on my laptop that shows the weather for Denver (although it hasn't been appealing lately. It read -2 last night). I visited for the first time this past June, went back in August, November, and I'm going again in February. I really hope I can be out there by May or June. Thanks for posting!

Oh, and freewest- my dad warned me about those Rocky Mountain Oysters...don't count on me eating any!

Yes, I do understand and yes, I say the same thing to the people who think I am silly...until you experience it...you have no idea...however, they usually tell me "well then don't talk about it...just do it" but in this economy I want to plan so that it's not a dream that turns into a nightmare. Well, we have been once in July and most of the other times it works out that we are there in Aug...and being in Texas...there is no better time to escape the heat...but it's always gorgeous...good luck with your move...

Old 01-08-2010, 09:40 PM

336 posts, read 695,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Sounds like the lead in to a John Denver song.
If you were talking to me....that's a good thing...

Old 01-09-2010, 12:51 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,102,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Norfolk's an active duty military town and almost everyone's from somewhere else. Not really typical VA as you'd find around Richmond, Charlottesville, or most other spots. Would be like judging So. California based on living in Oceanside (Camp Pendleton).
Colorado Springs is also an active duty military town, with Fort Carson and Peterson AFB. Your reasoning is nevertheless correct, I think, and Norfolk's "aloofness" is probably because so many there are transients. It may be "Why bother making friends with people that are moving on in a few months?".

Last edited by Bideshi; 01-09-2010 at 01:00 AM..

Old 01-11-2010, 08:07 AM

18 posts, read 31,600 times
Since everyone has been so helpful in the financial aspect of moving, does anyone know what it's like to meet people out there? I'm 23 and single and already have a group of friends in CO, but I don't want that to discourage me from meeting new people. I guess my concern stems from living around here because where I live, any girl with an ounce of self respect wouldn't go trying to meet a guy in the bars around here. They are rude, and arrogant, and really only want one thing from you...I'd like to think that more of the men in Denver are much more easy going and polite... Any advice or suggestions?

Last edited by emerzz3737; 01-11-2010 at 08:24 AM..

Old 01-11-2010, 08:28 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,925,448 times
It's the same as meeting people anywhere else. Chances are that you will like some of the people you meet and you will dislike some of the people you meet. Unless you join a cult where everyone has the same beliefs, that's generally the way it is....everywhere. No difference in that regard between PA and CO. All of your prejudices, likes and dislikes will accompany you everywhere you go. Wherever you go...there you are.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:14 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,717,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerzz3737 View Post
where I live, any girl with an ounce of self respect wouldn't go trying to meet a guy in the bars around here. They are rude, and arrogant, and really only want one thing from you
In other words typical East Coast guys

Quote:
...I'd like to think that more of the men in Denver are much more easy going and polite... Any advice or suggestions?
That's true. Men in Denver are more laid back, less aggressive. But do you really want to meet people in bars anyway? I've read on those advice sites that bars are some of the most difficult places to make friends.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:34 AM

3,603 posts, read 5,914,409 times
If you have friends already in CO, they will probably introduce you to additional friends that they have.

To find an additional circle of friends, I would recommend looking for some kind of social group that does an activity you enjoy, such as skiing groups or volunteering to help the homeless. You can meet lots of people. The more active you are, the more people you meet.

Bars are notoriously bad places for meeting people you have a lot in common with, no matter where you are. I wouldn't say it's an "east coast thing" that bars are a bad place to meet your future soulmate. It's a universal thing.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:47 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,717,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post

Bars are notoriously bad places for meeting people you have a lot in common with, no matter where you are. I wouldn't say it's an "east coast thing" that bars are a bad place to meet your future soulmate. It's a universal thing.
Apart from going to a bar with your social group, in my experience the only socially worthwhile thing about bars is to have trivial conversations with people you don't know. Nothing meaningful. In my whole life I don't think I've ever become friends with someone I met at a bar. I've had lots of conversations, a few of them interesting, most of them pointless, most of them with people who are lushes.

But that's me. I'm not a wooo-hooo life of the party vibrant type of guy. Those type of people do meet people at bars and make friends, girlfriends/boyfriends etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado