Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 01:09 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,157,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I've been hiring and firing people for over three decades now--but I can see through the local PO Box/phone number scam to make your interviewer think you are a resident in about the first minute of an interview, if it ever gets to that point. In fact, I usually won't even consider a person who does that when applying for a job. If he or she is going to try to shine me about that, what are they going to do once they are on the job? I do have to admit, though, it can be fun catching them in the lie. That "I'm so busted" look from them can be pretty amusing.
Well, aren't you clever?

OP: If the nature of your work demands that you be licensed in-state then you may have to move here before looking for jobs in that area. Barring that, there are plenty of REASONABLE employers who understand that people often relocate over long distances for the sake of their careers. Frankly, if a prospective employer is going to judge you by your address then it's 99% certain that they would be a terror to work for anyways. I say just use your current address and assert your willingness to move if and when you get interviewed. BUT, if for some reason you MUST have a CO address, then there are ways, which have already been covered here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 01:26 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,381,350 times
The more of the relocation posts I read on the Colorado thread, the more easily they can be separated into two main groups:

The "I want to live the dream" types. This group is shrinking. In this economy, they are slowly figuring out that--unless one has the financial means to either a) not need a job; or b) have enough financial resources to relocate and survive on savings for months, or even years--their little dream may not be happening.

The "it's gotta be better than here" (wherever "here" is) types. This is the growing bunch that looks at Colorado compared to where they are now, and says, "Well, it looks better in Colorado than in 'X', so I'm headed for the greener pasture." This is the group that may be in for the really harsh disappointment. The reason is this: Colorado does look better economically than many places right now. What that ignores is the fact that Colorado has historically lagged the rest of the country entering a recession/depression and frequently lags it coming out. People relocating here now may likely be, as the economists like to say, "catching the falling knife." It also ignores the fact that Colorado's economy, for the past several years, has been heavily dominated by the same "industries"--real estate and financial speculation, construction, recreation, etc.--that are becoming largely superfluous and unnecessary in the coming economic environment.

I will be harshly criticized (no doubt) for this statement, but Colorado is going to become a state in which even many of its current residents may find it very difficult to be able to make a living. In that environment, it will hardly be welcoming to people moving here--people without local connections, local friends or families, or a job in hand. This place will get real brutal for those people--and, in some areas of the state, already is.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:39 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,138,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavidson78 View Post
As I read on another thread, no one looks at out-of-state job applicants and one needs a job lined up to move out-of-state. It is a problem. We're meeting with our financial advisor to make a time-line for ourselves to get out there. I think I'm just going to have to rent someplace with my kids for a time so that my husband has a chance to apply to jobs with a Colorado address. It's going to be hard. My husband works in IT/network admin./telecommunications. Would it be wise to rent someplace near the DTC?
Well it really depends on the type of job you're talking about. If you're looking for "big city" type positions in Denver working for some mega-corp. they're going to care a lot less about where you're from than about the skills you have. They move people around all the time anyway and have little regard for geography. A smaller local business is probably going to be at the other end of spectrum.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
The more of the relocation posts I read on the Colorado thread, the more easily they can be separated into two main groups:

The "I want to live the dream" types.

The "it's gotta be better than here" (wherever "here" is) types.
With so many high tech jobs and high-bandwidth telecommunications (not to mention retirees or other self-employed folks), more and more people are able to make a move without work being the main determining factor, so I'd say they would make up a third (smaller, but growing) category:

"I have an opportunity to move anywhere I want to in the US and I choose CO" types.

I fit into that category. Granted, this sort of migration is not limited to CO. Many other states (mainly in the west, methinks) have seen the same thing in recent years, but I'll confine my comment to this state since we're in the CO forum. People that have lived here for a long time should really be happy to see this sort of growth, because we are being paid by out-of-state employers (in my case, CA) and pumping the vast majority of that income back into Colorado's economy in the form of taxes (property, state, sales), services and purchases. And NO, we don't ALL own giant trophy homes on along the mountain tops.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Well it really depends on the type of job you're talking about. If you're looking for "big city" type positions in Denver working for some mega-corp. they're going to care a lot less about where you're from than about the skills you have. They move people around all the time anyway and have little regard for geography. A smaller local business is probably going to be at the other end of spectrum.
Can't rep you again, but SO TRUE!!! Especially if that small business is run by a grouchy old man who sees outsiders as a threat.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:20 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,728,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavidson78 View Post
As I read on another thread, no one looks at out-of-state job applicants and one needs a job lined up to move out-of-state. It is a problem. We're meeting with our financial advisor to make a time-line for ourselves to get out there. I think I'm just going to have to rent someplace with my kids for a time so that my husband has a chance to apply to jobs with a Colorado address. It's going to be hard. My husband works in IT/network admin./telecommunications. Would it be wise to rent someplace near the DTC?
How quickly are you needing for him to get a job? Hiring in that job area is real slow in Denver right now.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:34 PM

24 posts, read 47,909 times
I'm not sure which category I fall in. I once lived in Colorado and loved it. I have family and friends that reside in Colorado, and would love to live closer to them. I want better opportunities for myself and my family in Colorado based on the happy years I had there as a little girl (better schools, better outdoor recreation, etc.) I'm looking for greener anything, because duh, AZ is a desert. I've wanted to return since we moved away. There has been opportunity in the past, but hindered due to schooling, having babies, and dealing with the aftermath of death. I would like to move soon, before our roots get too deep here.
As far as the job type we're looking for, as I said previous, my husband is IT/network admin/telecommunications. Pickers can't be choosers. Where is the best place to START where we might find the broadest pool of jobs? DTC? Colorado Springs? I know there are some vendors that my husband works with and is networking with currently that are based in Centennial.
We're hoping to make this move within the next two years. Ideally before my oldest starts kindergarten this fall, but a little later won't kill us.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:50 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,594,448 times
Quote:

The "I want to live the dream" types. This group is shrinking. In this economy, they are slowly figuring out that--unless one has the financial means to either a) not need a job; or b) have enough financial resources to relocate and survive on savings for months, or even years--their little dream may not be happening.

The "it's gotta be better than here" (wherever "here" is) types. This is the growing bunch that looks at Colorado compared to where they are now, and says, "Well, it looks better in Colorado than in 'X', so I'm headed for the greener pasture." This is the group that may be in for the really harsh disappointment. The reason is this: Colorado does look better economically than many places right now. What that ignores is the fact that Colorado has historically lagged the rest of the country entering a recession/depression and frequently lags it coming out. People relocating here now may likely be, as the economists like to say, "catching the falling knife." It also ignores the fact that Colorado's economy, for the past several years, has been heavily dominated by the same "industries"--real estate and financial speculation, construction, recreation, etc.--that are becoming largely superfluous and unnecessary in the coming economic environment.
I would say that is very accurate regarding the people who want to relocate to Colorado.

However I'm not about to dump on their dreams. I just think that for many to do what they want to do, they are unprepared for.

I think one thing I am finding in life is that everything takes twice as much time and twice as much money to accomplish something as initially expected. So moving to Colorado can be done but it isn't easy. Denver is the easy way out, regular city, regular jobs, but the rest of Colorado is a bit tougher.

As my good old friend says, there is no geographic cure. I think a lot of people see Colorado as a fix for all their personal problems, family problems, economic problems, lack of happiness, etc. I don't think Colorado will do that for them because I believe most problems are an internal issue people have created for themselves and all these other external things will never fix it.

And my good old friend would know. He is currently living out of his car north of Denver.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:54 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,138,689 times
So which yields more happiness? Living there or the anticipation of living there?

Old 01-27-2010, 02:59 PM

24 posts, read 47,909 times
Can we get back on topic here please and not debate philosophies regarding why people want to relocate and the realities one faces with this process?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado