Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 02:01 PM

621 posts, read 1,051,017 times

Advertisements

Hey OP!

I can't find where you said what type of work you're seeking. Can you post that? That could add some additional insight, IMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 02:02 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,383,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
Can't rep you again, but SO TRUE!!! Especially if that small business is run by a grouchy old man who sees outsiders as a threat.
If you are referring to me, I was probably successfully supervising people before you were born! And, if I'm such an SOB to work for, I wonder why I'm still working with people close to 20 years after I hired them.

If you are fortunate enough to be a telecommuter, "lone eagle", or whatever you want to call it that does not have to rely on the local economy for your job, well, you're fortunate. But most of the wannabe Coloradans posting here don't have that luxury, and they are going to need to find work with a Colorado employer. To do that, they are going to have to compete with a lot of people for the few available jobs. If I have a choice between hiring two people with similar abilities and qualifications, I'm probably going to prefer the one that already has some roots here and who is not likely to head somewhere else as soon as some "greener pasture" comes along. I flat won't hire people who try to mislead me on their job application or resumé ABOUT ANYTHING. I figure if he or she is willing to do it to GET the job, he or she will also do it when they are ON the job. I don't need those kind of hacks working for me--especially when there is a BIG selection of people to hire out there now.

By the way, I've worked and supervised people in organizations as small as a couple of employees to one with thousands of employees.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:06 PM

24 posts, read 47,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinstyler View Post
Hey OP!

I can't find where you said what type of work you're seeking. Can you post that? That could add some additional insight, IMO
Sure. My husband works IT/Network Administration and Telecommunications (currently with Avaya phones). Thanks!

Old 01-27-2010, 02:45 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,729,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavidson78 View Post
I'm not sure which category I fall in. I once lived in Colorado and loved it. I have family and friends that reside in Colorado, and would love to live closer to them. I want better opportunities for myself and my family in Colorado based on the happy years I had there as a little girl (better schools, better outdoor recreation, etc.) I'm looking for greener anything, because duh, AZ is a desert. I've wanted to return since we moved away. There has been opportunity in the past, but hindered due to schooling, having babies, and dealing with the aftermath of death. I would like to move soon, before our roots get too deep here.
As far as the job type we're looking for, as I said previous, my husband is IT/network admin/telecommunications. Pickers can't be choosers. Where is the best place to START where we might find the broadest pool of jobs? DTC? Colorado Springs? I know there are some vendors that my husband works with and is networking with currently that are based in Centennial.
We're hoping to make this move within the next two years. Ideally before my oldest starts kindergarten this fall, but a little later won't kill us.

Job openings in Colo Springs are primarily defense oriented and require a security clearance. If your husband has an active clearance, it's a no brainer: he can instantly get hired in Colorado Springs.

DTC and Denver in general are more private industry oriented stuff. There's also a lot of Federal jobs (these takes 5-8 months to get hired.) If your husband does not have a security clearance, his best chance of landing a job more quickly is Denver/DTC.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Job openings in Colo Springs are primarily defense oriented and require a security clearance. If your husband has an active clearance, it's a no brainer: he can instantly get hired in Colorado Springs.

DTC and Denver in general are more private industry oriented stuff. There's also a lot of Federal jobs (these takes 5-8 months to get hired.) If your husband does not have a security clearance, his best chance of landing a job more quickly is Denver/DTC.
Thank you so much 80skeys!

Old 01-27-2010, 04:15 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,158,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
If you are referring to me, I was probably successfully supervising people before you were born! And, if I'm such an SOB to work for, I wonder why I'm still working with people close to 20 years after I hired them.
What makes you think I was referring to you? Ring of truth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
By the way, I've worked and supervised people in organizations as small as a couple of employees to one with thousands of employees.
If you're trying to impress me, try again.

I do however agree with your words about being honest on a resume and in interviews.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:01 PM

229 posts, read 748,503 times
Quote:
I'm not sure which category I fall in. I once lived in Colorado and loved it. I have family and friends that reside in Colorado, and would love to live closer to them. I want better opportunities for myself and my family in Colorado based on the happy years I had there as a little girl (better schools, better outdoor recreation, etc.) I'm looking for greener anything, because duh, AZ is a desert. I've wanted to return since we moved away. There has been opportunity in the past, but hindered due to schooling, having babies, and dealing with the aftermath of death. I would like to move soon, before our roots get too deep here.
As far as the job type we're looking for, as I said previous, my husband is IT/network admin/telecommunications. Pickers can't be choosers. Where is the best place to START where we might find the broadest pool of jobs? DTC? Colorado Springs? I know there are some vendors that my husband works with and is networking with currently that are based in Centennial.
We're hoping to make this move within the next two years. Ideally before my oldest starts kindergarten this fall, but a little later won't kill us.

God you are getting bad guidance if you are getting any at all. So moving here without a job and looking in IT - the main areas seem to be Colorado Springs, Golden, DTC, Downtown Denver, Interlocken area, Boulder, Fort Collins. Try to rent/plant yourself somewhere in the middle of all that geographically - most likely slightly south of downtown Denver. Try to interview for every possible job (including Fort Collins & Colorado Springs - sure, those two will be long drives, but you can manage it for several months until you can move closer). Sell yourself to IT contractors/headhunters that your willing to work wherever and you aren't restricted. I'm guessing they get so many talented people that live in Highlands Ranch but would never look at a job in Boulder - don't be like those people. There is some Yahoo job board out there - something like Rocky Mountain Internet Users group - join that and bust your ass. Sure, there is risk, but there is opportunity here for intelligent people that are willing to work their asses off.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:35 PM

2,885 posts, read 7,105,893 times
Quote:
Sure. My husband works IT/Network Administration and Telecommunications (currently with Avaya phones). Thanks!
Avaya has a location here in Westminster. Any chance he could transfer, or do some networking through Avaya?

Old 01-27-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movementarian View Post
God you are getting bad guidance if you are getting any at all. So moving here without a job and looking in IT - the main areas seem to be Colorado Springs, Golden, DTC, Downtown Denver, Interlocken area, Boulder, Fort Collins. Try to rent/plant yourself somewhere in the middle of all that geographically - most likely slightly south of downtown Denver. Try to interview for every possible job (including Fort Collins & Colorado Springs - sure, those two will be long drives, but you can manage it for several months until you can move closer). Sell yourself to IT contractors/headhunters that your willing to work wherever and you aren't restricted. I'm guessing they get so many talented people that live in Highlands Ranch but would never look at a job in Boulder - don't be like those people. There is some Yahoo job board out there - something like Rocky Mountain Internet Users group - join that and bust your ass. Sure, there is risk, but there is opportunity here for intelligent people that are willing to work their asses off.
Oh thank God, my sentiments exactly. I appreciate your input very much. We'll check out that yahoo job board.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:06 AM

726 posts, read 2,141,228 times
The Avaya building in Westminster is HUGE. Like Suzco said any chance he could transfer with them or apply for any openings with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado