Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 12:13 PM

2 posts, read 13,245 times

Advertisements

Those of you that have purchased land there, did you find your property from coloradolandsale.com? Just wondering? I am a single dad of a 5 & 6 year old daughter. I live out in the country in NM but still a few too many people for me. I have lived in Monument Valley, UT and lived there with no water nor electricity do to the Navajo Nation giving the Navajos a hard time about running these lines/pipes out there. It sure was an easy way of life, a life I sure miss. I just absolutely love the desert. I want to be somewhere where I can turn my kids loose in the summer time and not have to worry about any sickos taking them. But yeah, I am wondering if anyone had gone through coloradolandsale.com to purchas their property because that is where I found 2 (atleast 1) 5 acre property(ies) that I am interested in. Thanks!

Last edited by JimmyJames81; 02-22-2011 at 12:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 01:50 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,931,897 times
I don't know about coloradolandsale, but have you visited Blanca and the rest of the San Luis Valley yet? I live in Cortez and have visited Monument Valley often. It is NOTHING like the San Luis Valley which is high and cold and choked with sagebrush. There is also some antagonism toward Anglos in places like La Jara, although Alamosa is a friendly college town. Going without electricity is a whole different proposition in the Valley due to the winter cold. But if you like desolation, the area certainly provides it.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:32 AM

2 posts, read 13,245 times
No I haven't visited yet but I am used to the negative degree weather. I have lived in northwestern New Mexico since 04. It gets down to minus singles and sometimes doubles. I am used to being the minority. I have never lived in a place where white folk have been the majority since I have left my hometown. Discrimination is nothing new to me. Living on and so close to the navajo rez, it's all over the place directed towards whites. I just want a nice quite place to raise my kids, go back to school and have a peaceful life. I love the smell of sage.

Old 02-23-2011, 03:38 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,931,897 times
Well, I love the smell of sage, too. In fact its one of my favorite scents. If you have lived in northern New Mexico, the Valley won't be quite as different to you as it is to others - especially those from back East who get suckered in by those glossy magazine ads. Those things always make me laugh when I see them.

Sounds like you'll do fine in Costilla County.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:20 AM

1,788 posts, read 2,480,622 times
I've got 40 acres in between 12 and San Luis that I am thinking of selling. I was going to build but there are no neighbors within sight to help deter theft. It would be great for someone who actually lived there year around. The taxes are $240/year as it stands.

I chose five acres and have started building on that. One of my neighbors free ranges about 30 horse. The sight of 30 young horses thundering by at dawn or dusk is quite remarkable. Especially with the mountain ranges in the background. I need to shoot some video. Those horses sure kick up some dust though.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:46 PM

1 posts, read 6,331 times
Default Crime In and Around Alamosa

I have read older posts that say that gangs are a big problem in this area. Is that still a problem?
We are looking at purchasing property. Most of the things that people mention as flaws for the properties we actually find appealing. However, with a family to raise, I would not want to expose my kids to gang violence or have them get involved with a gang.
Also, is the instance of crime higher outside the towns in the rural areas?
Thanks!

Old 09-12-2011, 11:42 PM

29 posts, read 87,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCoCal View Post
We moved to the SLV in July 2009. We are on the South side of the.....
What an awesome and friendly attitude. I truly hope you are an indication of most of the folks down there. We are both natives but have only visited down in this area. We are big into Jeeping so we have been down to run the Blanca Peak trail a few times. We drove down weekend before last to look at a couple lots that we are considering and have looked at others on line.

We ate at the "All Gone" Pizzeria while in Ft G. It wasn't the fastest and service was slow but every one had this same type of attitude and were very friendly. It wasn't hard however to spot who was from there and who wasn't.

Thank you for your post, it would be awesome to meet you some time and again I hope this is more in-line with the type of folks we would meet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3sons2834 View Post
I have read older posts that say that gangs are a big problem in this area. Is that still a problem?
We are looking at purchasing property. Most of the things that people mention as flaws for the properties we actually find appealing. However, with a family to raise, I would not want to expose my kids to gang violence or have them get involved with a gang.
Also, is the instance of crime higher outside the towns in the rural areas?
Thanks!
Great questions... We dont have kids but still great stuff to know!!!

Last edited by Mike from back east; 09-13-2011 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: Removing excess quoted material.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:36 AM

2 posts, read 8,117 times
This definitely sounds like the place for me! I have been searching the area for 4 yrs, I am ready to buy but need info on living off the grid from someone who has done it & is willing to help a new comer with some tips.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:44 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shariaroberts View Post
Greetings everyone, My husband and I just purchased land in Blanca CO.
Costilla County. Can anyone tell me about this area, the people, what kind of work is available, etc...... Thank You
It's probably the nicest and prettiest part of Colorado. We looked at moving there several years ago and decided against it because we could not have a food garden or small animals (rabbits, sheep, goats), there due to the water restrictions.

It's not for everyone, but then no place is. I'd spend some time there before I made the decision to live there forever, just to make sure it was truly what I was looking for.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-24-2012, 06:45 PM

9 posts, read 46,069 times
Default Very Beautiful BUT;

DON'T BUY UNTIL YOU SEE and COMPARE!!!!!
Most of the land is worthless.
Keyword: MOST.
Having said that I will say it is some of the most beautiful land in Colorado. Two 14,000 foot mountains and real nice folks.
There is NOTHING around. Nearest Wal-Mart is 45 miles.
The BEST deal for the money ($5000.00 +/- for 5 acres) is in the Sangre de Christo Ranches. land in the flats (desert) is worth $500.00 an acre at best. Go to REALTOR.COM and look there. Use zip code 81133. I also say use an independent Realtor.
I can't tell you how many times that I sat in the local restaurants and heard people talking about the land they bought without looking at it and WAY overpaid.
I saw a deal like this:
Price, $17,000. $2000 down. Payment: $179.00 @ 10% for that 5 acres worth $5000.00 or less.
What do you do? Most stop paying and let the land default back to the seller as to continue to pay is not wise as you could get 3 lots for your money. The seller gets your $2000, your payments and the land to do it over again. You, start over.
Other advice: Bring MONEY as there are NO jobs. It is the poorest county in Colorado.
Having said all that Costilla County is a DO.
Picture is on my land in the Ranches.
Attached Thumbnails
Moving to Blanca, Costilla County. Please tell me about this area-129.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado