Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 10:40 AM

2 posts, read 4,722 times

Advertisements

I got the most spectacular job offer in Durango, but I am worried that it might be too small for my city kids. Coming from a town of millions and going to around 20k might be too much for all of us. Any input?

thanks
Molly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 11:43 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Molly, IMO take the job. It's the chance of a lifetime for kids to grow up in the mountains and get a whole other viewpoint of a life that isn't centered on the usual suburban stuff.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:57 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,082,894 times
You say you got the "Most spectacular job offer"?
I say,..."Enough said"!!
Children adjust,...especially when their parent is doing well!
A small town never killed anyone! No decent income and stressing to pay bills could be a problem as opposed to population size!
I raised my oldest (when my youngest was just born) in a decent sized town (Aurora/Centennial). He loves loves loves big cities!! That said,...he lives and works in Antarctica now, giving up being a professor and,...he loves it!!! Go figure, nothing more isolating, small, no stores,cabs,etc.!!
My youngest, who was born in Aurora,...was raised in Canon City. He is a cryptologist and, like his brother, travels the continents. He is okay with bigger cities, (he's in them alot!) but, after getting out of a smaller town,..longs for a smaller town in the mountains!!! BTW, he is stationed in Hawaii and, hates it!!
I grew up in Denver. I live in Canon City now. I have lived on a private beach in Florida and my mother lives in Florida.
I love the smaller towns in Colorado and I made this my home because I WANTED to!! Not because I was raised elsewhere!
I would definitely go where your most spectacular job takes you!!
It's not like it's in Siberia or something!! It is in a very nice and beautiful place in Colorado!! We should all be soo lucky! Your children too!!
NO BRAINER!!

Old 01-17-2010, 02:12 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
Their Nintendos will still work there. How old are they and do they enjoy outdoor activities? As teens they'll have plenty of job opportunities with all the tourism. My kids would consider it Outer Siberia but they'll probably get used to it. The most difficult thing will be separating them from their current friends but that would be true no matter where you moved.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:01 PM

621 posts, read 1,054,004 times
I'm from the area and can say without hesitation that your kids will settle in to Durango just fine. It's a very fun place to live and kid-centric. With over 300 days of sunshine per year, the kids enjoy outdoor play on most days.

Durango is not a backwoods "one-horse" town. It's filled with active and educated people. There are some who move here that are ready to "teach the locals" some things about the city, only to be met with well traveled and well-rounded people. People don't get "stuck" in Durango, they choose to live here.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:08 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinstyler View Post
Durango is not a backwoods "one-horse" town. .
Yeah I read in the Herald that they recently added a second horse.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:22 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,779,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmahai View Post
I got the most spectacular job offer in Durango, but I am worried that it might be too small for my city kids. Coming from a town of millions and going to around 20k might be too much for all of us. Any input?

thanks
Molly

They're gonna be bored.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:25 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,779,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanL View Post
You say you got the "Most spectacular job offer"?
I say,..."Enough said"!!
Children adjust,...especially when their parent is doing well!
I totally do not agree with this. I think it's a travesty to raise kids in small towns. Durango is a little better because it has a college and it's such a draw for people from all over, but when you're talking about places like Cortez, Rangley, Meeker, it's horrible to subject kids to that type of socially stagnating environment.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:29 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,182,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
They're gonna be bored.
I doubt it. Durango has one of the nicest rec centers I've ever been to with a water slide, rope swing, lazy river, etc. It's only 20 minutes from Purgatory aka Durango Mountain resort and I think that passes for school aged children are cheap. They can go hiking, camping, rock climbing, etc. Durango is a fun place for kids and adults. If I had a spectacular job offer there I would not hesitate to make the move.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:38 AM

621 posts, read 1,054,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
I doubt it. Durango has one of the nicest rec centers I've ever been to with a water slide, rope swing, lazy river, etc. It's only 20 minutes from Purgatory aka Durango Mountain resort and I think that passes for school aged children are cheap. They can go hiking, camping, rock climbing, etc. Durango is a fun place for kids and adults. If I had a spectacular job offer there I would not hesitate to make the move.
It's important to also know that there are sports in Durango. Kids have access to tennis courts, racquetball courts (in rec center), soccer , both rec league and travel, Baseball (Mickey Mantle and travel), swimming teams, football, golf, mountain biking, road biking, rock climbing, hiking, running, dance and gymnastics. Also, there is BMX, snowmobiling, skateboarding, snowboarding and skiing.

If you're bored in Durango, you're not leaving your home. For the college aged kids and young adults, there is some night life, but it seems more closed than a city. You go out with people-not usually to meet new people. Though most kids that age are still hiking, biking and camping for fun. The outdoor opportunity in Durango is awesome and the sun shines a ton!

Let's not forget the river, seasonal kayaking and tubing opportunities are also fun.

There is no mall shopping and that sort of city activity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado