Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 01:48 PM

23 posts, read 79,019 times

Advertisements

It isn't true that Coloradians don't like people from California, is it???? I heard that twice this week and wanted to get your views on this.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2006, 02:32 PM

137 posts, read 774,518 times
In the early 90s we had a HUGE number of people move here from CA, and the natives grumbled a bit. But we've all gotten used to it. There are more people here from California than from Colorado, so you really don't have much to worry about. Anyone who truely doesn't like Californians has a problem- because that doesn't leave them much of anyone to like. It was kind-of a joke 10-15 years ago; now it's just old news.

Old 07-26-2006, 04:18 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Default Here's another one

On a local website, some character wrote: Most beautiful sight in Colorado is a Californian heading south with a Texan under each arm. I thought that was pretty funny. Good humorous line. Nothing more.

Back in the DC area, we "hated" tourists (not really) as they hold up traffic with their indecision and such, etc. My wife is a native of that region (Northern VA) and she always griped about growth of the area and all the ills that go with it, and many times I heard her say "why don't all these people go back where they came from." Yes dear.

People everywhere gripe about how things have changed since "back in the day" etc. Growth and mobility aren't stopping. Its been happening since the Mayflower landed. Its still happening, only we use Mayflower Van Lines - and we wear much cooler clothes.

The gripes are a normal response to change. Pay no heed. Y'all come!

s/Mike

Old 07-26-2006, 04:48 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,342,004 times
Most Coloradians don't really have a problem with people from CA. They do however have a problem with Californians who come to CO and try and turn it into CA. If you want to move to CO you are welcome but only go if you want to live in CO not if you want to live in CA but can't afford it. Personally I don't mind the CA lifestyle (except that they don't seem to know how to drive) so I will still welcome you but that is where the stereotype comes from.

Old 07-26-2006, 04:49 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times
We are a purple state for a reason. A lot of us move here from Cali. Lifestyle just as rich, but costs less.

I have been here 17 years. I grew up in DC, where the average reidency lasted 9 months.

Plus, it's fun to wear your cowboy boots and hat, and nobody gives you a second look.

Old 07-26-2006, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver
We are a purple state for a reason. A lot of us move here from Cali. Lifestyle just as rich, but costs less. I have been here 17 years. I grew up in DC, where the average residency lasted 9 months. Plus, it's fun to wear your cowboy boots and hat, and nobody gives you a second look.
When I worked for the Army back in the DC area, we were all suits and uniforms. Once in a while a freight forwarder from CA/ID would come in, Brad from VanPac - sport coat, jeans, cowboy boots. The girls all thought he was the bomb. I keep the suits in the closet now, wear my jeans and Ariats often out here. Ain't about to try and change Colorado, I hope it changes me.

Yee Hah!

Old 07-26-2006, 06:53 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times
I love when the Western Stock Show & Rodeo come to town in January. I love the mutton busting, the bull riding & watching the cowboys walk slowly into the sunset

Old 07-26-2006, 09:12 PM

23 posts, read 79,019 times
I have absolutely no intention to change CO into CA. I am leaving CA because I no longer like it. The people here have become more shallow and selfishover the years. I have lived here the majority of my life and now I can't wait to get out of it. If I could move to CO tomorrow, I would. The people I encountered in CO were more genuine and kind. I really look forward to the refreshing change.

Old 07-27-2006, 08:52 AM

Thumbs up National Western Stock Show is not to be missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver
I love when the Western Stock Show & Rodeo come to town in January. I love the mutton busting, the bull riding & watching the cowboys walk slowly into the sunset
Yes! We went in Jan 2006, first time, what a super event. I especially liked seeing Longhorn cattle run through 17th street, starting at the train station in the LoDo section. Shoot, Merrill-Lynch only shows you a bull on TV, here they run the streets. So cool. It is just THAT sort of thing we love about Colorado and don't want to see change. Even though it was January, the day was mild and a light jacket was all we needed. We also attended the rodeo and had front row seats. I thought the bronc's were going to come right over the rail into my lap, but they turned on a dime at the last second, all I got was dirt clods in my beer... The look of concentration on the cowboy's faces was very insightful - these are some of the bravest, or craziest, guys you'll ever see. We also saw the bison auction and the horse, mule, wagon and other competitions. Amazing stuff. If you've never been, check out http://www.nationalwestern.com/nwss/home/index.asp (broken link) and order tix asap in September. This is the GRAND-DADDY of stock and horse shows.

Some of my pix from the 2006 show are at: http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e218/Pix999/

Old 07-27-2006, 12:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,761 times
Default No

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbjab
It isn't true that Coloradians don't like people from California, is it???? I heard that twice this week and wanted to get your views on this.

Thank you
We are used to all the Californians now.They have adapted.The texans are horrible.The way they talk.They are inconsiderate drivers and never switch over their license plates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of: