Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 05:40 PM

3 posts, read 20,235 times

Advertisements

My husband is in the military and we have a choice of going to Honolulu, Hawaii or Colorado Springs, Colorado. I have done sooo much research and talked to him countless times about this.

He wants to live in Honolulu and I want to live in Colorado.

I found out that there is a big bug problem in honolulu, like spiders the size of your hand! I hate bugs, spiders, moths... all of it! But he is saying thats the price to pay for beauty. Colorado is pretty too!

PLEASE help us come to an agreement...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 05:42 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooselissa17 View Post
My husband is in the military and we have a choice of going to Honolulu, Hawaii or Colorado Springs, Colorado. I have done sooo much research and talked to him countless times about this.

I found out that there is a big bug problem in honolulu, like spiders the size of your hand! I hate bugs, spiders, moths... all of it! But he is saying thats the price to pay for beauty. Colorado is pretty too!

Good grief, HAWAII is the bomb, go there, it's only for a few years until you PCS back out of there. It's on everyone's dream list. Do it. You won't be sorry. The bugs are a trivial issue really. See the islands and have a ball. You can always come to COLO SGPS on another tour.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:46 PM

3 posts, read 20,235 times
very true... but what i was thinking is to start in colorado now with his E5 and after he makes his E6 then relocate the Honolulu so that he will be making more money... since prices are soooo high... plus if the stuff in 2012 ever happens, then hawaii is going to be the last place i want to be for 3 years lol

Old 02-01-2010, 07:02 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,122,984 times
Yea, but you will die so quickly that you won't even know it. Go for Hawaii and then retire in CO.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:02 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
ocean vs mountains; humid vs dry; both lovely places, but how many people get the chance to live in Hawaii??? My good friend's DH was stationed in HI and they never left. It is terribly expensive there, and the schools aren't great...but it's Hawaii.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:46 PM

58 posts, read 244,701 times
I just PCSed from Hawaii and I can tell you out of a three year tour it was about 2 and a half years to long. If you like a change in seasons and a temperature of anything except 85 degrees, go with the Springs. It is expensive to live in Hawaii, 5 bucks for a gallon of milk... at the commissary. There is nowhere really to drive so if you are a homebody then it is ok. The beach is nice, as is the scuba diving and snorkeling. The hiking is decent but nothing compared to Colorado. Theft is a HUGE problem on Oahu, my car was broken into twice in one year. In the end its up to you and your husband, but I disliked being in Hawaii. Thats why I am in the Springs now...

Old 02-02-2010, 10:38 AM

1,331 posts, read 5,081,422 times
My son is stationed in Honolulu (Pearl Harbor).
He is from Colorado and hates Hawaii. He has been there for 2 years (when he isn't somewhere else on the ship of course).
One would think...Hawaii, yay!! He has often said it is boring and expensive!! He dives but, really could care less about the beach (seeing he is on the water all of the time!)
He loves Colorado and often says "I forget just how beautiful and majestic Colorado is!"
He will be leaving Hawaii in 2 years (then Denver for 2 years). He will be overseas after that.
His BAH ( or BHA?) is close to 2 thousand a month for a single male ( That outta tell you something about just how expensive it is!!!)
At least that is paid for however!
There aren't snakes but, the spiders are there ( I hate spiders!) I don't even like the word!!haha!

Old 02-02-2010, 11:19 AM

2,437 posts, read 8,180,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooselissa17 View Post

Don't be too quick to listen to all these Hawaiian day-dreamers. I was born in Honolulu, lived in the Islands for a time, still have family and friends there, and visit about once a year. I can tell you that HAWAII IS NOT ALL THAT. Anyone who says otherwise has probably never lived there or even visited for more than a week or two.

Don't get me wrong, there's plenty to enjoy about it, especially that incredibly beautiful WATER and 80° winters. So if you have the opportunity to live there for a short time and really won't we losing anything by doing so, it might be worth it just for the experience.

Hawaii seems to be most enjoyed by retired folks who can afford beachfront or ocean-view property and who desire little more than to sit on their lanai and read the paper in the sunshine while they age. It would also be enjoyed by folks that are especially passionate about water sports such as surfing, diving, and paddling (I'm not talking about those who enjoy such things on occasion [like me] but people who truly desire to live and die on tropical seas). Otherwise, Hawaii is a difficult and unpleasant place to make a living, even moreso than other places I've lived. (Granted, having a military income may shield you from much of that...) Here is a short list of some of the other drawbacks to living in Hawaii:

1) Rampant racism - worse than anywhere else in the US, IMO, doe to the Natives vs. Haoles thing.... If you have school aged children, expect them to be taunted with derogatory names and even beat upon at times.
2) Drugs, Crime, Violence and some of the worst public schools in the state - this can of course be worked around (don't even think about public schools if the kids are near high school age) but it can even be an issue in private schools. Especially in Oahu, where the big city atmosphere compounds Hawaii's ever-present social issues.
3) Difficult to get around - Poor roads, horrible traffic, overcrowded with both locals and tourists galore, especially in the winter.
4) Poor services and infrastructure - The first time you try to schedule a contractor for some work or rely on public services for ANYTHING you'll learn the true meaning of 'Island Time', especially if the surf is up.
5) Very High Cost of Living - Housing, groceries, gas, everything... 'nuff said.

I could go one, but I really don't want to sound like I'm just trying to trash the place... I do have some fond memories of my time there and I still enjoy visiting regularly. So here are some pros:

1) Clear Blue Water - I mentioned it earlier, but it really can't be overstated... the water around all of the islands is simply fantastic. It can especially be enjoyed if you have a boat that can be used for fishing, diving, touring, etc... even if it's just a paddle-powered powered.
2) Beaches, okay, they're really nice too, but they are usually very crowded and often dirty in or near the city.
3) Island Life - there is a relaxing, laid-back atmosphere that permeates most of the islands (mainly outside of Honolulu), but it's a lot easier to get into it when on vacation than when living there.
4) People from the mainland will be interested, even impressed, when you tell them you live(d) in Hawaii (unless they're other military folk who were just stationed there too) because, as you can see above, most people think of Hawaii as some great paradisaical lifestyle that everyone aspires to (not true) but few attain (true). It does make for for good conversation and nostalgic memories though.

Like I said before, if it's only for a few years and if you won't have to risk your whole livelihood to do it, then it might be worth it, if only to experience it first-hand. May it go well with you. If you do decide on CO, the door is open.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:12 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,081,422 times
Treedonkey is spot on!!!
One other thing (about Colorado).
If you really hate moths......we have a moth season here (at least in Canon City 38 miles SW of COS). It is a migratory path they take going towards the mountains (moon actually).
It can get very ..Alfred Hithcock like at times!!!! I do mean tons of them!!!
Just a thought.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:47 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,180,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanL View Post
Treedonkey is spot on!!!
One other thing (about Colorado).
If you really hate moths......we have a moth season here (at least in Canon City 38 miles SW of COS). It is a migratory path they take going towards the mountains (moon actually).
It can get very ..Alfred Hithcock like at times!!!! I do mean tons of them!!!
Just a thought.
That must be pretty region-specific though, because I have yet to see moth one... In the summertime we do get a lot of flies buzzing around the living room window which faces the afternoon sun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado