Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 03:45 PM

29 posts, read 95,048 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine from the Durango, Co area suggests that road bicyclists in Durango are perceived as a good thing among the bicycling community there but are deeply resented among the non-bicycling community. In thinking about moving there, I'd love to hear some objective comments from the non-bicycling community regarding the positive and/or negative impacts (no pun intended) that the plethora of bicyclists have upon the Durango community as a whole. Keep it civil, please. Reb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 04:03 PM

137 posts, read 367,138 times
I can't speak about Durango specifically, but I think that what you describe is the case in most places with a sizeable cycling community. Drivers in the U.S. are still very much getting used to the idea of sharing the road with cyclists. In most European cities, cycling has been seen as a legitimate form of transportation for decades. The number of people choosing to use the bike as a means of transportation is growing rapidly every year in almost every major American city, and cities are responding (some better than others) by developing infrastrucutre catering to cyclists. This includes bike lanes, bike paths, and bike racks.
As far as the impact of cyclists on a community, most people who study urban development see commuter cyclists as an indicator species of rebounding, healthier, and more stable urban areas.
I think as cycling becomes more mainstream, drivers will gripe less and less, and maybe choose to ride a bike themselves.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:30 PM

718 posts, read 1,986,366 times
I am not from the Durango area, nor do I ride there. However, I think some of the same issues come up on the front range. Much of the conflict on the front range has arisen from the large group training rides during which the cyclists are not allowing traffic to pass. The winding mountain roads afford little opportunity to pass anyway, and drivers get frustrated when cyclists riding in the traffic lanes prohibit them from passing in those brief instances when sight lines allow.

The other issue seems to be cyclists lack of respect for traffic laws, including failure to yield traffic signals and stop signs, and riding in the wrong direction on roads. Some of this can be attributed to high-level cyclists who, in an effort to maintain momentum will do a cursory check of approaching traffic and blow stop signs or signals if they feel the risk of being hit is low. The other part is inexperienced cyclists that often come to a town for college. Many do not know the rules of the road and how they pertain to bicycles, and just do what whatever is convenient. All of these behaviors are projected onto the entire cycling community.

Mutual respect is key. Motorists should respect the bicyclist as a legitimate user of the roads, and cyclists should learn the rules of the road, obey said rules, and not ride ride in a manner that impedes traffic.

As a cyclist, I know long rides are a social event and talking in the peliton helps the miles tick away more quickly. However, as a motorist, I get frustrated when I am unable to get around a slow moving vehicle, whether it be a bicyclist, a piece of farm equipment, or a slow driver.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:21 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
Mike Weber wrote:
I get frustrated when I am unable to get around a slow moving vehicle, whether it be a bicyclist, a piece of farm equipment, or a slow driver.
Yeah me too, but I'm learning to use these times as an opportunity to develop more patience....but developing patience is such a damn slow process.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:34 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Weber View Post
The other issue seems to be cyclists lack of respect for traffic laws, including failure to yield traffic signals and stop signs, and riding in the wrong direction on roads. Some of this can be attributed to high-level cyclists who, in an effort to maintain momentum will do a cursory check of approaching traffic and blow stop signs or signals if they feel the risk of being hit is low. The other part is inexperienced cyclists that often come to a town for college. Many do not know the rules of the road and how they pertain to bicycles, and just do what whatever is convenient. All of these behaviors are projected onto the entire cycling community.

Mutual respect is key. Motorists should respect the bicyclist as a legitimate user of the roads, and cyclists should learn the rules of the road, obey said rules, and not ride ride in a manner that impedes traffic.

As a cyclist, I know long rides are a social event and talking in the peliton helps the miles tick away more quickly. However, as a motorist, I get frustrated when I am unable to get around a slow moving vehicle, whether it be a bicyclist, a piece of farm equipment, or a slow driver.
Totally agree. I'm a cyclist and hate when other cyclists don't play by the rules of the road. Just like automobiles, it's not what you can see, but what you can't see, and it's not just for the sake of your life, but for that of other people. Blowing stop signs because it looks safe to the cyclist could, if the cyclist doesn't see an oncoming vehicle, kill the cyclist. However, it could also cause the driver, who may not see or expect the cyclist, to maneuver in such a way that puts other drivers, cyclists and pedestrians lives in danger.

I know a lot of cyclists who believe that some of the rules are absurd for cyclists and break their momentum or what have you. If that's truly the case, you live in a democracy. Work on changing the laws. If your cause is fair and just, particularly on more local levels, you can get things changed. It doesn't work 100% of the time, true, but I think it's better to try than to simply blow off laws which serve as a societal agreement so that we all know what to expect on the road. STOP means STOP.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:39 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Yeah it's weird that folks in Durango don't offer you the same courtesies as those everywhere else. They really need to get with the same program as those super respectful drivers in places like DC and New York.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:31 PM

621 posts, read 1,054,095 times
I used to be "ok" with the bicyclists around Durango.

There is a new "rules don't apply to bikers" trend happening that's just downright unsafe.

They ride with traffic and then when there's a red light, go BETWEEN CARS and catch a cross walk where they ride across without slowing down or looking.

I honestly believe down town should be pedestrian an bikes only and I LOVE the healthy aspects of our riding community.

BUT in Durango, the arrogance of the riders have ruined the attitude, in my opinion. Most of this occurred with the passing of the two across rule allowing bikes more room on the road. They got this law and went renegade.

This past year, I've nearly hit a few due to their antics and that makes me very stressed. I never want to hit anyone and a pedestrian throwing themselves in front of my vehicle kind of tempts fate.

On top of all this, the cell phones while riding trend is also adding to the ridiculousness.

For someone moving into Durango, there are a ton of riding groups that meet to take different routes on a weekly basis. You should enjoy that. I think a huge one is on Mondays.

Lance came through recently as well.... I heard that was cool

Old 02-10-2010, 06:27 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,029,439 times
durango bike riders tend to get out of control.I stopped at a stop sign as a bike rider in full spandex with all the advertisements came flying off the sidewalk in front of me and i creamed him. then he wants to fight so i get out and cream him again and told him he was stupid and broke the law x 3 so call the cops bikeboy. he left limping. they seem to only want motorists to obey the law not them.and yes i ride a bike but dont think i have special rights and you should brake for me. you dont need a liscence to ride so you dont need to learn the rules of the road

Old 02-12-2010, 11:48 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,813,671 times
Much of the hard core cyclists left the Boulder area towards Durango in the early to mid 90's; the people generally upset now are the Southern California circus transplant crowd. Get used to it your in Colorado now; people out there are less than impressed with 8,000 pound SUV prowess. I remember moving to Denver from Boulder and seeing the ignorance..now I personally live in car culture hell again...while bike culture can be annoying at times..car culture just plain SUCKS..Don't like the bikes in Durango,then don't consider moving there. Glad to see a place that exists where cyclists don't take all the crap faced else where.

Last edited by Scott5280; 02-13-2010 at 12:03 AM..

Old 02-13-2010, 02:42 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
Much of the hard core cyclists left the Boulder area towards Durango in the early to mid 90's; the people generally upset now are the Southern California circus transplant crowd. Get used to it your in Colorado now; people out there are less than impressed with 8,000 pound SUV prowess. I remember moving to Denver from Boulder and seeing the ignorance..now I personally live in car culture hell again...while bike culture can be annoying at times..car culture just plain SUCKS..Don't like the bikes in Durango,then don't consider moving there. Glad to see a place that exists where cyclists don't take all the crap faced else where.
If only I could find a cartoon of a cyclist and bike splattered across the grill of a local rancher's pickup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado