Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 09:51 PM

5 posts, read 10,578 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are in our mid-twenties and looking for an apartment in Mesa County. We live in Milwaukee, Wisconsin right now, but are planning to move in the next couple months due to a job transfer.
We are looking for a safe place, but close to night life. Do you have any suggestions on where to live? We would like to pay under $1000.

Also, does anyone know how the job market is for certified teachers? I am currently a teacher in Milwaukee, but I'll need to find a new job in Mesa County. Thanks!!

Erin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 10:25 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,790,515 times
Coming from Milwaukee, the whole area will seem safe to you. There's "bad" spots here and there, but nothing even comparable to the rough parts of Milwaukee.

An apartment will be easy to find for around $650, but you won't find much night life and it won't be easy to land a teaching job.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:21 AM

18,208 posts, read 25,837,835 times
On a different thread sterlinggirl posted stats from the Grand Junction free press, regarding apartment vacancies, which have shot up recently.

You won't have a huge music scene here though, although the Mesa Theater caters to the younger people and occasionally has concerts. So does the Avalon theater, just down the street.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:47 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,773,356 times
There's no nightlife in Mesa county. I'm not joking, it's a fact. I live in the largest city on the western slope and nightlife is dead here.

Most of the area is safe. For $1000/month you can look for rental houses in Grand Junction along F road (Patterson road) between 15th and 32 road. You'll find this area to meet your requirements for safety and nice housing.

The locals will tell you to avoid Clifton and the streets immediately adjacent to "downtown" (Main street) as these areas are known for more crime.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:18 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,685,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
There's no nightlife in Mesa county. I'm not joking, it's a fact. I live in the largest city on the western slope and nightlife is dead here.

Most of the area is safe. For $1000/month you can look for rental houses in Grand Junction along F road (Patterson road) between 15th and 32 road. You'll find this area to meet your requirements for safety and nice housing.

The locals will tell you to avoid Clifton and the streets immediately adjacent to "downtown" (Main street) as these areas are known for more crime.
80skeys is right! In the 7 years my husband and I lived in Grand Junction, we only went out a handful of times, as there really wasn't anything! I remember we saw an early concert at the Mesa Theatre and wanted to go out for drinks afterwards, as the concert was over at 11:45 pm. There wasn't a single place open, not even the Rockslide Brewery (and it was a Sat. night)! Nightlife in GJ is pretty bad.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:04 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,461,631 times
And teaching jobs are scarce. Most Colorado school districts are in tough shape financially, and Grand Junction schools are no exception. If anything, teacher layoffs are a possibility.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:39 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,685,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
And teaching jobs are scarce. Most Colorado school districts are in tough shape financially, and Grand Junction schools are no exception. If anything, teacher layoffs are a possibility.
Yes, I would agree with this as well. I forgot to post a reply to your second question.

I was a teacher in GJ for the 2006-2007 school year and even then it was tough to land that job. I went through a post-baccalaureate teacher program at Mesa State, the college in GJ, where I was required to do a year internship in an elementary classroom. Even then, when I basically volunteered for an entire year in the classroom, I was only interviewed one time for then entire district and it was for a position at the same school I did my internship for. I knew the principal and other teachers. I think you would really struggle to find a job not having an in right now, as unfair as that is.

I'm not sure what the substitute pool is like in Mesa Co. as I no longer live there, but it's terrible where I live. I'm lucky to get a job maybe once or twice a week right now, and earlier in the school year I didn't get a single call! The reality is that many teachers are being laid off and joining the list of subs, and since they have already taught in the district, other teachers know them and are requesting them first.

Old 02-13-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
One of my closer friends in the valley is a custodian, assigned at Fruita high school, and I asked him for an update on this question. He said basically what Jazzlover has stated here. People have tightened their belts here over the last couple years and it's going to be that way for a while longer.

Old 02-13-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
80skeys is right! In the 7 years my husband and I lived in Grand Junction, we only went out a handful of times, as there really wasn't anything! I remember we saw an early concert at the Mesa Theatre and wanted to go out for drinks afterwards, as the concert was over at 11:45 pm. There wasn't a single place open, not even the Rockslide Brewery (and it was a Sat. night)! Nightlife in GJ is pretty bad.
Yea, I've been here for the better half of two decades, and worked construction short term assignments here in the 80's and late 70's. It's lacking unfortunately.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:43 AM

5 posts, read 10,578 times
Thank you for all the responses! This is a lot to think about. My boyfriend has an offer to move to Grand Junction for a job. We'll only go if it is right for both of us. I have a pretty good job right now here as a 4th grade teacher in Milwaukee Public Schools. I was hoping for a sub job if we moved out there (I realize that I would probably not get a full-time teaching job). However, just like here, there are teacher layoffs for next school year and sub jobs are also scarce.

How is the employment in other areas? Starbucks?!

Right now we live downtown Milwaukee where we have a great night life. Not that we like to go out a lot, but there is a lot to be offered in Milwaukee.

We will be making this decision this week, so any other advice is greatly appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado