Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 05:07 PM

12,259 posts, read 24,359,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I think your right. I wonder how many steel towns can say that from the 2010 census?
I found this about what is going on with other manufacturing cities and makes me even more proud of what Pueblo has done to turn around our economy since the economic collapse in the 80's.

This is from the Washington Independent:

The rest of the list of metropolitan areas posting population losses or stagnation is a grim reminder of the death of industry in the U.S. Despite having less than a tenth of Detroit’s total population, Flint, Mich., comes in second in terms of total population loss. Looking instead at percentage of population lost, Flint tops the list, with more than 1 percent of the population gone between 2008 and 2009. Other than a handful of Florida retirement communities on the list largely due to “natural decrease” and immigration-related demographic shifts, the rest are a laundry list of Rust Belt cities that were all once host to manufacturing powerhouses: Battle Creek and Saginaw, Mich.; Youngstown, Cleveland and Dayton, Ohio; Pittsburgh and Johnstown, Pa. And so the list goes on.

Cities across the U.S. dying, according to census data | The Washington Independent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 05:34 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,167,257 times
Quote:
I found this about what is going on with other manufacturing cities and makes me even more proud of what Pueblo has done to turn around our economy since the economic collapse in the 80's.

This is from the Washington Independent:

The rest of the list of metropolitan areas posting population losses or stagnation is a grim reminder of the death of industry in the U.S. Despite having less than a tenth of Detroit’s total population, Flint, Mich., comes in second in terms of total population loss. Looking instead at percentage of population lost, Flint tops the list, with more than 1 percent of the population gone between 2008 and 2009. Other than a handful of Florida retirement communities on the list largely due to “natural decrease” and immigration-related demographic shifts, the rest are a laundry list of Rust Belt cities that were all once host to manufacturing powerhouses: Battle Creek and Saginaw, Mich.; Youngstown, Cleveland and Dayton, Ohio; Pittsburgh and Johnstown, Pa. And so the list goes on.

Cities across the U.S. dying, according to census data | The Washington Independent
LOL! Don't let the Pittsburghers get wind of that link!

Old 02-27-2011, 10:41 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,923,137 times
The big hit to Pueblo was similar to the mainstream rust belt cities, I agree with Joss on this point. The fact that Pueblo has seemingly been able to recover faster than some of the others probably has as much to do with its location in Colorado and not in the "rust belt" proper. It was mutually disastrous for rust belt cities, because they were surrounded by other fading cities with collapsing economies. Detroit's decline started in the 1950s, really, just after the city's population peaked at over 1.8 million. Meanwhile Pueblo was surrounded by areas that were generally still enjoying economic prosperity, growing population on the front range, etc...

It doesn't fully explain it, but it certainly gives some explanation.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
The big hit to Pueblo was similar to the mainstream rust belt cities, I agree with Joss on this point. The fact that Pueblo has seemingly been able to recover faster than some of the others probably has as much to do with its location in Colorado and not in the "rust belt" proper. It was mutually disastrous for rust belt cities, because they were surrounded by other fading cities with collapsing economies. Detroit's decline started in the 1950s, really, just after the city's population peaked at over 1.8 million. Meanwhile Pueblo was surrounded by areas that were generally still enjoying economic prosperity, growing population on the front range, etc...

It doesn't fully explain it, but it certainly gives some explanation.
That has helped and our pro growth polices such as PEDCo and the 1/2 sales tax we voted on to bring in primary jobs to the city. Now Pueblo is working on 2 large developments and if they become a reality should cause unprecedented growth in the next 20 years here while the "rust belt" continues to struggle.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:42 PM

Because of the change in population the state needs to redraw the congressional districts including the 3rd district. This was in the Chieftain about the 3rd congressional district.

The 3rd Congressional District, which includes Pueblo and the entire Western Slope, is 12,271 people short of the new target population — meaning lawmakers will have to adjust its boundaries to add that many residents. It's a comparatively small number and might only meaning pulling an Eastern Plains county or a mountain county into the enormous district.

The link: Face of politics acquiring new lines - The Pueblo Chieftain: Local

This is how I would draw the new 3rd Congressional district.

The dark gray is the counties I would add to the 3rd district.

Colorado in 2020:

If Pueblo could get the CEP and some kind of tech park as well as the growth that is occurring and the Pueblo MSA reached 200,000 to 225,000 by 2020 that would be great for us.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
If Pueblo could get the CEP and some kind of tech park as well as the growth that is occurring and the Pueblo MSA reached 200,000 to 225,000 by 2020 that would be great for us.
It wouldn't increase political clout any. The result would be that they would shave off parts of the district to meet the new target population in 2020. Or even add areas, depending on how much the state grows this decade.

Based on this past decade of growth, I think a more reasonable estimate of Pueblo County in 2020 would be 180,000.

On this same topic, I think that growth in Colorado Springs will slow a little again this decade. Under current trends, the city is on pace to hit 480,000 in 2020, but I think it'll round out to about 465,000 instead. The MSA, which also includes Teller County, may be around 775,000 or so.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:
It wouldn't increase political clout any. The result would be that they would shave off parts of the district to meet the new target population in 2020. Or even add areas, depending on how much the state grows this decade.

Based on this past decade of growth, I think a more reasonable estimate of Pueblo County in 2020 would be 180,000.

On this same topic, I think that growth in Colorado Springs will slow a little again this decade. Under current trends, the city is on pace to hit 480,000 in 2020, but I think it'll round out to about 465,000 instead. The MSA, which also includes Teller County, may be around 775,000 or so.
I agree with you on Colorado Springs. Pueblo is in a different situation. If we get the Colorado Energy Park with the nuclear power plant this decade that would mean over 10,000 construction workers and thousands of permanent employees which would cause unprecedented growth in Pueblo much like the military caused unprecedented growth in Colorado Springs in the past. Then the tech park would just be icing on the cake and add even more population growth to the MSA.

As far as political clout. It would help in that Pueblo would be a larger city not only in the 3rd district but in the state but yes the 3rd district would be geographically smaller because of more people not only in Pueblo but Grand Junction. In fact I would suspect in the future as both cities grow they will get their own congressional district.

Last edited by Josseppie; 03-01-2011 at 10:46 PM..

Old 03-01-2011, 10:56 PM

Once again you're banking on something that hasn't even broken ground yet. My estimates for Colorado Springs are based both on current trends, allowing for some slowing of growth, and with no major changes to what the city already has. Same goes for my estimate of Pueblo in 10 years.

Maybe that project will break ground, maybe it won't. Maybe something that neither of us know about will spring up. But based on what both cities have right now, and based on the most recent trends, I think I've got a pretty accurate guess for both cities.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Once again you're banking on something that hasn't even broken ground yet. My estimates for Colorado Springs are based both on current trends, allowing for some slowing of growth, and with no major changes to what the city already has. Same goes for my estimate of Pueblo in 10 years.

Maybe that project will break ground, maybe it won't. Maybe something that neither of us know about will spring up. But based on what both cities have right now, and based on the most recent trends, I think I've got a pretty accurate guess for both cities.
That is why I used the word "if" because in the end that is all projections are. However, if you look on the Pueblo Green Collar Economy, Wind, Solar, Nuclear thread you can see that the process has already begun for the proposed energy park so its possibly that it could break ground this decade.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:46 PM

I fully realize that you're just speculating, and I don't mean to be a kill-joy. The reason that I mention this is because one of us is a little more grounded in reality than the other. Projects can be cancelled with ease in this economy. Even projects that have already started can stop mid-way. I certainly don't hope for this, but it's a reality in the world we live in.

The economy won't stay down forever, though. Hopefully things swing around and the project begins, as well as other projects all around the state. I just hope things improve enough that we can get these projects going, and sustain them once they are under way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado