Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 05:05 PM

138 posts, read 339,706 times

Advertisements

Truth be told, it is a lot easier for poorer people to afford college nowadays than in was in the 50s. With government pell grants of up to $5500 a year, easy access to federal and private loans, and additonal money awarded for keeping good grades throught ones' college and High School carreer, poor people certainly have an advantage in education. These people just need to know that and need to go to schools that will not leave them in a hole of student debt. There are colleges in Colorado where in state tuiton is less than $11,000 a year which means a poor person can get college for a pretty cheap price.

Also, If I have children I will not send them to the city schools in Pueblo after seeing what those classrooms are like, I can not let my children suffer under the Pueblo education system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 01:09 PM

299 posts, read 903,392 times
I gave this a little more thought. There are other ways to measure how well the schools are doing in addition to standardized test scores. A good barometer would be to look at how well students perform the first time they ACT exam. They should also look at how many students obtain a Bachelor's degree within 5 years of graduating high school.

I went through my yearbook and counted 25 people out of about 120 who I graduated with who are going to be receiving a Bachelor's degree by next May. That comes out to about 20% of the students in my graduating class. Those numbers could be higher, but if it is it won't by very many.

The numbers for other local high schools could be higher, so I think it is fair to say that only 25% of the students who graduate from local high schools are going straight to college and getting the job done. This proves that people in Pueblo don't value education as much as they should.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:48 AM

299 posts, read 903,392 times
Here's some more great news for Pueblo's public school system:

http://www.chieftain.com/news/local/...cc4c03286.html

I'm not bashing Kathy West for stepping down, I just think it would be nice if our school system could have some stability.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:12 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,452,401 times
^

I don't know anything about her, good or bad.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:02 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
I've heard nothing but good about her from some very reputable sources.

Anybody else having Verizon Wireless probs today?

Bad wreck on I-25 in Pueblo today somewhere north of Hwy 50 I think. Semi Tractor Trailer may have rolled over. Hope people are ok and/or get help.

Over 100 F today.

Stay cool.

Old 11-10-2010, 03:08 PM

1 posts, read 757 times
The public schools in Pueblo are really struggling. I have chosen The McClelland School for my 2 kids. The school is an independent school, and our kids test 2-5 grade levels above national average. We are really proud of that. You do have to apply, and be accepted, but if you can get in, I really recommend it. It is an amazing school with wonderful teachers, and I wouldn't send my kids anywhere else! They have a website, you should check it out. If you value education, this is the school for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado