Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 04:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,384 times

Advertisements

Hey, so Im really confused on where to move to...Ive never been to Colorado but its been my dream since 9th grade to move there as soon as I could. Im not sure on where exactly I would like the best so I was hoping to get some help. Im really looking at either Fort Collins or Colorado Springs.

Ive heard great things from both places. Im 23, planning on going to college to finish my degree in Environmental Science, so hopefully one of these places have places I can work while Im getting my education or after.

I love concerts and going to chill bars to listen to new artists. I am originally from NC moved to Florida, too hot for me down here and not exactly my type of place so I decided its time to go through with my dream.

So basically Im wondering if its easy to get a job, decently priced places to live and people my age? I would love to get as much feed back as possible. Hoping to move in August!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 04:16 PM

26,144 posts, read 48,806,976 times
Either one works. Whichever college in COLO is the best for Environmental Science is where you should go. Nightlife can be had with a trip to Denver, though there is "some" in both COLO SPGS and FOCO. It's about 90 minutes from either to downtown Denver nightlife.

COLO SPGS is a big military town, with UCCS and Colorado College.

FOCO is smaller and mostly noted for COLO State Univ.

There may be added tuition costs for out of state students who haven't been residents for a minimum period (a year?). Jobs are not plentiful right now but there's always something available even it's only waiting tables.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:24 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,662,824 times
Colorado State University in Fort Collins has an excellent Natural Resources college. I would look into that and see if it's something you want to pursue. The town sounds like a perfect fit for you, with plenty of nightlife for a college student. It also has a much more intimate feel that Co. Springs, IMO.

I'm not sure about the job situation there. I know everywhere the market is struggling, so this may be a pretty hard time to move. But if you plan it correctly, you may do just fine. Best of luck!

Old 04-27-2010, 04:04 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,398,390 times
In your chosen field, you will probably wind up going where the job is, and that very likely may not be in Colorado. Fort Collins is absolutely awash (and has been for years) with CSU grads determined to stay there--they compete pretty savagely for available jobs. Similarly, Colorado Springs is awash with ex- and retired military people also determined to stay in the area. Again, competition for available jobs can be fierce. A zillion people have the "dream" of living in Colorado--only the most determined and best prepared succeed at it for anything much longer than a few years. Just the facts of life. And looking at the last few years (or listening to the recent transplants) may not be instructive. The last few years, until things crashed, were about the best times economically that Colorado had ever seen. But that has not been the norm for nearly all of the state's history. Colorado has had far more periods, some lasting for decades, when it was a very difficult place in which to make a living--I think that we are now embarking on another of those protracted periods of difficult times.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
In your chosen field, you will probably wind up going where the job is, and that very likely may not be in Colorado. Fort Collins is absolutely awash (and has been for years) with CSU grads determined to stay there--they compete pretty savagely for available jobs. Similarly, Colorado Springs is awash with ex- and retired military people also determined to stay in the area. Again, competition for available jobs can be fierce. A zillion people have the "dream" of living in Colorado--only the most determined and best prepared succeed at it for anything much longer than a few years. Just the facts of life. And looking at the last few years (or listening to the recent transplants) may not be instructive. The last few years, until things crashed, were about the best times economically that Colorado had ever seen. But that has not been the norm for nearly all of the state's history. Colorado has had far more periods, some lasting for decades, when it was a very difficult place in which to make a living--I think that we are now embarking on another of those protracted periods of difficult times.
While this is true for the most part, I consider myself (although not currently living in CO) a pretty good source. My family has been in CO since the turn of the century and we've all managed to make it in some form or another! Some times were easier than others, sure! Yes, competition is fierce for the job once you get the education, but my understanding is that you need to get the education first.

I would look at the schools where you think there is a good program for you and start there. I suggested Ft. Collins because of the natural resources program. I'm not suggesting that this may be the place you end up once you have the degree, but it would be a nice place to live while you do.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:29 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,398,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
While this is true for the most part, I consider myself (although not currently living in CO) a pretty good source. My family has been in CO since the turn of the century and we've all managed to make it in some form or another! Some times were easier than others, sure! Yes, competition is fierce for the job once you get the education, but my understanding is that you need to get the education first.

I would look at the schools where you think there is a good program for you and start there. I suggested Ft. Collins because of the natural resources program. I'm not suggesting that this may be the place you end up once you have the degree, but it would be a nice place to live while you do.
Having long-time connections in Colorado is truly a help in getting a job and staying here, there is no doubt about that.

The issue with "natural resource" jobs--forestry, range management, environmental science, hydrology, etc.--is that many of those tend to be with the federal government. That means a) that there may not be a lot of jobs and the people that are in them tend to stay in them for a long career (meaning little turnover) and b) that you go where the federal government tells you. A friend who works with Forest Service has literally been transferred all over the Western Unites States in his career--some nice places and some real pits--but that is the nature of the beast. Interestingly, he and several of his cohorts working in Colorado did not get their degrees from CSU, but from Utah State University. My understanding from him is that USU has a very good natural resource program. I would prefer Logan over Fort Collins any day. By the way, my friend is not LDS, and did not have any problems at Utah State being a non-Mormon.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Having long-time connections in Colorado is truly a help in getting a job and staying here, there is no doubt about that.

The issue with "natural resource" jobs--forestry, range management, environmental science, hydrology, etc.--is that many of those tend to be with the federal government. That means a) that there may not be a lot of jobs and the people that are in them tend to stay in them for a long career (meaning little turnover) and b) that you go where the federal government tells you. A friend who works with Forest Service has literally been transferred all over the Western Unites States in his career--some nice places and some real pits--but that is the nature of the beast. Interestingly, he and several of his cohorts working in Colorado did not get their degrees from CSU, but from Utah State University. My understanding from him is that USU has a very good natural resource program. I would prefer Logan over Fort Collins any day. By the way, my friend is not LDS, and did not have any problems at Utah State being a non-Mormon.
Very true Jazzlover! I have a forestry degree from CSU, and worked for the FS for about 5 years. I think it depends on your ultimate goal with your career as to whether you'll stay in an area or transfer. The FS doesn't "require" anyone to move. If your perfectly happy with your position, and don't want to move further up the career ladder, then you can stay put. This tends to happen in those locations which are highly desirable, such as Ft. Collins, CO. Most of the FS employees are lifers, meaning they will retire in that position. But, it's not to say there aren't beautiful locations with government offices that are not considered highly desirable. And yes, there are some pits (I worked in one of them) as well, but it's not a bad way to get your foot in the door.

USU does have a great natural resources program as well. I have several friends that attended USU, and they also were not LDS. Great suggestion!

Old 04-29-2010, 11:22 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,737,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCuaKNe View Post
Hey, so Im really confused on where to move to...Ive never been to Colorado but its been my dream since 9th grade to move there as soon as I could. Im not sure on where exactly I would like the best so I was hoping to get some help. Im really looking at either Fort Collins or Colorado Springs.

Both those are nice places, I think you'd like either of them.

Quote:
I love concerts and going to chill bars to listen to new artists.
woah! Then you're moving to the wrong state. There's not much of this even in Denver. I'm a musician and I know some of the local musicians in Denver and the general complaint is that there's a lack of venue for new artists.

Quote:
So basically Im wondering if its easy to get a job, decently priced places to live and people my age?
Yes, yes yes to each of these. You should find it easier to get a job in Colorado than in Florida. And yes there's decently priced places.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:51 PM

2 posts, read 3,265 times
Check out Fort Collins & Colorado State University for the Warner College of Natural Resources. It is in the top ten environmental programs in the entire country.I graduated from there in 2005. Unfortunately the economy here in Colorado right now is absolutely awful. No jobs to be had. I have been out of work for nearly 2 years now here in Colorado & plan to move back to the Northeast!
Also if you like music Denver is better than Fort Collins. I am not familiar with Colo Springs nightlife! I lived in Fort Collins for 3 years and now metro Denver for 2 years. Nice place to live if you can get employment. If no job lined up I would stay back East for now.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:23 PM

69 posts, read 262,946 times
Quote:
only the most determined and best prepared succeed at it for anything much longer than a few years.
What nonsense. Virtually anyone can settle in whichever state in the United States they choose to, as long as they can settle for the income they end up earning.

No state is "unreachable".

Utter nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado