Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2010, 11:36 PM

157 posts, read 649,981 times

Advertisements

Tri-State Generation and Transmission Association, Inc.

Wondering about the effects of the Tri-State generating plant (coal) in Nucla on the air in and around Montrose proper ... Has this plant been closed? If so, when? If no, can anyone give me a link to actual data that is current?

State of the Air strangely doesn't list Montrose county ... Colorado

Scorecard.org gives air release numbers for Montrose county that seem quite high in comparison to my expections, especially in comparison to Durango (LaPlata County), with which I am very familiar ...
Pollution Rankings | By County

Can anyone give a comparison to the air in Durango or maybe Santa Fe which is well known for low pollution?

Thank you all very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 08:38 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,396,143 times
Most of Montrose's air quality problems are generated locally--wood stoves, automobiles, and particulate dust. Like most of western Colorado, Montrose can suffer severe air inversions in winter. I don't think the Nucla power plant has ever really caused issues in Montrose because it is nearly 100 miles away and is separated from the Uncompahgre Valley where Montrose lies by the nearly 10,000 elevation Uncompahgre Plateau. The Nucla plant is also relatively small, unlike the huge Four Corners generation stations near Farmington, New Mexico that can spread a plume of emissions that will somtimes reach Durango.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:06 PM

157 posts, read 649,981 times
Thanks JL ~ that's the type of answer I was looking for .. I have been living for a while in Farmington, and, because of some immune problems I have, I am having a really hard time with the power plants + gas/oil pollution.

Thanks for your help, JL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado